Best monitors for flight sim in DCS

Assuming you are using TrackIR, as it stands now, a 100+ Hz monitor is kind of a waste unless you are doing other things with it or playing FPS games. You would need a beast of a system and appropriate settings to keep the 120Hz required for the image to be smooth. 60Hz is a lot more feasible. The Samsung QLED IPS panel in my sig is great but it's little pricy for a dedicated monitor. I use mine all the time to watch movies, play other games, Netflix, etc.

I also own an Asus PG279Q 166Hz monitor. Great for FPS, but I play DCS on the big screen, much more immersive. If you plan to go the TV route, check out rtings.com for a proper gaming TV. Most recent models have some kind of game or PC mode that bypasses all the filters and processing for minimal lag.

LG 34GK950F

I recently got hold of the curved ultrawide LG 34GK950F:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm

3440x1440, native 144Hz, FreeSync 2, also work with Nvidia Gsync (so I am not bound to AMD in future upgrades, just in case. Not that I will ever consider switching back for the foreseeable future, after their recent exploits....) --> ticked all the boxes for me.

I've paired it to a Radeon VII, and I am rather satisfied with the improvement in DCS with respect to my old combo ASUS VK278Q (1920x1080 60Hz) - EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb. Contrary to what I often read in here (lower res for better spotting), I am no longer blind to enemy aircraft: spotting and tracking the enemy during maneuvers are both so much easier now.

I have been toying with the Radeon settings (undervolting/OC'ing), and I can get it stable above 55fps (all settings high, 2x MSAA), mostly in the region 60-80 while flying in MP (both Normandy and Caucasus), with the occasional dip in the 40's on ground mainly due to grass/clutter, but largely mitigated by the FreeSync (never experienced that before, what a bless!).

The improvement in immersion and image quality is very significant, given the monitor I was holding to, and I can warmly recommend the LG. It ain't cheap in EU, but Amazon.it still has it on offer for <1k€.

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I have been reading for days about monitors, my eyes and brain are bleeding! I am replacing my 980 ti Hybrid with a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid(my 980 crapped out :{ ). Anywho, in the process, I realized that my current 30" monitor (2500 x 1600 60 Hz) only has Dual DVI input. Wont mate with new GPU without a passive adapter. I dont want that! So I am looking to upgrade to 34" to 38" Curved. I DO NOT want a 1440 vertical resolution monitor. I like the height of my current 30", and do not want to reduce it down. That kind of limits my selection, and Im ok with that. So for days it seems that my best bet would be to stick with 60Hz for the sake of TrackIR (120Hz) and considering that I wont likely see steady frame rates of 60 FPS with everything set to high anyway. To add to this, I prefer to fly Helos in DCS as opposed to fast movers (occasional), so my need to spot air targets at a distance is not a primary concern. Smooth, crisp low level terrain is my primary focus. With that being said, I also have a store credit for BestBuy of about $800 - $1000 for a monitor, and the best i can find seems great, but it is a 60 Hz:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-38uc99-w-38-ips-led-ultrawide-hd-freesync-monitor-black-white/5672800.p?skuId=5672800

I am suffering from information overload, and am soliciting for feedback based on my specific needs. I am considering purchasing elsewhere for a better suited monitor for my needs if its within budget and it makes better sense? Thank you in advance.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

heard TN panels worse than ips...for DCS?????

As was already noted IPS panels typically offer slower refresh rates, but some offer high Hz with comprable refresh reates. My Aorus gigabyte AD27QHD monitor is IPS @ 144hz with a 1ms response time.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I am suffering from information overload

Have you researched TV's too lol.:cry:

If I was to upgrade my screen, I might go a good TV perhaps? That would be great for choppers, 65 inch and correct FOV would just about be full scale in front of you.

They are all getting close to being a monitors themselves these days.

The latest LG even having Gsync

G-SYNC on LG OLED

That will set you back 2K tho

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-oled-c9pua-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6338500.p?skuId=6338500

In your budget

LG - 65" Class - LED - Nano 9 Series

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-led-nano-9-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6339241.p?skuId=6339241

Not sure if that's the best one for gaming?

Samsung - 55" Class - LED - Q70 Series - 2160p

You would need to ask around to see what the best one would be for your budget.

There is the NVIDIA TV's, these are a little expensive tho. They run at G-Sync and a 144Hz refresh rate.

When it comes to TV's, you need to find the one with the lowest input lag.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I can NOT go with a TV size,,, 38" to maybe 42 would be about it thanks,

My biggest hurdle so far is sticking with a monitor whos height is not less than current (1600). I dont want to drop down to 1440. The next challenge appears to be, how vital is it that i make sure I have a G-Sync monitor for my 2080 Ti? Are DCS users turning it off for performance matters?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

FWIW, my GSYNC is always on and it never gave me any kind of trouble nor do I have stutter apart from the Track-IR based 60Hz issue.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

BitMaster, your opinion is always of great value on these forums, and I appreciate the response tremendously sir. It is interesting to know that you use G-Sync, and I would expect that you would not have an issue due to the fact that your monitor supports it. I guess my position is, if most folks find that G-Sync for use in DCS is HIGHLY recommended, then I would know to stick with getting a monitor that supports it (that narrows the field tremendously), as opposed to not. I also realize that I am limiting myself regarding the fact that I do not want to reduce down from a 1600 res to a 1440,[34" to 38" being my target size] I just feel that I do not want to reduce the height since I am attempting to UPGRADE, not downgrade. The refresh rates are toying with me as well. As I understand it, I want to keep with a refresh rate with integers of 40, 60 , 120 due to TrackIR primarily (with 120hx presumably having a noticeable difference). So Im struggling to choose between 60 hz & 120 hz as well. .Thank you

Edited by Fakum

If money allows I would pick a Gsync screen despite many of us lock DCS down to 60fps ( while keeping the monitor at it's native 144Hz or whatever speed ) if you intend to run Nvidia cards solely. If you think AMD is the way to go, Freesync2 is a valid option I guess.

Maybe one day the 60fps issue will be solved and we can have DCS run at unlocked fps again while using some form of Tracker...or..if you play other games as well, like racing games, Gsync/Freesync does make sense.

I would try to avoid a 60Hz screen. Down the road and over the years that could turn against you when GPUs and tech would allow you to run DCS or any other app you might run to run at far more than 60Hz.

Usually, the screen is one of those few parts that you buy for a much longer time frame than most other parts of your rig.

When I kick in one of my Racing Sims I really enjoy Gsync and even with DCS and unlocked with TiR, I only have little microstutter when panning while Gsync still irons out the other issues, I can live with both setups, locked and unlocked in DCS but I wouldnt wanna miss some kind of Gsync/Freesync.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

IMHO, there's not so many reasons to aim for the native G-Sync screens anymore since Nvidia does now support Freesync screens in their drivers as well.

The G-Sync screens do usually have a lower VRR FPS range limit, though, but they also do cost noticeably more.

I.e. while the Nvidia screens will have their range starting from 30 FPS, for the Freesync screens it depends on the model (some start from 30 as well, but often its 40 or even more).

On the other hand, the brands seem to consider Freesync as a budget option so those models won't normally be the full bling ones (e.g. like with laptops where Ryzen configs seem to come with worse displays, wifi cards, etc.).

The good news is that future Nvidia G-Sync implementations will support Freesync as well so you could have an AMD card with it and not lose the VRR functionality.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thanks guys, I am now reasonably convinced to go for 120Hz+. I will be using a 2080 ti (No AMD). I did read alot about the NVidia drivers adaptation for Freesync, and NVidia has a great chart on their website stating which Freesync monitors work well, but they are kind of limited when you get over 34". Looks like I have more research to do, thanks guys

Thanks guys, I am now reasonably convinced to go for 120Hz+. I will be using a 2080 ti (No AMD). I did read alot about the NVidia drivers adaptation for Freesync, and NVidia has a great chart on their website stating which Freesync monitors work well, but they are kind of limited when you get over 34". Looks like I have more research to do, thanks guys

Pretty much any decent monitor will work well, as it just requires that a quality scaler unit is put inside. Of course, any 120+ Hz monitor will be expensive so it's a sure bet that it will work well with Nvidia cards, too.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

If money allows I would pick a Gsync screen despite many of us lock DCS down to 60fps ( while keeping the monitor at it's native 144Hz or whatever speed ) if you intend to run Nvidia cards solely. If you think AMD is the way to go, Freesync2 is a valid option I guess.

Maybe one day the 60fps issue will be solved and we can have DCS run at unlocked fps again while using some form of Tracker...or..if you play other games as well, like racing games, Gsync/Freesync does make sense.

I would try to avoid a 60Hz screen. Down the road and over the years that could turn against you when GPUs and tech would allow you to run DCS or any other app you might run to run at far more than 60Hz.

Usually, the screen is one of those few parts that you buy for a much longer time frame than most other parts of your rig.

When I kick in one of my Racing Sims I really enjoy Gsync and even with DCS and unlocked with TiR, I only have little microstutter when panning while Gsync still irons out the other issues, I can live with both setups, locked and unlocked in DCS but I wouldnt wanna miss some kind of Gsync/Freesync.

Hi bitmaster...what do you think about this monitor?

Acer Nitro EI491CRP

It is a 49” 32:9 monitor...basically are two 27” full hd monitor into one.

This one is a freesync2 144hz monitor (not that i think that i will he able to reach that fps with a 3840x1080 monitor) but should be future proof and with a nice lateral view

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

waaahh, your desk is big enough ???

It looks ok to me, maybe the 4ms GTG is not the best but the rest looks great.

If you like the format, why not.

It does not have HDR or any other fancy stuff but has Freesync2. If you are fine with NOT having HDR it's ok, I dont have it either and such I dont miss it. Guess its like Gsync/Freesync, until you have it its ok to not have it at all but once tasted you dont wanna go back.

It trades HDR for other features to stay at a reasonable price. For DCS that does not matter at all tbh as it doesnt have HDR support iirc. As I say, i dont have HDR (yet).

Best monitors for flight sim in DCS

The alternative is the Samsung C49HG90 which is also FreeSync (actually i have the 32” version of it and it works also with gsync)...it has 1ms delay and hdr...it is also a QLED monitor.

But what you also think about the format...would it be beneficial for flight sims?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png