Switching to SSD

I am keen to know if I am able to clone my DCS installations from my current drives to my new SSDs.

I'm not concerned about activations - that will be necessary in any case, what I'd like to avoid is having to download the whole kaboosh again.

That would be for both v1.5.2 and for the v2 open alpha.

I'm thinking of just directing the installers to the root folder of the cloned directories.

Anyone done it?

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

You can just copy the directory over and update your shortcuts to the new directory path.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

And update the "path" keys from your registry (one key for each DCS branch installed).

This last step is useful for the updater, it needs to know where to search if you have multiple DCS installations; saves a lot of download time, by automatically copying files if identical across various installations.

Reference: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=154865

• Like 2

spacer.png

Great to know - thanks :thumbup:

I won't be cloning Windows, that will be a new install, so I take it new registry paths are entered once I start the sim and reactivate the modules?

Anyway, I'll check once I've got everything in. :smilewink:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

And update the "path" keys from your registry (one key for each DCS branch installed).

This last step is useful for the updater, it needs to know where to search if you have multiple DCS installations; saves a lot of download time, by automatically copying files if identical across various installations.

not necessary if you DCSupdater via cmd window in \bin folder (I do all the time with multiple installs)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Is the dcs_local_source.txt still relevant ? I can't find it anywhere on my computer, I guess it's not used anymore ?

Change to SSDs went smoothly and was my fastest ever reinstall of windows and my utilities/progs.

It's also very impressively fast :)

DCS World 1.5 and 2 open alpha both worked perfectly after copying to the SSD, just the expected reactivation required. :thumbup:

Now using 3 Samsung 850 evo's and one SATA III hard drive. Some of the installations were just supefyingly quick - and some were as slow as they always were! (here's looking at you, Elite: Dangerous!).

Kneeboard Guides

Change to SSDs went smoothly and was my fastest ever reinstall of windows and my utilities/progs.

It's also very impressively fast :)

DCS World 1.5 and 2 open alpha both worked perfectly after copying to the SSD, just the expected reactivation required. :thumbup:

Now using 3 Samsung 850 evo's and one SATA III hard drive. Some of the installations were just supefyingly quick - and some were as slow as they always were! (here's looking at you, Elite: Dangerous!).

Does it improve the frequent mini-freezes while the world parts are loaded, while you fly or when you look in another direction? Those make it hard to enjoy some parts of NTTR, even on RAID 0.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I haven't experienced those, even before the upgrade.

The main reason I wanted SSDs for DCS World were a) the sometimes very long mission load times (also the mission editor for NTTR was very slow and cumbersome - haven't tested that yet) and b) future proofing, for anything they might add in NTTR or future maps requiring better performance.

I did consider using a RAID set-up with the SSDs but decided to try without first, and so far I've not had reason to regret it.

Windows 7 HP64 installed completely in less than 10 minutes. As an example of the general speed increase. My PC start-up and shut down times are much, much faster than they have ever been, too. Copying large files (50GB+) is also incredibly quick - even when I was copying from the old hard disks to SSD.

Kneeboard Guides