Screen capture from VR

Ziptie

Apologies if this is not in the correct spot, was unsure whether to post here or in the VR section of the forums.....

I am wondering if there is a way to change the screen recording (I use Oculus Rift CV1) format somehow, so instead of getting a "vertical" style layout (like what is displayed on the monitor when you are using VR), and get more of the standard "16:9" or "full screen" style layout/image?

If that doesn't make sense, please see this video (or any of the others on my channel), it will only take a few seconds of watching to understand what I am talking about in regards to the picture.

Comparison video 1:

Flight sim video

DCS seems to format the image on the monitor differently, compared to "this driving sim" that I also use, all with the same computer and VR, and same screen capture method (LWin+LAlt+R) just a wheel and pedals rather than a HOTAS.

Comparison video 2:

Race sim video

If you want to see some quick action there, just for fun, skip to 00:38 and watch the following 5 seconds. Amateurs :megalol:

Anyways, just would love to get a screen capture and future ones showing more of what I actually experience in DCS, rather than what it shows in the screen capture. Haven't found a way to change the format as of yet.

Thanks for any help, if there is anything that can be done about it. If not, thanks for caring enough to read.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

use oculus mirror and record that window :) or crop it down using OBS

Thank you for the replies, to the other poster as well. I will check out the Oculus mirror first.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Opened Oculus Mirror, but for some reason it wouldn't record that window (probably because DCS needed to be the active window to be able to click on the cockpits controls and fly the aircraft. Or probably because I am doing something wrong and don't understand how to actually use the program. Oh well, thanks for the help but guess I'll just stick with the undesirable image.

Cheers,

Don

Opened Oculus Mirror, but for some reason it wouldn't record that window (probably because DCS needed to be the active window to be able to click on the cockpits controls and fly the aircraft. Or probably because I am doing something wrong and don't understand how to actually use the program. Oh well, thanks for the help but guess I'll just stick with the undesirable image.

Cheers,

Don

Use obs to record the window buddy, it’s a free recording software that does an amazing job. Highly recommend , you can use it to record the stretch window and crop it down too if u chose that. Do a search on google for obs and oculus mirror or check out jabbers vid on obs and the stretched window

59th | Casper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our Website | Our Facebook Page | YouTube Channel | Our Discord

System : 9900k 5ghz, 32GB 4166mhz Ram, 2080Ti, Hotas Warthog, Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswinds, VR + TrackIR, All Modules For DCS

Copy that folks, I will check out the OBS software when I am back and try it out. Will be pretty happy if I can sort it out. Thanks very much, looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Don

Run Oculus Mirror at 1080P / 1440P / 2160P and it automatically crops out the top/bottom and FoV FishEye effect.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Run Oculus Mirror at 1080P / 1440P / 2160P and it automatically crops out the top/bottom and FoV FishEye effect.

I couldn’t see how to adjust any settings within the mirror program, and when keeping it as the active window, it wouldn’t allow me to toggle/select/change settings within DCS while flying. And it still recorded DCS in the “skinny” view like the monitor shows. Used google and seems that adjustments for the mirror software required command/script changes, but was unsure exactly where I was supposed to accomplish that.

Cheers,

Don

I couldn’t see how to adjust any settings within the mirror program, and when keeping it as the active window, it wouldn’t allow me to toggle/select/change settings within DCS while flying. And it still recorded DCS in the “skinny” view like the monitor shows. Used google and seems that adjustments for the mirror software required command/script changes, but was unsure exactly where I was supposed to accomplish that.

Cheers,

Don

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-compositor-mirror/

have a read of that :)

59th | Casper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Our Website | Our Facebook Page | YouTube Channel | Our Discord

System : 9900k 5ghz, 32GB 4166mhz Ram, 2080Ti, Hotas Warthog, Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswinds, VR + TrackIR, All Modules For DCS

That is the exact site that I went to find where mirror was located, and the different commands (specifically liked the both eyes one as the recordings I’ve done are always biased a touch to the left, due to recording the left eye image apparently). But am still unsure as to where I type the command line in to change to both eyes and any resolution change. Thanks for the assist!

Cheers,

Don

Cheers,

Don

it doesnt have to be the active window, set OBS to Record from that window and keep playing dcs w/ the main window.

you have to set the window size and option w/ command line or use the DCS Updater Utility App.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just found this thread . I have OBS and it set for screen capture with hotkey short cut stop and start. I start mirror then Oculus and OBS then DCS. I hit my start to record key and play for 5-10 min to test in my end recording and the check I haver nothing. Any one tell me what I need to do differently, OH and I click alt/enter to get DCS in full screen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Don

In OBS set the recording to record the Oculus Mirror Window and not your entire desktop or something. Oculus Mirror window does not need to be the primary window or in front of anything else. That way you have the DCS window in front.

Thank you for all the advice. I opened OBS and poked around a bit - but got somewhat lost when needing to set what was to be recorded... Not at home base currently, but it seemed to be on the bottom of the OBS software application, second from the left if memory serves correctly. Will be giving my second go flying in a MP server with the Grim Reaper community and would like to record at bit of it. Hopefully I have enough information here to get that done, but sometimes struggle with the intricacies of computer programs when they need direct paths/sources from other programs/software.

Cheers,

Don

Thanks, I've watched that video before but it was when interested in the actual settings some were using for VR within DCS - now the last 3 1/2 minutes are what I am after - since all the settings within the game are dialed in for me.

Thanks for sharing it, should get me going!

Cheers,

Don