F15C Refuelling Question

Marco1-11

Hi,

I've been learning AAR and purely by accident, I can now comfortably fly close formation with other aircraft. My question is does the AI always take control when connected to the boom as soon as contact is made? So far, all my refuel practice has been manual and each time I leave the controls my F15C loses contact and starts wandering off...it's so frustrating. Am I missing something, as all the AAR vid's I've seen seem to show a pilot's mental state of boredom when refuelling starts ie. looking around and taking in the scenery, definitely not concentrating on maintaining contact.

Thanks

Thought so. It's a real shame there's no reference to AAR procedure in the F15C flight manual, as it would save us having to post these questions and there are so many of them on the same topic.

Thanks George

Think I'll try A10C AAR next, it's bound to be easier from a visual point of view, as the boom is on the nose, and I don't have TrackIR as yet. A really great way to learn how to control the aircraft with precision, if you don't run out of patience first.

The A10 is easier but not easy. You need to be watching the PLDs in any aircraft you are refueling. Don't focus on the boom. You can't use auto pilot with the A10C but you can use it with F15. It may not be realistic but it does give you one less axis to worry about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Never focus on the boom unless testing the ejector seat and parachute I think! Tanking is a challenging skill to be mastered, but not a popular one in my book. Unfortunately, there is no interaction with the boom operator and no flight manual info' for the PFM F15C, so I expect it's low priority for most users. I should really get out more...