Memory Limit/Load Issues

NineLine

I still hope that DCS 2.5.1 (https://forums.eagle.ru/announcement.php?f=105) will better my experience with 2.5

I´m on 8 GB RAM, and while it can run ok, I still see some stutter.

As told other places in this forum, I have zero issues with a number of equal types of games like DCS 2.5 and also newer games (first person shooters, racing sims etc.), so increasing my RAM from 8GB to 16GB is not what I would like, just to get DCS up running smoother.

probelm is also that stutter and freezes, as well as MP troubles are not just occuring for 8GB users only.

So as long as I see people with 16GB systems report equal troubles with stutter and freezes, I´m not going to "waste" money on more RAM and rather will wait and see how much the better memory usage will be in 2.5.1.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but let us not forget that we all wanted ED to move on, go further, make it better, more modules, more maps, better terrain....it came at a price.

OK but the price is unusually too high. DCS 2.5 (and just that piece of software) requires me to pay ~1500€ for new hardware just for barely running it. This may be 2x or 3x the monthly salary of many of DCS users depending of their origin btw.

As stated above, the new hardware performance is somewhat stagnating and we'll not see decent offers for years. This has the perverting effect to think this is "normal" to spend more than 1000€ into a GPU, as I can read more and more people in this forum having it, not to mention those are bragging with their 5000$ rig or some other elitist posts mocking whoever can't put that required money to play DCS.

Everything is not so bad, now the discount offers of DCS modules make me laugh…

Meanwhile, ED can make DCS better by fixing issues, broken features (since lomac days), and perform optimizations.

OK at the moment, it comes at a price, the question is who can accept it.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

OK but the price is unusually too high.

The current price for RAM and video cards is an anomaly. It isn't ED's fault.

In general though, complaining about the cost to meet the system requirements is rather like complaining because you can't afford to compete in NASCAR.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ah, Mister 5000$ rig, you could better said it's like complaining because I can't afford to buy a private Su-27. How do expect to make the situation better by saying bizarre things like this ?

Isn't it ED's fault to be one of the few to choose deferred shading when the public hardware is not ready yet ?

Don't worry about me I still have a lot to enjoy with DCS 1.5.8

Edited by Bogey Jammer

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

You dont need a 5000$ rig to fly DCS.

Look at mine. 8 year old CPU, old DD3 Ram with a 1060 running at 60 FPS 2.5. Deferred Shading On.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

^THIS

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Isn't it ED's fault to be one of the few to choose deferred shading when the public hardware is not ready yet ?

No, it is what you call progress.

Microsoft is already introducing raytracing/raycasting into DirectX...

So expect the requirement for a DirectX 12 compatible GPU in about a year for new decent game titles.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ah, Mister 5000$ rig,...

Btw, most of that money is not in the CPU cabinet. My computer is in my sig and you can see, quite easily, that there are better machines out there. I have not felt the need to move up since the important things, memory and GPU (bought before prices went nuts), are covered.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The current price for RAM and video cards is an anomaly. It isn't ED's fault.

In general though, complaining about the cost to meet the system requirements is rather like complaining because you can't afford to compete in NASCAR.

If a man is a die hard fan of DCS, he'll probably pay up. Or use an older version, since he knows about it. But if he's not one yet, it's almost a sure hit that he won't ever become one. And that is a problem as I see it.

ED's fault here is failure to pack up everything in such a way that it fits non-SSD hard drive and exceeds 8GB limits. Yet again, this drags through the whole series since F2.0. Perhaps, 20 years later, it's time to finally address this. Or not -- generally, I'm pretty content with 1.5.6, and the only 2 things that need a lot of love are described above, while loss of playerbase is mainly ED's concern (I don't do MP).

I have not felt the need to move up since the important things, memory and GPU (bought before prices went nuts), are covered.
What can I tell? Lucky you. Will you recommend the same (buying their hardware before prices skyrocketed) to any newcomer?
Edited by Черный Дракул

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

No, it is what you call progress.

Microsoft is already introducing raytracing/raycasting into DirectX...

So expect the requirement for a DirectX 12 compatible GPU in about a year for new decent game titles.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

Vulkan API

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Vulkan API

Interesting. I heard about this several months ago and wondered how, if and when ED would implement this into our beloved DCS World.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Vulkan API
Yep, for DCS maybe, but many major studios will have their Premium titles out on DirectX 12. So for the other "games" I am pretty sure, the requirements go in that direction... As always. New rendering and 3D tech is developed for the framework (DirectX, OpenGL, now Vulkan) and then game developers go and implement them into their games, to make them better (looking) than the competition. Sideeffect is rising specs for the hardware.

The current market prices are that bad because of cryptocurrencies, AI, machine learning and cognitive services (Siri, Alexa, Watson) with cloud data centers that use GPUs as "Computing Power" for deep learning etc. and fast RAM for high performance computing like SAP Hana (In-Memory-DBs). Until politics address the needs of the gamer and try some market regulation, we have to live with that, unfortunately... and to be honest, this is unlikely.

At least the first people realize that burning thousands of tons, of fossile fuels to produce electricity for mining a "block" in a chain is utterly stupid, especially as there is the same value behind, as in the sea shells of ancient society... So either regulations bring down this pseudo economy quick, or the market deflates through a realization what a blockchains value actually is.

Unlike company shares, there is no company behind/a production value in a bitcoin, other than the transaction and the "believe" that a cryptic-key has value.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The only thing that makes ANYTHING have value... even the gov backed dollar etc... is that people agree that it has value.

All currencies are the same. Some are just more controlled by people than others.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The only thing that makes ANYTHING have value... even the gov backed dollar etc... is that people agree that it has value.

All currencies are the same. Some are just more controlled by people than others.

I am not talking about currencies, I talk about company shares, which represent the "value" of the companies products and assets. Cryptocurrencies are currently traded like stock market items, which is a problem as it has no actual value backing it.

A share of a bakery producing bread lumps at least represents some bread you can eat or exchange. A cryptocoin represents a couple kilowatts wasted and the service of the transaction, plus the hope people at the other and are willing to accept it as a "payment". With the risk that when the transaction is executed, the actual course has not lost 30-50% or gone up another 200%...

If cryptocurrencies represented a stable agreement on the value it represents, like the old sea shells, gold coins or paper dollars, it may even work.

Shagrat

Just FYI From other threads about stutters, I have taken off Anti Aliasing, vsync,. Then done the same on the NVIDIA Settings. Also in windows 10, changed Power to Best Performance from power saving options.

Flew the same mission in Caucasus Map, Stable version, High Terrain etc, smoke off, and slightly decreased range and trees.

Next flight was stutter free,works for me until the updates sort it out. Hope this is of some help

The current market prices are that bad because of cryptocurrencies, AI, machine learning and cognitive services (Siri, Alexa, Watson) with cloud data centers that use GPUs as "Computing Power" for deep learning etc. and fast RAM for high performance computing like SAP Hana (In-Memory-DBs). Until politics address the needs of the gamer and try some market regulation, we have to live with that, unfortunately... and to be honest, this is unlikely.

These are some of the reasons. Cryptocurrency mining is a fad. The more are mined, the more computational resources are needed. Mining individually at home is worthless for some years already, and now there are stories about data-centers hacked for their power. Managing the virtual money will become too expensive as the government will progressively regulate this system, and the energy cost will rise.

The most important cause is the shortage of silicon wafers used by our CPUs and RAM. The manufacturers seems to want to avoid production overcapacity, and exchange rate risks. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2018/04/13/2003691190

See you in 2020

I'll buy :

Hi folks, I have been having major memory crashes with 2.5 (with and without VR) but now I know why. The majority of people probably don't touch their pagefile so this may not be for everyone but worth looking at regardless. The default setting is to have Windows manage it, which is ideal under Win10. I used to manually change the pagefile size back in the day, and that was a popular power user option under older O/S so it was something I just carried over with Win10. Bad idea I guess.

What fixed the issue for me was to remove the custom page file and choose to have windows "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" I went back and retested the missions I would crash with every time (with and without VR) and experienced no crashes now that the page file is managed by Windows automatically. I had task manager open and was able to physically watch Windows 10 manage my memory every time I got close to the crash point.

Here is what I did, plus you can search the internet but instructions too.

"Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> under performance click Settings -> Advanced Tab -> under Virtual Memory click Change -> check automatically manage paging file size -> reboot"

I hope this can help some of you as it helped me.

Happy Flying!!

~ LA

[sIGPIC]sigpic89379_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Intel Core Haswell i5-4670K OC @ 4.2GHz | Asus Z87-Plus mobo | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 Ram | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 OC w/ 8GB memory | Oculus Rift w/ Touch Controllers | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack | Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG |Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 4 C‬lip | Helios

Black Knights Squadron Member

Excuse me, but what do crypto-currencies have to do with subject of this thread. You guys are adding zero input to reports on possible leaks, or any hardware/software issues people may have with 2.5 update. It is getting cluttered here and peopl like myself tend to subscribe to this thread for suggestions and tweaks...

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

As always. New rendering and 3D tech is developed for the framework (DirectX, OpenGL, now Vulkan) and then game developers go and implement them into their games, to make them better (looking) than the competition.

DCS don´t need to look better, now looks really good.

What DCS need is:

- Dynamic campaign

- New weather engine

- More pilots, ground units, naval in a mission

- Bigger maps

This is not Persian Gulf:

attachment.php?attachmentid=182501&stc=1&d=1523632593

This is Persian Gulf:

576676.jpg

DCS looks good, it can always be better.

- Dynamic campaign

ED has been working on Dynamic offerings for some time; it will come.

- New weather engine

What would you like to see different from what we have?

- Bigger maps

With people complaining about having to have more RAM already, you think this is going to be feasible? There are a lot of things that need to happen on the hardware side for this to become a reality. It is what ED is working towards, it takes time.

//redacted///

This is Persian Gulf:

//redacted///

Disagree. If you eat a single slice of pizza and not the entire pizza are you still eating pizza?

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

What DCS need is:

- Dynamic campaign

- New weather engine

- Bigger maps

attachment.php?attachmentid=182501&stc=1&d=1523632593

This is Persian Gulf:

576676.jpg

Well, more units, bigger maps, with 256 GB RAM in an watercooled i7 @ 5GHz plus at least a 1080ti... Maybe around 30fps.

Now about Persian Gulf. Wags explained that they changed the name, from "Strait of Hormuz" to "Persian Gulf", because A) a lot of their customers in a certain country bordering on the Atlantic and Pacific may not identify "Strait of Hormuz" with the Persian Gulf. In addition there is the option to later extend the map to include more of the Persian Gulf... When everybody bought a new PC and the 1080ti and 32GB RAM are considered a mid-range PC.

Shagrat

What DCS need is:

By the way, that is more likely what you need, not necessarily DCS.

Others would argue, we need more and better campaigns for single player, others would prefer a focus on a dedicated server and network multiplayer in dual cockpits improved. Yet others would argue for better AI, damage model, more decent mission editor with 3D placement, and so on, and so forth.

All(!) of this would be great to have, but there are limited resources and possibilities to achieve this. That is why there is a priorization based on a lot of factors...

Shagrat

In addition there is the option to later extend the map to include more of the Persian Gulf... When everybody bought a new PC and the 1080ti and 32GB RAM are considered a mid-range PC.

Looking the actual specs for actual size of maps, i don´t think we will have 100% of the Persian Gulf in lot of years, sadly.

For me, calling Persian Gulf to Strait of Hormuz is misleading advertising, because they are selling 1/3 of the Persian Gulf.