ASW 2.0 DCS Support! NineLine, you have been called out to pass message

hannibal

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9jptp1/asynchronous_spacewarp_20_coming_soon_via_rift/

NineLine, Norm, please connect with reddit user Heaney555.

Better performance on Rift when it is implemented, but it needs to be setup in the DCS Game engine...

Asynchronous SpaceWarp (ASW) is Oculus' magic technology in the Rift drivers, released in late 2016.

When you're playing a VR game at 90FPS, but then something happens that means you're no longer meeting 90FPS (say a large battle, or lots of things happening on screen, or a level more detailed than most of the game, or whatever), ASW automatically kicks in:

It forces the game to render at 45FPS, but it extrapolates each real frame (using the image and the headset tracking data) to generate a synthetic next frame for a total of 90FPS (but every 2nd frame is synthetic, not real).

Whenever your GPU utilisation goes back down (the big battle ends, or you go inside to a more graphically simple area with less things on screen, or whatever), ASW automatically deactives and the game returns to true 90FPS again.

ASW is fully automatic, and works in all games.

ASW works great and is far preferable to the horrible judder that you'd otherwise experience when not at display refresh rate in VR- a synthetic frame is better than no frame. ASW is one of the Rift's main selling points IMO- the end result is that VR is just far more smooth in real gaming.

However, the extrapolated synthetic frames of 1.0 would in some cases (depending on the content of the frame they're based on) have noticeable artefacts like you can see in the GIF above - especially objects with straight edges (or straight lines in general).

ASW 2.0 is the result of 2 years of hard work to fix this. It delivers the same benefits of the original ASW, but now because it also uses depth information, it has far less artefacting (almost none).

***update***

UploadVR review of asw2.0

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rifts-asw-2-0-could-greatly-reduce-artifacts-on-low-end-systems/amp/

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Great news Hannibal. I will bump this thread up to DCS World where it has a better chance of being spotted.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Nice! The linked video shows exactly the reason why I don't like running ASW too much. If they can be avoided, this would be great news indeed.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

This post shoul be on "VR Issues" subforum

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

You act like they wouldn't know about it when they're actively developing VR for the game. They are probably at least in loose contact with Valve and Oculus both on the dev side.

Is this guy even anything besides a random Reddit user posting news clips?

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Is this guy even anything besides a random Reddit user posting news clips?

I am a rift user. There are many that arent happy with dcs and vr performances. If it takes me to write a thread to shine light to getting better vr dcs performance, that is what i will do.

Unless you are going to get me a graphics card beyond 2080ti, please offer a suggestion to help us rift users than questioning this thread.

Maybe you like playing with artifacts.. i dont. I have a 8700K and 1080Ti, fps is underwhelming. I think dcs is opimizing.. but if ASW 2.0 can help me and other that arent fortunate to have atop tier computer.. I WILL CONTINUE TO BRING UP SUGGESTIONS

Edited by hannibal

You miss my point, which is that ED were probably already aware of this, as they're actively developing, and that I was asking why anybody should contact Heanney as he appears to be no one of import. It's fine sharing the announcement, I just think it's silly to act like they wouldn't know about it if not for this random redditor you want them to talk to for no real reason.

VR in general is kind of crap right now, being very early days, combinee with one of the most demanding games in existence, yeah, I'm sure it runs like crap x2. The tech is only usable with those crappy 'made for VR' games at this point, because they're streamlined to make it work well. You can use it with other stuff, but it's a crapshoot. And the resolution sucks even when it does work. I've used an HMD . I sold it, because it sucks. Check back in five years and it might work better, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

They're not going to be able to copy paste some code and make it work, and all this stuff will still be here in six months.

Edited by zhukov032186

You miss my point, which is that ED were probably already aware of this, as they're actively developing, and that I was asking why anybody should contact Heanney as he appears to be no one of import. It's fine sharing the announcement, I just think it's silly to act like they wouldn't know about it if not for this random redditor you want them to talk to for no real reason.

VR in general is kind of crap right now, being very early days, combinee with one of the most demanding games in existence, yeah, I'm sure it runs like crap x2. The tech is only usable with those crappy 'made for VR' games at this point, because they're streamlined to make it work well. You can use it with other stuff, but it's a crapshoot. And the resolution sucks even when it does work. I've used an HMD . I sold it, because it sucks. Check back in five years and it might work better, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

They're not going to be able to copy paste some code and make it work, and all this stuff will still be here in six months.

Utter rubbish. VR is awesome even now. 99% of uses seem to love it.

:thumbup:

Have been loving it since Jan 2017. Have never been able to go back to non VR since.

Also afaik as others mention, pretty sure ASW is reliant on Oculus software only.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It's a great proof of concept that works moderately ok. I've used it. It's ideal in theory for flight sims, but due to numerous issues including awful resolution it is completely unsuited for the thing it's best suited for. Works ok for racing though.

Good HMDs, and the hardware to drive them, is 3-5 years away, at least. All this we have right now is little more than proof of concept. Buying it funds the projects to make sure good ones arrive down the road.

This. ASW is done with the Rift software. Has nothing to do with DCS.

YES AND NO

ASW 1.0 works for all games.

how ever, NOT ASW 2.0

it is in developlement.

when it is released, it must be implemented in custom game engines like DCS.

it requires depth info.

maybe it will be on, or off in DCS when ASW 2.0 is made available.

but if its not.. at least i like to spread the word to DCS devs so they are aware of it.

read the reddit, or check out this youtube video, ASW 2.0 (starts at 30:00)

VR is demanding no doubt, but it puts 2d gaming in the shade. IL2 Box is really just epic in VR and runs well enough, looks great with a fantastic damage model. To fly thru a bomber formation with bits of debris and aircraft flying by your canopy is a true gaming experience. DCS seems to have more difficulty running in VR and needs more TLC on the VR front, but surpasses the 2D version by a country mile. I just cannot play either on a flat screen, it`s the difference between a good wine and a bottle of vinegar. Make no mistake, for flight and race sims VR is a massive game changer and well worth the effort as is.

EA and DCS is actively developing VR support? Really? Because from my perspective VR support in DCS has been minimal and sketchy from day 1. More an afterthought or grudging effort than dedicated support.

For Combat Arms, yes, they abandoned it for now. But ED has supported VR since DK1. And FA-18, Harriers really support VR well. Sure, performance could be better (less demanding) but it's incredibly unfair to say that support has been minimal.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's a great proof of concept that works moderately ok. I've used it. It's ideal in theory for flight sims, but due to numerous issues including awful resolution it is completely unsuited for the thing it's best suited for. Works ok for racing though.

Good HMDs, and the hardware to drive them, is 3-5 years away, at least. All this we have right now is little more than proof of concept. Buying it funds the projects to make sure good ones arrive down the road.

I can fully operate the a10c in VR without restriction, so your argument is null and void.

YES AND NO

ASW 1.0 works for all games.

how ever, NOT ASW 2.0

it is in developlement.

when it is released, it must be implemented in custom game engines like DCS.

it requires depth info.

maybe it will be on, or off in DCS when ASW 2.0 is made available.

but if its not.. at least i like to spread the word to DCS devs so they are aware of it.

read the reddit, or check out this youtube video, ASW 2.0 (starts at 30:00)

Wags is aware of this thread.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

For Combat Arms, yes, they abandoned it for now. But ED has supported VR since DK1. And FA-18, Harriers really support VR well. Sure, performance could be better (less demanding) but it's incredibly unfair to say that support has been minimal.

I agree. It’s nothing more than rude trolling to says what he said.