A better zoom veiw in VR - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #31
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post
It's not work, as been proven conclusively to you time and time again, and given how often you have to jump in to try to kill all requests for this kind of move towards better balancing and more realism, you know full well that lots of people care about it.
I’m not trying to kill anyone’s request unless that request is to handicap other players.
Go ahead and ask for VR to have a bigger zoom level.

VR must really suck if 2x zoom level isn’t enough for you to see well. That’s two times life sized and you’re still unable to see well enough? The max zoom level on a monitor is not that large.
I get it that VR headsets resolution is pretty awful to play this sim with but please don’t ask for everyone else to be dragged down to your level.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #32
Tippis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
I’m not trying to kill anyone’s request unless that request is to handicap other players.
Having parity and balance is not a handicap to anyone. That's kind of the whole point.

Quote:
VR must really suck if 2x zoom level isn’t enough for you to see well.
2D must really suck if getting reduced to 2x zoom level isn't enough for you to see well. See how that works?

Quote:
That’s two times life sized and you’re still unable to see well enough? The max zoom level on a monitor is not that large.
The max zoom level on a monitor is in the region of 3–5x depending on the aircraft.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #33
SharpeXB

Quote:
The max zoom level on a monitor is in the region of 3–5x depending on the aircraft.
Right. 3-5x on a 24” screen. That equates to just a little larger than 1:1
VR gets 2x life sized. That’s much larger. So the whole argument doesn’t make sense.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 09-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #34
Tippis

Quote:
Right. 3-5x on a 24” screen. That equates to just a little larger than 1:1
No. That equates to 3–5:1, by very definition — as in, 3–5 times larger than 1:1, quite a bit more than “just a little”.

Last edited by Tippis; 09-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #35
SharpeXB

Quote:
No. That equates to 3–5:1, by very definition — as in, 3–5 times larger than 1:1, quite a bit more than “just a little”.
Yeah but VR provides a 1:1 view to start with. Full zoom on a desktop sized monitor is only a bit larger than 1:1
The zoom view for VR is about resolution, not size. With a monitor it’s to make up for size and resolution.
I think ED figures 2x for VR is about equal to 5x on a monitor. So they already provided balance for the feature.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #36
Tippis

Quote:
Yeah but VR provides a 1:1 view to start with.
As does the 1:1 view on a monitor.

Quote:
Full zoom on a desktop sized monitor is only a bit larger than 1:1
No. Full zoom on a monitor is, as mentioned, 3–5 times larger than 1:1. You can keep ignoring simple maths if you like, but as always, your refusal to accept that 3–5x zoom means that things are quite a bit larger than 1:1 (3–5 times larger, as it happens) will not change that fact.

At full zoom, an element that should be 4.5mm across is 15–23mm across (depending on where you count). That's 3–5x larger than it should be. At full zoom, an element that should be 45mm across is 134mm. That's 3x larger.

You really need to stop repeating that wilfully ignorant nonsense about full zoom being 1:1 because it only proves you have no idea what you're talking about; that you have made zero attempts to check your baseless assumptions; and that you are unable to pick up on things that have been told you repeatedly. You're wrong. Again. Deal with it.

Quote:
The zoom view for VR is about resolution, not size.
No. The zoom view for VR is about FoV, not size or resolution. Same as on any other display device. Because that's what zoom is.

Quote:
I think
I'm going to stop you there. No, ED does not think that 2x is the same as 3–5x. No-one with any understanding of basic geometry does.

Last edited by Tippis; 09-15-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #37
SharpeXB

Quote:
As does the 1:1 view on a monitor.
Do you think the view on a 24” monitor two feet away from you is 1:1? I mean the 3D world you’re looking at in the game.

Quote:
No. The zoom view for VR is about FoV, not size or resolution.
How is that? VR doesn’t have a “field of view” like a monitor, it’s a life sized 3D view.
The reason they put a “zoom” feature on it is to help make up for the low resolution, so you can see smaller things by magnifying them. Like reading cockpit displays or seeing far off targets. If VR had high enough resolution it wouldn’t need a zoom. And as headsets improve that feature won’t be needed as much or at all.

Last edited by SharpeXB; 09-15-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #38
Tippis

Quote:
Do you think the view on a 24” monitor two feet away from you is 1:1?
At no point has anything of the kind been suggested so I have no idea where you got that nonsense from. I can't help noticing that you're still terribly hooked on the idea that physical monitor size is a huge determining factor in any of this, in spite of having it had explained to you why you're wrong about this as well.

Oh, and here's an exercise for you to see if you've learned anything about this topic: at what size would a 50mil reticle be 1:1 when viewed from a 2" distance?

Quote:
How is that? VR doesn’t have a “field of view” like a monitor
Yes it does. All 3D viewports do. It's how 3D world coordinates are transformed into 2D coordinates on a display — you can't light up the right pixels without it.

Quote:
The reason they put a “zoom” feature on it is to help make up for the low resolution, so you can see smaller things by magnifying them.
That's a pretty good argument for reducing zoom for non-VR views, and not just to the level VR has but lower still.

Last edited by Tippis; 09-15-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #39
NineLine
Community Manager

Please feel free to discuss, but leave personal shots and comments out of it. Anymore will receive the appropriate warning/suspensions.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote