Teach me the ways of the spitfire - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #11
-0303-

The Slip & Turn is the double needle below the VSI. It's actually much easier to see than a ball.

Brakes are differential controlled by rudder. I have the pinkie button set for brakes. Works good enough for me. One person map to an analog axis on the throttle and swear by it. Seems complicated.

A big help is bringing up the CONTROL INDICATORS (RCtrl + Enter) to see the brakes operating.

Taxiing is an art form that can be frustrating. Once it's rolling, 1000 rpm, keep tapping the brakes and try to anticipate. Can never look away.

Taking off is a matter of training again and again and again... I initially had great help by finding a Cirrus cloud to aim for to keep straight.

Nose trim neutral or down one tick. This helps to keep the nose down and not stall just after takeoff. Make rudder trim with "dd" in "rudder" up. Rudder trim not important as you'll always have to counter with rudder anyway. Once you learned takeoff you can do it with any trim setting (except not having trim down/neutral makes often for a clownish takeoff).

While flying you'll keep adjusting both trims with changes in RPM or speed. Spitfire may be more work than P-51D but it's a breeze compared to Bf 109 or I-16.

Landing. A good setup is half the battle. If three-pointing, the touch down speed must be barely above stall speed. With excess speed it'll fly off again easily because the wings have a high AoA. Imagine tail wheel coming down last angling AoA even higher...

Try to fly as low and slow as possible along the runway to land.

Make sure to touch down without any sideslip as this will cause a swerve to the side.

When speed is slowed down brakes are next to always needed to keep straight.
~

A tip. Elaborate but works sometimes. Make a repair on the CV. The repair routine since 2.5.6 puts tail wheel outside deck. 9 times of 10 one can pull it up with the engine but ... quite often this damages the tail wheel making it a fixed locked tail wheel. And now you can make beautiful landing roll outs without using brakes.

Last edited by -0303-; 08-02-2020 at 02:30 AM.
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #12
GR00VYJERRY

All excellent information. Thanks. I can taxi and take off fine now. Landings are about 50 percent. The ones I crash I seem to land smooth but loose a little control when I rolling but it’s getting better. Another thing I notice is the engine seems to heat up quick. I am used to watching the p-51 temps and adjusting rpm and manifold pressure to keeping it from over heating but the spit seems a little more picky. I am learning though. Does anyone use the radiator open option or do you just keep it set to auto?
GR00VYJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:02 PM   #13
DD_Fenrir

Auto.

After takeoff decide what it is you are trying to accomplish:

1. Immediate Combat or Interception climb - 2850 RPM and 12lb Boost. Keep IAS >160mph. 1 hour limit.

2. Cruising out for trouble but need to get height reasonably promptly - 2650 RPM and 7lb Boost. Keep IAS >160mph. No time limit.

3. Got a long flight ahead of me - 2400 RPM & 4lb Boost or even lower to get lower fuel consumption.

4. Get into a fight? Go to 2850 & 12. Only use 3000RPM and 18lb in extremis. Keep your IAS >160, 180 is better for cooling and if you do go WEP (3000 and 18lb) then don't grind holes in the sky cos she'll overheat even quicker than the nominal 5 minute limit "allowed". Really only use WEP for chasing down or running from an enemy aircraft - keep it fast, don't start dogfighting and getting slow.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #14
Catseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Auto.

After takeoff decide what it is you are trying to accomplish:

1. Immediate Combat or Interception climb - 2850 RPM and 12lb Boost. Keep IAS >160mph. 1 hour limit.

2. Cruising out for trouble but need to get height reasonably promptly - 2650 RPM and 7lb Boost. Keep IAS >160mph. No time limit.

3. Got a long flight ahead of me - 2400 RPM & 4lb Boost or even lower to get lower fuel consumption.

4. Get into a fight? Go to 2850 & 12. Only use 3000RPM and 18lb in extremis. Keep your IAS >160, 180 is better for cooling and if you do go WEP (3000 and 18lb) then don't grind holes in the sky cos she'll overheat even quicker than the nominal 5 minute limit "allowed". Really only use WEP for chasing down or running from an enemy aircraft - keep it fast, don't start dogfighting and getting slow.
This!
Catseye is offline   Reply With Quote