The Rookie Thread

Gery, you are so right! :)

d.burnette: guns can be used in a similar setup to Vihkr. Approach for auto hover (you'll probably need to be closer than 1.5km from target), setup your Shkval, master arm, clear the gun trigger, oh, and don't forget to switch on turn to target (Q). Really helpful. Also, set HE rounds. Make sure the guns are not in fxed boresight position. They need to be able to track your targets.

I don't think you'll need laser on Standby for troops, only to rangefind to see if you're close enough - your HUD reticle should show this as well.

To any vets here, please correct me/enhace my explaination as required. I hate to stear anyone astray.

Rectum non bustus

astropud - thanks for the tips!

I went ahead and went through the weapons deployment training mission again, and when I took control I was able to successful kill the remaining targets with my guns/cannon. Now that felt really good!

I love it when I can make progress, I feel like things are finally starting to come together - but I realize shooting at enemies that shoot back will be a whole different story, but I sure am starting to look forward to the challenge!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok so I have progressed to the shooting range mission, in order to maybe tune my shooting skills - but when I fly the waypoints, I cannot find any enemies to shoot... I am under the impression they should be somewhere in the area inside the box the waypoints form ( wp 2-3-4-5). I have used my zoom, I have used the shkval, and I cannot find a single enemy - not one.

I even turned labels on, and still cannot locate any. The briefing states there are a total of 35 targets.

What in the world am I missing here? I am sure it is something very simple that I am managing to miss...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The labels will not show. They are, for want of a better term, part of the landscape. They are static objects like rocks and buildings.

You will find the targets at WP 3, so as soon as you get to WP2, and turn to 3, initiate a hover, and set your Shkval to look a bit past WP 3. There will be a variety of bunkers, guard towers, tanks and, further on, trucks and BMPs. Check out page 2 of the mission breifing. It should show you approximately where they are.

Rectum non bustus

Ok so I have progressed to the shooting range mission, in order to maybe tune my shooting skills - but when I fly the waypoints, I cannot find any enemies to shoot... I am under the impression they should be somewhere in the area inside the box the waypoints form ( wp 2-3-4-5). I have used my zoom, I have used the shkval, and I cannot find a single enemy - not one.

I even turned labels on, and still cannot locate any. The briefing states there are a total of 35 targets.

What in the world am I missing here? I am sure it is something very simple that I am managing to miss...

The Mission-Builder, for reasons unknown, placed the Units as Static Objects instead of actual live Units (Reason might be to prevent the Units from Clubbing the Rookie).

One of the consequences of this is that the Units only 'appear' at close range which could explain your difficulty.

Another aspect of the mission on my install are that the Units are all but destroyed and according to the De-Brief Spawn as destroyed.......so you'd be better advised to Hone your skills elsewhere/on another mission - this one does not work too well.

In any event, Units are there.......Orientate yourself with the following screenies and search again :)

ScreenShot_006-5.jpg

ScreenShot_005-4.jpg

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Ah ok, many thanks guys for the information guys, that is a big help, especially the screenies!

Don B

OK... The #1 ultimate rule of this simulator.

Greed = KIA

No matter what, if you start getting trigger happy you will die every time. I learn this lesson about 15 times a day when I am on. Keep your head on a swivel and dont push it.

SPARTAN1-1 Спартанец1-1

Dell XPS 630i / Windows 7 / Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00 GHZ / 4 GB Corsair Dominator 1066/ NVIDIA 8800GT X 2 / Track IR 4Pro / X52 + Pedals

Dell Studio XPS 1647 / Windows 7 / Intel i7 620 @ 2.67 GHZ / 4 GB RAM / ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

I used Par_Bellum's tutorial on how to take off and blow things up, I screwed up on the first attempt, but second attempt seemed to get it right!

Where can I find this tutorial? I can't seem to find any user named par_bellum, par or bellum.

Where can I find this tutorial? I can't seem to find any user named par_bellum, par or bellum.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/Tutorial_How_to_take_off_and_b.html#Post2626185

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah thanks :)

I can't seem to lock on any of the 3 tanks in the tutorial of Parabellum though. It does lock on any moving car driving around the area but I can't seem to set the tanks as target. As far as I can see I did everything the tutorial says.

Edited by manne

In single player missions if I dont have any labels turned on to keep it real, how do I detect threats before its too late.. I dont seem to be receiving any intelligence..

Of course not, what did you expect? There's some limited information in the ABRIS, the rest is obtained from the briefing. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

welcome everyone..

i thought I'd post here and share that I have hacked out a new pilot resource page in the ED wiki..

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Talk:Main_Page

i really don't know if that is the best palce for it but someone had to start with something - someone can always steal the edit code and put it where it should belong. at least it is there for new pilots to utilize.

enjoy and help it grow.

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

NP...

i notice there are more than one wiki for dcs... please move it to where it belongs... i am not good at that stuff. thanks!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

welcome everyone..

i thought I'd post here and share that I have hacked out a new pilot resource page in the ED wiki..

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Talk:Main_Page

i really don't know if that is the best palce for it but someone had to start with something - someone can always steal the edit code and put it where it should belong. at least it is there for new pilots to utilize.

enjoy and help it grow.

Thanks for the link. Lots of info.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest moonboy

external wing tanks?

i just got this awesome sim a few days ago, and have been enjoying it alot, but was wondering about something... how do you tell how much gas is in your external wing tanks?? is there a third needle on the fuel gauge im not seeing? is there a separate gauge somewhere else?

maybe the small gauge on the right panel all the way in the back that isnt marked?

thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this!:helpsmilie:

nevermind...shoulda searched first...duh.

Edited by moonboy
duh

Hey all, I guess this is the newbie thread then?

I just got Blackshark the other day and also had a X52 delivered today, not played sims in years apart from the odd flight in FSX, I've always yearned for a helo sim and saw some screenshots of this and had to get it. I love it already :D

Not sure what to do with all my buttons etc on the X52 yet, and at the moment I'm still playing in easy mode, but I'm aiming at full on settings eventually.

Hi guys. I'm new too, just been flying since August.

I strongly suggest you dive straight into full real mode, as It's the only way you will pick up this terrific sim without leanring any bad habits.

The biggest killer us newbies encounter in this (I proudly stand among the newbie! :)) is VRS - Vortex Ring State. If I remember rightly Game mode doesn't produce conditions for VRS. Check out the Wiki:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots

In a nutshell, VRS is when the ship is descending in it's own downwash and thus not getting new air to keep it stable. Even with full collective and power, you still keep heading for the dirt.

Game mode won't teach you that. :)

Anyhoo, welcome to the best sim around!

Rectum non bustus

Hey all, I guess this is the newbie thread then?

Not sure what to do with all my buttons etc on the X52 yet, and at the moment I'm still playing in easy mode, but I'm aiming at full on settings eventually.

Heya mate,

Agree with the other comment on jumping into realistic straight away... it's not that scary or hard, but it is pretty rewarding :)

With regards to what to put on your hotas ... the best configuration (in theory) is the actual configuration ... go to the controls section, and filter it down to the controls INS Collective and INS Cyclic , and you can see what real collective and cyclic buttons there are, and allocate accordingly :)

Well I gotta say I think I am done gang. I have put in a lot of hours learning just how to keep this chopper in the air, and it still just comes back and bites me in the tail.

I guess it is just too complex for me. I thought I was really going to enjoy it.

I have been flying Para_Bellum's tutorial over and over. I swear after a few minutes, after I start firing weapons, the chopper just gets a mind of it's own and goes anywhere it wants, making it virtually uncontrollable to me. It seems to happen mostly after I have engaged and then disengaged hover hold.

No way could I ever enter any decent combat, and I am pretty much about out of hours to devote to this thing.

I was really excited when I purchased Black Shark and then the printed manual, but for now I feel like all the air has been let out of the sails. I don't have much of anything left for it anymore...

Don B

Well I gotta say I think I am done gang. I have put in a lot of hours learning just how to keep this chopper in the air, and it still just comes back and bites me in the tail.

I guess it is just too complex for me. I thought I was really going to enjoy it.

I have been flying Para_Bellum's tutorial over and over. I swear after a few minutes, after I start firing weapons, the chopper just gets a mind of it's own and goes anywhere it wants, making it virtually uncontrollable to me. It seems to happen mostly after I have engaged and then disengaged hover hold.

No way could I ever enter any decent combat, and I am pretty much about out of hours to devote to this thing.

I was really excited when I purchased Black Shark and then the printed manual, but for now I feel like all the air has been let out of the sails. I don't have much of anything left for it anymore...

I've been Piloting the Shark for close to a year now and I'm still learning and probably only halfway competent, if that.........It does not happen overnight ;)

Why not post a track of the difficulties you are experiencing so we can assist :)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why not post a track of the difficulties you are experiencing so we can assist

You never get tired to ask for tracks, eh? :thumbup: Funny that hardly anybody accepts your offer. :doh:

Edited by sobek
  • Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!