Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Advantages over AIM-7 and -120

Hammer1-1

Id like some information about this subject. In what scenario would AIM-7s be preferred over the -120s?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

The Aim 7 sparrow was in service since 1958, however has been upgraded several times from then. The AIM-120 AMRAAM has been in service since 1991 and has more modern technology within.

AIM 7 Pros

1. Heavier explosive charge 40KG.

2. Causes massive damage.

Cons

1. Less manoeuvrable.

2. Require you to maintain radar lock until impact.

AIM-120 Pros

1. More agile.

2. Tighter turning circle.

3. Has ‘Maddog’ feature. I.E has its own seeker and after lunch can operate without a lock allowing you to gun and run! Give you the opportunity to escape or manoeuvre for another attack.

4. Faster.

5. More effective at low altitudes.

Cons

1. Lighter explosive charge. 18.1kg.

2. Causes less damage, although will down mostly anything!

The AIM-120 took over from the 7 series. It’s generally better in all situations. The AIM 7 can still be devastating in close range encounters.

For BVR I would use the 120 due to being able to turn / climb out of the way of any incoming enemy weapons. It also allows you to lock up a second bandit and either down him or cause him to take evasive action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So basically its kind of pointless to carry the -7. So why isnt it retired?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

So basically its kind of pointless to carry the -7. So why isnt it retired?

Because they produced so many of them that these are still leftovers sitting around in inventory.

Also as someone else pointed out they are cheaper to shoot than 120s.

Generally speaking I would expect aim7s to be used for live fire training exercises or deployment to low threat theatres.

If were talking a full scale war against a neer per foe operating the latest and greatest versions of Flankers or fulcrums then I doubt any commander would want to throw thier pilots equipped with aim7s over aim120s.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The Pk ratio should be more than enough to offset the cost per unit comparison when you compare it with weight and drag savings too. Ok, so really no reason for me to load up on -7s in mission unless the mission calls for a specific stock to be depleted.

My wallpaper and skins

In DCS i sometimes like to use the Aim-7 because of the big warhead. Yes the big con is that it's a semi-active missile but i only need one missile hit to destroy a fighter or a big TU-95 bomber. If i shoot the Aim-120 at a bomber i need two and often two against a fighter.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Given the state of Hornet IFF , the 7's friendly-fire advantage should not be overlooked .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Given the state of Hornet IFF , the 7's friendly-fire advantage should not be overlooked .

As somebody who hasn't used the Sparrow since the first few days of early access can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

In-game, the 7 gives you the advantage of being able to drop the target with the missile in-flight if you realize you don't want to hit that target (ie. a friendly). This is more of a game thing.

Additionally, a 7 will not switch to a different target if its target dissapears - again, this is a game thing and if the RF simulation is made better, there can be cases where the 7 will target the wrong 'thing'. (In any case, you should not be shooting missiles with friendlies within a certain number of degrees from the target as a rule of thumb).

Other than that, the 120 holds all the advantages IRL - accuracy, range, speed, maneuverability, ECCM, networking etc.

Id like some information about this subject. In what scenario would AIM-7s be preferred over the -120s?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

...the 120 holds all the advantages IRL - accuracy, range, speed, maneuverability, ECCM, networking etc.

Other than the aforementioned warhead size. ; )

If you’re going on a tanker or awacs hunt bring the 7. In game it takes multiple 120’s to bring down the big birds.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Moreover, the real reason the AIM-7 is in DCS is era compatibility.

There where times when it was the best, or AIM-120s where scarce.

Going "best of the best"-setting? Go 120's, as many have stated.

(and yes, AIM-7's might be good against big targets, on a game-meta level - unfortunately)

Moreover, the real reason the AIM-7 is in DCS is era compatibility.

There where times when it was the best, or AIM-120s where scarce.

Going "best of the best"-setting? Go 120's, as many have stated.

(and yes, AIM-7's might be good against big targets, on a game-meta level - unfortunately)

IRST ? (Quoted wrong post )

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The AIM-120 warhead has much more energetic explosives - that's why the weight is reduced. Not sure how or if this is simulated in DCS - mass of explosives is decreased, at the same time explosive energy is increased and the warhead is directional, so you're putting more shrapnel mass on target - ie you can reduce the weight of the fragments by reducing the number of fragments.

Other than the aforementioned warhead size. ; )

If you’re going on a tanker or awacs hunt bring the 7. In game it takes multiple 120’s to bring down the big birds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The AIM-120 warhead has much more energetic explosives - that's why the weight is reduced. Not sure how or if this is simulated in DCS - mass of explosives is decreased, at the same time explosive energy is increased and the warhead is directional, so you're putting more shrapnel mass on target - ie you can reduce the weight of the fragments by reducing the number of fragments.

Oh I don’t doubt that you’re real world correct.

In my causal DCS testing though I’ve found the 7 to have a noticeably better ‘bite’ than the 120. It’ll only take one 7 to at least damage/disable tankers/awacs, whereas I’ve had to fire up to three 120’s before for the same effect. Against fighters the 7 will typically cause disintegration whereas they’ll sometimes continue flying with damage after a 120 hit.

Again, my casual in-game experience. I load 7’s if I’m going after anything big and seem to have more success that way.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

To help with target identification. If being realistic and using ROE that states visual ID of target before firing, the ATFLIR can be used to zoom in on a target during a BVR engagement to properly identify it.

Huh. ok. Didn't know the ATFLIR could be slaved to the radar. Neat!

Let us not forget that the 120’s active radar sometimes do run the risk of pitbulling onto a friendly aircraft. I can count the number of times I get into a merge and suddenly get a rwr missile alert because someone decide to fire a 120 while I’m engaged.

And as FishbedL says, the AIM-7 is a much more interesting missile to used because there is more emphasis on the human factor than the 120. Plus the added benefit of a self imposed challenge when facing up against other planes with superior versions of the sparrow like the 27ER or even the 77.

For me, I prefer the AIM-7 and other kinds of semi-active homing missile because it puts a greater emphasis on the plane’s performance over the weapons that it carries. Though I will admit that active homing and off boresight missiles are a nice and fun addition and I do use them at times.