Mission: Hover Practise

Telomere

So here is one (of many; for others, search and you will find) assessment of the FM, pro's and con's:

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?21876-DCS&p=368139&viewfull=1#post368139

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post

I'm also a former UH-1H pilot.

I don't play DCS any more, but the UH-1H in my opinion is the best simulated version of any helicopter on PC.

It's definitely not perfect, there are some glaring errors that drive me crazy but probably wouldn't bother a normal user.

As far as helo FM goes, nothing else is close.

The problem I have is that I find DCSW empty and sterile. I also disagree with the 'release Alpha/progress to Beta/abandon product' development cycle (in my opinion).

And here are the negatives according to the same:

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?21876-DCS&p=368161&viewfull=1#post368161

The 'worst' one off the top of my head is the N2 response in autorotation.

IRL The N1 (Gas Producer) section of the engine drives the N2 (Power Turbine) section of the engine, this in turn drives the NR (Rotors).

When the N1 is reduced to idle or off as in an engine failure, there is nothing driving the N2, therefore nothing driving the NR.

When you enter autorotation the air coming up through the main rotor as you descend drives the NR and should keep it somewhere around 6600-6900 depending on your collective position and how well the engineers and maintenance pilots set the rotor head.

With the N1 at idle the N2 should settle somewhere around 5400 IIRC due to idle airflow passing through the engine slowly turning the N2 turbine blades.

In the DCS UH-1H the N2 incorrectly stays 'pinned' to the NR, rising and falling as you raise or lower the collective in autorotation as if there was some connection between NR and N2. IRL a 'sprague' clutch allows the N2 to drive the NR but not the other way around. Kind of like a bicycle wheel, you can pedal to drive the wheels, but if you stop the wheels will not drive the pedals (except for a really crappy bike I had when I was a kid).

In real life a primary indication of successfully entering autorotation is the split between the N2 and NR needles, indicating that the airflow is now driving the NR faster than the N2 (engine).

The DCS UH-1H still autorotates fairly well, certainly much better than any other sim I've tried, with X-Plane a close second, FSX/P3D is just horrible.

This is why I say a normal user probably wouldn't mind. If you keep your eyes outside looking for a landing site and just keep your NR nice and high, an autorotation is going to be pretty close to the real thing. My problem is that I was trained to also check the engine instruments to maybe identify the problem and possibly recover the engine or confirm that no recovery is possible and then secure the engine.

I'd still be playing it if the DCS environment was more enjoyable for me.

- Bear

edit: I should probably mention that I haven't loaded it up for a few months so it may have been fixed... but I doubt it. This was mentioned several times with no response.

hovering with huey in dcs is like suicide. i don't think it is even close to real thing.

As the previous posters have noted, practice, practice, practice.

The Huey is the easiest machine to bring into a hover.... it really is.

Ok wrong.... the Kamov KA-50 is easier to bring into a hover, but the Huey simply glides, organically, into a hover. Initially the pilot workload and joystick input seems excessive but within a short time your brain will understand how this machines weight moves under the choppers dual blades..... it will be understood by your brain and your brain will adapt.... It will become second nature.

To understand this chopper is to know that the chopper body swings free under those blades.

Also the chopper has a high resistance to change due to its weight... it simply will keep moving in a specific direction unless the pilot puts in an opposing command to reduce this movement. At slower speeds think pulses of input.

Once your brain gets used to this constant stick movement it will be simplicity itself. Indeed, to the casual observer sitting in the co pilot multipit, the pilots small but constant joystick inputs may seem excessive for a chopper that appears to be rock solid and hovering in space.... but it is these constant small little inputs that make the chopper hover rock solid in space.

If you had learnt your trade in the gazelle you would understand that this big old dawg was indeed, just a pussy.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Your Mission: Hover Practice installed and working ok. However, being new to DCS and the Huey module, after following many Huey startup tutorials I can't seem to get the Huey to hovet or move.

Your mission has the Huey sitting on the airfield ground all started up. I need to know jwhat are the next steps to get off the ground (to hover). Can You tell me the next control or button to press next and so on. Or point me to some sort of tutorial that can give a step by step tutorial.

I only have a mouse, keyboard and a Logitec Extreme 3DPro joystick to control the Huey.

I'd also be happy just knowing just what are the controls I have to press or set for the Juey to fly without all of the radio and ground control stuff. Is there a Game mode for the aircraft? i'd like to learn how to fly the Huey before getting into all the extras that are not needed for basic flight.

P.s. I do understand the DCS World and aircraft Modules are not a typical video game. I so have ARMA3, BF1942 (Desert Vombat mod}, BF3, BF4, BF2 and a few other programs with helichopter that I can fly very well. But, sometimes a person trying to learn something new gets hung-up or has missed a vital step and needs gets stuck and needs some HELP ....

Please help if You can, Thank's SKY_FOXX

!Thank'S Yurgon, this will be nice addition to my collection tutorials. However this morning about 2am whilr trying to figure out just why I could not get the huey to hover I accidently hit the Right-Alt+J and a external view of the Huey appeared showing it starting to hover. i then hit the F1 key but but no internal view. I again hit the R-Alt+J key and the screen froze for a second or two and BINGO I was inside the Huey. I then started controlling it in a hover.

I had used the Right Alt+J to get inside one of the tanks in a ground mission a few days ago. But, I did not think I needed to do an R-Alt+J for a Hover Training Mission.

I don't feel so frustrated anymore. And now I can get frustrated all over again trying to figure out the best settings for my joystick.

Thank's Again Yurgon, for Your quick reply....SKY_FOXX

This problem is now ---> SOLVED

But, I did not think I needed to do an R-Alt+J for a Hover Training Mission.

I think RAlt+j removes you (the player) from the aircraft, and then the AI takes over and tries to follow the flight plan (or just do a circuit and land, if no flight plan is present in the mission). Then with RAlt+j again, you took control away from the AI, with your chopper now in a hover.

I think the preferred way would be for you do just raise the collective stick and perform the take-off yourself. ;)

Dslyecxi points out what controllers you should have. Rudder pedals are really helpful when flying a chopper, because especially on take-off you need to do a lot of pedal-work. You can use the joystick's twist grip for that (your Extreme 3D Pro does have a twist grip, doesn't it?), but if you start to take a liking to the Huey, I can't recommend a decent set of pedals enough. :thumbup:

In any case, happy flying! IMO the Huey is a fantastic DCS module and I never get bored flying it. :)

I've tried to lift off the without R-Alt+J with my Logitech Extream Ff, my MSWFF2 and my new Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X. I can see the sitck and rudder move in the choppers cockpit. If I press F2 i can see the blades move in the proper directions but when I try to lift off with the collective stick the blades spin off the Huey. Mabe there is some kind of conflict with the joystick, mouse or keyboard?

Mabe there is some kind of conflict with the joystick, mouse or keyboard?

Could be.

You should double check that only the intended device is bound to the axis called "Collective Stick" in the game's controller assignments under "Axis commands" (or similar; not at my PC right now).

When in a mission, you can use the controls indicator (RCTL+Enter) to see what DCS actually does with the axes.

And always be gentle when flying a chopper; maybe you're just raising the collective too quickly?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Yes the mission has the issues with the second level. You have to be 10 degree less than the said heading

I realize this post was a couple years ago, but I might remind new users that you need to do two things to ensure your compass and direction indicator (DI) are synced. First, your compass, on the far right of your instrument panel is magnetic, and your DI is gyro. You must set your DI to the same heading while on the ground, i.e. Synchronize or sync it to the magnetic compass. Second, you need to select DI or MAG using the switch next to the DI. That will determine the difference in bearing on the DI. I don't remember exactly, but I think magnetic north is about 8-10 degrees west declination in the Caucuses. If you don't do the sync and DI or MAG switch, your bearing will be off. I recommend having your switch set to MAG.

• Like 1

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I realize this post was a couple years ago, but I might remind new users that you need to do two things to ensure your compass and direction indicator (DI) are synced. First, your compass, on the far right of your instrument panel is magnetic, and your DI is gyro. You must set your DI to the same heading while on the ground, i.e. Synchronize or sync it to the magnetic compass. Second, you need to select DI or MAG using the switch next to the DI. That will determine the difference in bearing on the DI. I don't remember exactly, but I think magnetic north is about 8-10 degrees west declination in the Caucuses. If you don't do the sync and DI or MAG switch, your bearing will be off. I recommend having your switch set to MAG.

+1

I didn't know that the right one is magnetic also didn't know that there is a switch which let you use either magnetic or DI. Thanks for information.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

• 5 months later...

Don’t take out a corner man then refuse to land when told so they will shoot you out of the air

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I also did not know that so now maybe I can get more than a C

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Well I did this to-day A-B-B and a cookie from the instructor nice fireworks for the tower landing we need more training missions like this

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this mission, started out with a C and after a fue runs achieved an A. After this practice was able to complete Un mission 9 "Wiskey".... so hard.

MSI Z370 Gaming pro carbon/ I7 8700K/ 32GB DDR4/ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X graphics card/ Windows 10/ Vive VR/ Rhino X-55 joystick & throttle/ logitec flight pedals

• 1 month later...

Excellent thanks for this.

A, Failed miserably , C :D

J

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro

Just in case some new folks missed it the rudder trim is unticked by default.Enabling it makes life easier and from what I have read is the way it should be.

rtrm.jpg.5ea320b06d648d91893a48e0abb5d605.jpg

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro