[REPORTED]VR Performance OB 2.5.6

Gripen 4-1

I did some more tests and performance is still very weak. On 2.5.5. with shader mod tuned to pass IC I was able to have 60fps in the free flight in Mi8 ( single player - instant action). Now with the same settings it is still below 60 so Reverb gives 30... game looks ugly (most settings to low) and not acceptable ghosting in VR. Was trying everything - diffefent settings, deleting cache, shaders etc. No way to improve it.

I5 8600k @4.8GHz, 16GB ram, ssd m2, 1080ti, Reverb G1.

I dont want to mention missions on SC or MP with many units.

It is not acceptable. Waited many months for repair and gave my credit of trust to the Devs but nothing has changed till now...

I was thinking is there a way to get back money I paid for the product that I cant use for a such a long time now? Put a lot of money in the DCS and I feel like it is lost. Does any of you have studied the agreement?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding off until performance returns

At this point I just check back monthly to see if VR has been fixed. Purchases on hold. Really like the concept of DCS but VR is a must. 2D and Track IR just won't cut it. I have my fingers crossed and I'm confident that performance will increase over the long term.

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM

Really like the concept of DCS but VR is a must. 2D and Track IR just won't cut it.

Nah, 2d with a home-built cockpit and 55 inch or larger screen with TrackIR is absolutely fantastic in DCS! I have no problem with sticking with them both for the foreseeable future.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Nah, 2d with a home-built cockpit and 55 inch or larger screen with TrackIR is absolutely fantastic in DCS! I have no problem with sticking with them both for the foreseeable future.

I used to use 3 monitor with trackir setup but once I got my pimax5+ vr headset I got rid of them. The 3D depth perception is EVERYTHING when it comes to flying. I almost instantly became a much better pilot and was actually getting twice as many kills, not to mention that immersion!

So its vr or nothing for me.

Thank god its summer anyways Im always outside but really hoping they figure it out by winter, or I'm off to another sim

Edited by vracan

Since the latest update I have been seeing significantly more stuttering in VR. It’s present in every single player mission I have tried so far (haven't tested MP). Intensity is higher in heavy missions, but the stuttering is also immediately obvious in free flight on an empty map. Frame rate is...adequate, as in above 45 most of the time. Though I suspect the frame rate has taken a hit too. Still, there is definitely more jerkiness when looking around.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x liquid cooled

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 32GB

ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

DCS installed on Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Samsung Odyssey+ HMD

Things I have tried so far with no success:

-Updated Nvidia drivers to latest version. When no positive change, reverted to latest stable “studio version”

-Made sure hardware accelerated gpu etc in Windows 10 is turned off

-Reapplied Nvidia settings

-Made sure audio drivers are updated

-Repair, then complete reinstall of DCS

-Renamed "options.lua" file

-Removed all mods

-Hot plug devices disabled

-Motion reprojection set to “always on”

-Set cpu affinities for DCS and steam vr processes to separate cores in Process Lasso.

-Updated BIOS

-DCS is exempt from Microsoft Defender, no other anti virus software installed.

-Disabled a bunch of Windows 10 services

Edited by GuitarBuilder

I used to use 3 monitor with trackir setup but once I got my pimax5+ vr headset I got rid of them. The 3D depth perception is EVERYTHING when it comes to flying. I almost instantly became a much better pilot and was actually getting twice as many kills, not to mention that immersion!

So its vr or nothing for me.

Even though my home pit is NO WHERE NEAR the expert craftsmanship and budget of this setup (

), his reasons for using 2D are mine as well... especially what he has to say about sharing at 3:01... couldn't have said it better myself.:thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Many will find lowering the SteamVR resolution closer to the headsets native resolution will help dramatically.

If you have not already done so try 100% resolution, test notice the performance gains, then increase the resolution until you find the right balance for performance.

With my vive cosmos if I set 100% resolution I get 60 - 90 FPS constant, 120% is a happy medium for me, default resolution % is much higher and has me at 45 FPS.

I have pre-ordered the HP Reverb G2 which has a very high resolution, the first thing I will be doing is testing with 100% resolution.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have pre-ordered the HP Reverb G2 which has a very high resolution, the first thing I will be doing is testing with 100% resolution.

Great to know there will be real testers with G2 inside the team.

Many people are waiting for that official video showing the correct settings with reverb and VR in general, but we can wait untill the multiCPU core upgrade :thumbup:

Great to know there will be real testers with G2 inside the team.

Many people are waiting for that official video showing the correct settings with reverb and VR in general, but we can wait untill the multiCPU core upgrade :thumbup:

What ‘correct’ settings are you talking about? There are no ‘correct’ settings. Depends on your hardware.

I run my Reverb at 200% SteamVR SS, but that may not be appropriate for others.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What ‘correct’ settings are you talking about? There are no ‘correct’ settings. Depends on your hardware.

I run my Reverb at 200% SteamVR SS, but that may not be appropriate for others.

Very happy to hear you are a beast configuring your VR enviroment but people are getting traped in guides over windows 10 configurations, alternative shaders, etc, etc.

An official guide will be very helpful.

But, if things will change too much with the multi CPU core upgrade may be worth to wait a little.

There is way too much advice on VR settings on this forum.

Too many people spend too much time tweaking VR settings. It has almost become a hobby for them.

I have spent a lot of time working on this stuff, and IMO, the only things you need to bother about tweaking are - MSAA, Shadows and SteamVR SS.

Nothing else makes much of a difference.

YMMV!

You ask about videos, well there is a whole industry out there on YT etc. showing a zillion pieces of advice on VR settings.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You ask about videos, well there is a whole industry out there on YT etc. showing a zillion pieces of advice on VR settings.

Shadows, SS and MSAA, yes.....

Simon at team ED talked over an "official" VR configuration video on a recent interview.

That´s why i said it.

But people wants more than 45 FPS on his reverb with as much eye candy as posible, that´s why they are trying to struggle as much performance as they can.

Multi CPU and Vulkan nearing for that.

Shadows, SS and MSAA, yes.....

Simon at team ED talked over an "official" VR configuration video on a recent interview.

That´s why i said it.

But people wants more than 45 FPS on his reverb with as much eye candy as posible, that´s why they are trying to struggle as much performance as they can.

Multi CPU and Vulkan nearing for that.

We are a long, long way off 90fps on a Reverb with lots of eye candy. Don't hold out too much hope for Vulkan in that respect.

IMO, it's pointless having an 'official video' for that. There are so many variables - GPU, CPU, RAM, Windows version and configuration, eyesight levels, etc. etc.

I wouldnt bet on Vulkan or multicore. Engine is the key. Good engine on Vulkan could do a miracles, bed engine on Vulkan will be still unplayable.

45fps is also unplayable during dogfights or ground attacks.

For example engine of Il2 Sturmowik is not on Vulkan and it is not multicore but I can get 90fps during fights with a few planes on my Reverb. DCS? Sometimes lower then 45fps during free flights without enemies... with bandits or SC sometimes lower than 20fps... hard to comment. You see where is the differane.

I really belive that in the future DCS will improve in this department because I really like to fly some of its planes. Now I will pass.

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

I wouldnt bet on Vulkan or multicore. Engine is the key. Good engine on Vulkan could do a miracles, bed engine on Vulkan will be still unplayable.

For example engine of Il2 Sturmowik is not on Vulkan and it is not multicore but I can get 90fps during fights with a few planes on my Reverb. DCS? Sometimes lower then 45fps during free flights without enemies... with bandits or SC sometimes lower than 20fps... hard to comment. You see where is the differane.

I really belive that in the future DCS will improve in this department because I really like to fly some of its planes. Now I will pass.

Please, provide one example of game which has vulkan implemented on a bad engine.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

horse twaddle ... 45 fps is not unplayable in either ground attack or dogfights ... i know i do both at 45fps with motion vector switched on, and consistently put bombs on target and get kills against AI and human players both ... would 90 be better of course it would. But your claim above is at best an exaggeration...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

horse twaddle ... 45 fps is not unplayable in either ground attack or dogfights ... i know i do both at 45fps with motion vector switched on, and consistently put bombs on target and get kills against AI and human players both ... would 90 be better of course it would. But your claim above is at best an exaggeration...

Agreed. I would be happy with a consistent 45 FPS.

Don't you get double-vision on passing aircraft at 45fps ? Stutters? Just like him I consider that unplayable too!

45 FPS with Motion Vector is not the real VR thing.

Period.

You enjoy the experience because of the inmersion but it´s like a FPS shooter at 25 FPS: not the desired gaming experience.

It´s cool to play at 45 FPS with Motion Vector figuring out what the real thing will bring us someday.

But I´m sure that day is getting closer.

Nick Grey talked about GREAT improvements with the next core iteration.

I´ll take those words as true and expect just that. (Call me infant).

There are lots of performance to gain in such an old engine. Even their military clients will be glad to use them.

Edited by Leaderface

Don't you get double-vision on passing aircraft at 45fps ? Stutters? Just like him I consider that unplayable too!

stutters not often, i have my settings tuned, and the same with double vision, sure it happens (rarely)... that doesn't make it unplayable, by any stretch of the imagination

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

45 FPS with Motion Vector is not the real VR thing.

Period.

You enjoy the experience because of the inmersion but it´s like a FPS shooter at 25 FPS: not the desired gaming experience.

It´s cool to play at 45 FPS with Motion Vector figuring out what the real thing will bring us someday.

But I´m sure that day is getting closer.

Nick Grey talked about GREAT improvements with the next core iteration.

I´ll take those words as true and expect just that. (Call me infant).

There are lots of performance to gain in such an old engine. Even their military clients will be glad to use them.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift... that is why its called the present... Oogway

Edited by speed-of-heat

stutters not often, i have my settings tuned, and the same with double vision, sure it happens (rarely)... that doesn't make it unplayable, by any stretch of the imagination

sorry but that double vision not playable for me. How do you aim when you see 2 possibilties for all targets. At 45fps for double-vision is there most of the time, and even if was there occasionally only I still would not play. I guess everyone is different so accept that!

If you are seeing double vision on all targets at all times, turn down your settings...everyone is different indeed, but hence my objection to the wide statement that it’s unplayable at 45fps, that’s just not true for everyone I can accept it as true of an individual , but as I said I rarely get double vision and it’s not on ‘all’ targets... enjoy not playing then I guess ...

sorry but that double vision not playable for me. How do you aim when you see 2 possibilties for all targets. At 45fps for double-vision is there most of the time, and even if was there occasionally only I still would not play. I guess everyone is different so accept that!

That description of 45fps is nothing like the one I experience. I very rarely see double vision or two targets. It’s all very smooth for me.

I guess we won’t be seeing any more comments from you as you won’t be playing any more!