BVR-capable western aircraft

BrzI

I currently only gave the F15C.

Am looking at the Harrier, Vigen and Mirage. But it seems to me that their incarnations in DCS World do not give them any BVR air-to-air missiles.

I know the Harrier IRL has the AIM120 but not in DCS.

Maybe I will just wait for the Hornet.

Any comments appreciated...

Thanks

M2000C has BVR missiles.

SUper 530D but they are only Semi Active, Like the Aim7M requiring Radar lock until impact or else the missile looses track.

If you have the F15C a FC3 plane you could also consider getting the Rest of FC3 which have the Su27 and Mig29A/G/S. all of which have radar guided missiles.

Other wise if you want a full fidelty module that will have fully active fire and forget BVr missiles (like the Aim120) youl have to wait for the Hornet.

The reason the harrier doesnt have Aim120 ingame because Razbams first version is the Av8B Harrier 2 Night attack, which has no Radar. Razbam does eventually plan to add the improved Harrier 2 + which will have a Multi mode An/APG 65 radar and thus will have aim120 capability, but the Harrier will still be a subsonic attack jet, without the Super good performance of a actual supersonic Fighter Design.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Wait for the F/A-18C and The Tomcat.

It is not that DCS doesn't allow those aircraft you mentioned to not have BVR capabilities.

Yes, these aircraft do have versions which have them, but they are not the one being simulated.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

As others have said: The Mirage 2000 has a BVR missile, which is the Super 530D.

The F-15C, Su-27, Su-33 and MiG-29 (all part of Flaming Cliffs 3) have BVR missiles as well.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have the full FC3 range but want to move out. If the Mirage has a semiactive bvr missile that will be fine with me as I am used to the Su27s R27 series...

Guess that rules out the Viggen...

AJS37 Viggen is a strike plane, it carries only IR missiles for self defence.

If you want BVR with clickable pit, go for M2000.

It doesn't get anymore BVR than the F-14 :)

This is true. :)

Back to the OP's question: among DCS modules available now, the Mirage 2000C is the only one with real BVR capability. It is a nice module and fun to fly, it also improved a lot recently with the flight model update imho. Feels much better now.

That said, I fully expect the Tomcat and Hornet module to set new highs for flight model accuracy, visual fidelity, and depth of systems. They will be awesome and offer a lot of new features over the current DCS modules.

So it depends on your time frame. If you really want something now (or within a month or two) you can buy the Mirage 2000C with confidence.

But if you can only buy one or two new modules over the next 6 months, I would definitely hold out for the Tomcat or Hornet. :)

-Nick

The really high end radar simulation stuff is fairly new still, but there's a long list of aircraft currently in development that will include new BVR capabilities, besides those already mentioned here, the F-4E and JF-17 are BVR capable aircraft, additionally there are a few others here and there being worked on by 3rd parties, but they aren't very far along yet. A lot of them are still waiting on the radar tech to be finalised by Eagle Dynamics.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

M2000 is currently the only fully-modelled 4th gen fighter that forms the backbone of a 1st world air force and is my bae.

However the need to maintain a lock on the enemy the whole time means that by the time the 530 reaches the target they are well within visual range.

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

Am looking at the Harrier, Vigen and Mirage. But it seems to me that their incarnations in DCS World do not give them any BVR air-to-air missiles.

I know the Harrier IRL has the AIM120 but not in DCS...

Mirage is the best capable A-A platform out of those, only one with A-A Radar and radar guided AAMs

The Harriers in real life had multiple variants, some with better AAM capability. The only one we have is the AV-8B Harrier II Night Attack - an attack aircraft best suited to CAS. The only AIM-120 equipped Harriers were the Sea Harrier FA.2 and the AV-8B Harrier II+

Only the FRS.1, FA.2 and AV-8B+ had A-A radar capability. The rest are more suited to ground attack with only very limited A-A capability.

We also have one variant of the Viggen - the AJS-37, which is a 90's upgrade of the ground attack/anti-ship variant of the Viggen whose radar only has very basic A-A functionality if any. The JA-37 Viggen however was the A-A variant which could carry the Rb 71 (BAe Skyflash - itself derived from the AIM-7) later variants (JA-37D) I believe could carry AIM-120.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well, I bought the Mirage. The 530 missile hardly qualifies as a viable BVR weapon imho.

Having said that, it looks nice. I am working through the (incomplete due to constant upgrades) tutorials and Chuck's documents.

Lots to learn - I am definitely not giving up on it.

If anybody has an X52 HOTAS config file they are willing to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks