Landing - Overhead Break

Steinsch

Hello!

I recently learned how to do the overhead maneuver and it is so much fun!

Here's a tutorial that I hope will help new pilots join the pattern military style.

By the way, how do I make the Youtube thumbnail appear in the post?

Edited by Steinsch

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

Nice video, Mate! Short question: why do you fly the pattern clockwise? In every flightmanual I know the pattern is counterclockwise...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

Nice video, Mate! Short question: why do you fly the pattern clockwise? In every flightmanual I know the pattern is counterclockwise...

Not always. Lets use Nellis as an example. If 03R is the active landing RW as per ATC. The OHB would not be performed counterclockwise to cross over RW 03L due to possible exsisting AC using 03L. This is just one example..

@Steinsch Nice job. just a little high @ the roll out

Edited by Bolt-1

My Specs. below

ASUS TUF Z390 Pro Gaming

I5 9600K@4.5 Ghz.

32 Gb. G. Skill Rip Jaw V DDR4 @ 3200

MSI Gaming 1070 TI

Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME Pcie 500GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

OCZ 120GB vertex 2 SSD

Win10 64 Pro

TM Warthog

TM Cougar

Samsuny Odyssey +

CH Pro Pedals

ASUS 32" 2560X1440 Main

Samsung 23" LED/LCD 1920X1080

Corsair TX 850W

Corsair H100i GTX

HAF 932

ATC clears aircraft for the procedure with a specification of where to break and direction of traffic pattern. It could be right or left depending. The break may be at mid-field. But it may be over the numbers or elsewhere in order to separate traffic. This is also an approach which is safer for some aircraft with bad glide ratios. And in the US, it's an FAA procedure that can be requested (AIM 5-4 I think). I have flown the procedure as a flight of two civilian aircraft. It's a safe way to split up and land. Basically it's an upwind entry into the pattern.

The whole idea of the overhead is to bring in a flight together hauling ass (military birds have waivers for speed) and then split them up over the field within sight of each other and within the base air defense protection. Otherwise you would have guys strung out for miles at slow speed just begging to be shot down by a bandit or more likely small arms or manpads. Also, it makes it easier to recover several flights of aircraft as they are not all trying to sequence themselves 50 miles out.

I believe this procedure was developed during WWII. Then it was common for the enemy to follow you home. This how many 262's as well as allied planes were killed or nearly killed. Now it's used for safety and to maintain skills for carrier landings.

Edited by Zeagle

Hello!

I recently learned how to do the overhead maneuver and it is so much fun!

Here's a tutorial that I hope will help new pilots join the pattern military style.

https://youtu.be/WxwtRTWfeE4

By the way, how do I make the Youtube thumbnail appear in the post?

Take the part I highlighted red in your link, and then wrap it with the youtube tags. Example below, but remove the added space before the first youtube, and after the second youtube.

[ YOUTUBE]WxwtRTWfeE4[/YOUTUBE ]

Result:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Not always. Lets use Nellis as an example. If 03R is the active landing RW as per ATC. The OHB would not be performed counterclockwise to cross over RW 03L due to possible exsisting AC using 03L. This is just one example..

@Steinsch Nice job. just a little high @ the roll out

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the term "roll out". Is it when the plane is downwind?

Steinsch

Take the part I highlighted red in your link, and then wrap it with the youtube tags. Example below, but remove the added space before the first youtube, and after the second youtube.

[ YOUTUBE]WxwtRTWfeE4[/YOUTUBE ]

Result:

Thanks Panther, it will help. I'm planning on doing more videos soon.

Steinsch

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the overhead maneuver is just one of several ways to join the pattern. And the pattern may be clockwise or counterclockwise, and this is stated in the VAD charts.

For example, in Kobuleti, flying the pattern counterclockwise would have had me flying over the city. Probably a big no no in this case.

Steinsch

This is an incredibly well done and professional video. The infographics are very nice and helpful and the in cockpit instruction is on point.

The only problem I had, sorry, was that I had a lot of trouble actually understanding you due to your accent :( I feel bad saying that, so please take it as the constructive criticism it is intended to be.

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

This is an incredibly well done and professional video. The infographics are very nice and helpful and the in cockpit instruction is on point.

The only problem I had, sorry, was that I had a lot of trouble actually understanding you due to your accent :( I feel bad saying that, so please take it as the constructive criticism it is intended to be.

Haha, thank you. And no worries, that was expected. That's why I made subtitles available with the video. I'm glad you liked it! :)

Steinsch