Bf-109 Elec. Propeller Pitch control, .. how it works?

• ED Team

By the way, we really found a funny bug that nobody could notice till 109 is ready :) - the prop was not connected to the shaft for slow model. It has almost no sense for 52 and 190... So, any discussion is useful sometimes. :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
Does that mean that torque was not transmitted while the engine was stopped?

Yes. Very hard to notice because at the rpm slow model is actual the aerodynamic forces are negligible.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Great to know!

So, is it going to get fixed for the next update Yo-Yo ?

And, a big THANK YOU to the OP - Otto - because thx to his persistence, and attention to detail, and after all, knowledge, we got that sorted out :thumbup:

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• ED Team
This is not piston rod failure, or overheating ...this is an aircraft overspeed case, according with video description.

Good, what overspeed means for the engine? Or it is a separate failure - " overspeed"?

Yes. Very hard to notice because at the rpm slow model is actual the aerodynamic forces are negligible.

So windmilling torque was not transmitted while the slow model was active?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• ED Team
So windmilling torque was not transmitted while the slow model was active?

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking about pitch control issues, is the pitch automation logic correct? Try this:

1. Fly at 3 km

2. Throttle back at enter a shallow dive maintaining 500 km/h

3. Apply full throttle when altitude drops below 1 km

In the Fw-190 the power and RPM return immediately, after 1-2 seconds you have 3250 RPM. In the Bf-109 it takes 8-10 seconds for the prop to slowly adjust pitch to max RPM (2800). No other airplane in DCS has such sluggish prop pitch control.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I started noticing this through the sound of the prop recovering the RPMs... I found it strange because it was so faint... then noticed the PRMs were rather low, and though the engine had a problem, but then saw it slowly recovering...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Speaking about pitch control issues, is the pitch automation logic correct? Try this:

1. Fly at 3 km

2. Throttle back at enter a shallow dive maintaining 500 km/h

3. Apply full throttle when altitude drops below 1 km

In the Fw-190 the power and RPM return immediately, after 1-2 seconds you have 3250 RPM. In the Bf-109 it takes 8-10 seconds for the prop to slowly adjust pitch to max RPM (2800). No other airplane in DCS has such sluggish prop pitch control.

It feels bit slow yes. I don't have any facts about correct speed in my hands however.

You must just anticipate it a bit, start to add revs before you pull out of dive etc and it's fine. Dora for example had much more advanced "Bediengerät", i believe this is why it have much faster prop pitch changes.

Maybe Yo-Yo can confirm it works correctly?

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hydrolic actuators for P-51 and Dora are faster than electric one in 109. But I found that this speed rate is very convenient for manual control.

Hydrolic actuators for P-51 and Dora are faster than electric one in 109. But I found that this speed rate is very convenient for manual control.

Yo-Yo How much faster? ..You are you talking about milliseconds, or tenths of a second?

VDM airscrew electric pitch control system, was capable to change the blade pitch angle at 3 degrees per second. The Hamilton Standart change pitch at 4 degrees per seconds.

yes for manual control, the 109 has just about the perfect speed....

BUT Yo-Yo, could you please reconsider the damage model for both the P51 and 109 in regards of prop pitch damage? especially the AI planes manage every time to kill it with 1 single shot out of ridiculous angles, distances, and even more annoying from what seems impossible,directly on your six i.e.

its like for the AI your whole plane is the prop pitch automation.

• ED Team
Yo-Yo How much faster? ..You are you talking about milliseconds, or tenths of a second?

VDM airscrew electric pitch control system, was capable to change the blade pitch angle at 3 degrees per second. The Hamilton Standart change pitch at 4 degrees per seconds.

Funny numbers... do you have proof links to the ORIGINAL docs?

Don't forget that in the 109, lower power also means lower rpm, so the prop is coarser than the equivalent CSP. So as well as being slower, it's got further to travel.

• ED Team
Don't forget that in the 109, lower power also means lower rpm, so the prop is coarser than the equivalent CSP. So as well as being slower, it's got further to travel.

If you set the lever to idle it goes to fine pitch again because the automatics does not maintain rpm lower than cruise.

• 1 month later...
If you set the lever to idle it goes to fine pitch again because the automatics does not maintain rpm lower than cruise.

Yo-Yo takes in mind the windmilling effect?

If you cut throttle to idle, that does not mean that the engine lowers the speed to idle speed immediately. If a Bf-109 IRL is flying at high speed, and cut the throttle, windmilling effect keep the inertia of the propeller, and the pitch angle in VDM airscrew will not be reduced suddenly, otherwise in proportion to the turning speed.

Electric pitch control was almost perfect, only a little bit slower than the Hydraulic hydromatic pitch control system.

you must not forget that the Americans also used the Curtis electric propeller pitch control in his P-39, P-47, P-51A, P-38, F4F, etc,etc.

Funny numbers... do you have proof links to the ORIGINAL docs?

You can purchase all VDM electric propeller manuals in this page if you needed.

http://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/vdm.htm

Edited by III/JG52_Otto_+

• ED Team
Yo-Yo takes in mind the windmilling effect?

If you cut throttle to idle, that does not mean that the engine lowers the speed to idle speed immediately. If a Bf-109 IRL is flying at high speed, and cut the throttle, windmilling effect keep the inertia of the propeller, and the pitch angle in VDM airscrew will not be reduced suddenly, otherwise in proportion to the turning speed.

Electric pitch control was almost perfect, only a little bit slower than the Hydraulic hydromatic pitch control system.

you must not forget that the Americans also used the Curtis electric propeller pitch control in his P-39, P-47, P-51A, P-38, F4F, etc,etc.

You can purchase all VDM electric propeller manuals in this page if you needed.

http://www.luftfahrt-archiv-hafner.de/vdm.htm

Have you bought it? If so, could you share the screeshot?

Link

page 43 of any use?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett