New Z390 Build Upcoming - finally!

Nah, the main difference is that Pro has features for corporate environments like the ability to join a domain.

Yeah after looking more into it, think I will stay with Home.

Thanks,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I believe that one nice feature that Pro has over Home is to defer an update (up to 35 days, Targeted or Semi-Annual). Is it worth the extra? That you have to decide for yourself...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

I'm running Pro and have updates shut down altogether . Took some digging though .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Never touched the registry...can't tell you how i did it , but googled "how to..."& clicked till i found it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

you can, mine does not do that, maybe one of the only bad things it doesnt :megalol:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Sadly, the i9's won't be that great of a performance increase for a game like DCS that isn't well coded for multi core. A better processor would be the 9700k as Intel have removed the hyper threading from that cpu in order to allow for up 200% turbo multiplier. Also unlike the extreme line of processors the i9-9900k doesn't have the quad channel memory, so half the channels. This to can factor into the i9-9900k not being as good as the 9700k

I run AIDA64 on a second monitor and have watched the cpu loads with my old i7-5820k and most of the time the half the threads are idle and there is only just brief spikes.

i9's are nice for batch processing or maybe future games that are well coded for multi threading, but I actually think for DCS itself it is better to go with the speed boosts.

So in some ways I am very curious to hear how his new system does.

Sadly, the i9's won't be that great of a performance increase for a game like DCS that isn't well coded for multi core. A better processor would be the 9700k as Intel have removed the hyper threading from that cpu in order to allow for up 200% turbo multiplier. Also unlike the extreme line of processors the i9-9900k doesn't have the quad channel memory, so half the channels. This to can factor into the i9-9900k not being as good as the 9700k

I run AIDA64 on a second monitor and have watched the cpu loads with my old i7-5820k and most of the time the half the threads are idle and there is only just brief spikes.

i9's are nice for batch processing or maybe future games that are well coded for multi threading, but I actually think for DCS itself it is better to go with the speed boosts.

Absolutely, the 9900K is out of the box faster with 2 cores @5 GHz to all 8 cores at (& HT) @ 4.7 GHz and yes for batch processing better, however for DCS alone (and most games) a 9700K might be better value. Still waiting for GPU or DCS to catch up. Especially in VR. Both 9900K and 9700K only have 2 memory channels. Interesting times.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Absolutely, the 9900K is out of the box faster with 2 cores @5 GHz to all 8 cores at (& HT) @ 4.7 GHz and yes for batch processing better, however for DCS alone (and most games) a 9700K might be better value. Still waiting for GPU or DCS to catch up. Especially in VR. Both 9900K and 9700K only have 2 memory channels. Interesting times.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. This is my first post, actually!

I've been reading through the hardware section a lot as I'm preparing to build a new computer here soon, with the sole purpose of it being to play DCS. I've been following this CPU discussion closely.

Right now I've got my build spec'd out with the i5-9600k 6-core (3.7 GHz and 4.6 Turbo), however, I've also considered the i7-9700k as well. It is about another $150 USD more though. Is it worth the $150 increase? Which do you suggest? For reference, here is more of what I'm thinking of going with at this point, all subject to change:

Also planning on either an RTX 2070/2080, or 1080 Ti. Will have 32GB RAM @3200. Mobo probably MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge.

Was hoping for 1440p @ 144 Hz (need a monitor as well), but I'm not really sure of the capabilities of this system to determine a monitor yet. VR sometime in the future, but not near future (I could beef up my system a little later on to support VR). Definitely TrackIR. I just want a system that plays DCS smoothly and as beautifully as possible. :)

Had some guys on another forum (they play DCS, might even be here!) give some helpful info, but thought I'd check with the members here as well. Thanks!

ETA: ....aaaaand didn't notice this CPU discussion was actually in a motherboard thread. I see the CPU thread just blow this one. Whoops, sorry!

Edited by CL30

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One can easily disable HT in the bios. I have it disabled on my 4820k, and likely will on this board.

Quad channel memory can also make little more difficult achieving higher clock speeds.

One reason the Dark being designed for high performance, only has two ram slots.

I anticipate with the EVGA Z390 Dark being able to get my cores up pretty good on this 9900k, but we'll see soon enough. I am a somewhat adventurous sort.

:smilewink:

Currently trying to get all my files needed backed up properly to my external drive in preparation and make sure nothing is forgotten. Fun fun lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have upgraded to the same EVGA graphics card from EVGA. But I still have only a i7-2600k @ 4,5 GHz.

My graphics card is still being bored when playing in UHD resolution (only using around 50 % of its power).

It seems for me be that we have an CPU issue or a CPU Utilization issue....

Edited by GKOver

One can easily disable HT in the bios. I have it disabled on my 4820k, and likely will on this board.

Quad channel memory can also make little more difficult achieving higher clock speeds.

One reason the Dark being designed for high performance, only has two ram slots.

I anticipate with the EVGA Z390 Dark being able to get my cores up pretty good on this 9900k, but we'll see soon enough. I am a somewhat adventurous sort.

Currently trying to get all my files needed backed up properly to my external drive in preparation and make sure nothing is forgotten. Fun fun lol.

Buying a 9900K and disabling hyperthreading is like spending $200 more than MRSP for a 9700k 0.o

Try process lasso to set DCS to run on physical cores instead imo. Be sure to exclude games/DCS from probalance.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I am ok with that...

Don B

Ehhh, those Z170/270/370/390 boards ( same goes for Ryzen 1 + 2 ) are DUAL CHANNEL chipsets, REGARDLESS of HOW MANY SLOTS, two or four, they have.

The difference is in the signal quality. 2 modules with 2 slots have a clearer signal than 2 or even 4 modules on a 4-slot board. There are basically 2 design layouts around for 4-slot boards, either one has drawbacks in one or the other aspect. Same goes for 3, 4, 6 or 8 channel chipsets, it just gets even more complicated with routing signals and termination of unoccupied slots.

True is, 2 slots have higher chances to clock very high with the right modules as in any 4 slot board with 2 slots open/unoccupied.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Build went great, did not run into any issues at all - at least so far LOL. <knocking on wood>.

Final specs on new build:

EVGA Z390 Dark MB

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram

i9 9900k CPU

Corsair H150i Pro Cooler

EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply

Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD

EVGA DG 87 Case

In process of getting all my programs and data into the new rig.

Thanks again to all for the advice offered during this process!

And here she is set up and running in my office now:

KiXbDOY.jpg

Don B

Build went great, did not run into any issues at all - at least so far LOL. <knocking on wood>.

Final specs on new build:

EVGA Z390 Dark MB

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram

Since we have the same graphics card (mine is not overclocked), it would be very nice if you could have a look at https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3761955&postcount=237 and would also run the test with 4k, high settings but MSAA switched off.

Besides: I am also thinking about upgrading my CPU to your one, including overclocking.

Since we have the same graphics card (mine is not overclocked), it would be very nice if you could have a look at https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3761955&postcount=237 and would also run the test with 4k, high settings but MSAA switched off.

Besides: I am also thinking about upgrading my CPU to your one, including overclocking.

Will try, but may be a while.

Working through getting all my programs/data installed.

Then work on some overclocking.

But I don't have 4k monitor.

Don B

Nice !

Enjoy your personal Xmas :thumbup:

Nice !

Enjoy your personal Xmas :thumbup:

Thanks!

I certainly will once I get all my software/games installed.

Starting on DCS next.

Don B

Now downloading all of DCS Open Beta, all maps and all modules I own. This will be a while lol.

Getting there slowly but surely!

Rift software will be next, now that is what I really dread going through all the Rift setup again.

Nice to start with a clean slate though, no left over cobwebs from old machine.

Don B

Will try, but may be a while.

Working through getting all my programs/data installed.

Then work on some overclocking.

But I don't have 4k monitor.

Show the world which performance is possible with DCS World...!!! :-)

Please!

Playing without a 4K monitor with your PC is like driving a ferrari in the garden.... :-)

Besides: You can also "simulate a 4 K monitor" by your Nvidia system settings.

Edited by GKOver

Show the world which performance is possible with DCS World...!!! :-)

Please!

Playing without a 4K monitor with your PC is like driving a ferrari in the garden.... :-)

Lol, VR only for me !

Hey gang, so think I got everything installed ok. Will have to go in and check that all my modules are there, based on overall file size I would think they are.

Now I did de-activate the modules on the old rig that showed that option, do I need to go in and activate them now that they are installed on this new rig or is that automatic?

Don B

Ok got it figured out, just had to go into module manager and activate the modules that had serial numbers.

All should be good to go, maybe tomorrow I can get my controllers set back up.

Don B