Engines off, landing gear extend?

Preendog

So I'm out of gas, gliding to the airport and don't want to scratch the plane.

Is there any way to lower the gear? I haven't found a way but I want to be sure there isn't a manual override or a way to unlock the doors, or something.

Yes, the Emergency Gear Extension Handle. Its done by using the mouse wheel on the gear handle.

But dont get your hopes up, if you do that, the plane behaves funny, I think (just think) due to a bug in the hydraulics, probably appeared when ED fixed the emergency gear which didnt work for quite some time.

Cool, thanks! I had no idea.

Doesn't seem to work in current stable version (ran out of fuel, twisted, pulled and dropped handle, no joy), but when it does I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of it.

Oh ok, then ED must have fixed it recently. Thats why it doesnt work in the stable.

I run the OB.

Doesn't seem to work in current stable version (ran out of fuel, twisted, pulled and dropped handle, no joy), but when it does I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of it.

Why do you want to get lots of use out of it? You shouldn't want that

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Apologies for not focusing the the "Gear Extension" question ....

Apart from this (maybe) being a hypothetical question, my first thought is How/Why are you running out of gas???

This is a multi-million dollar jet we're talking about - not an odd Cessna-152....

Your mission planning should be covering the target(s), distance(s), fuel load, and, ultimately, abort procedures (if it goes south).

Without giving any thought to tankers, alternate landing sides, etc. my first thought, if you're running out of gas -- You're doing it wrong... :lol:

How many bad guys should you shoot down to cover for a lost F-18 Jet & Pilot?

Getting Jet/Pilot home safe is #1 Priority -- Killing the Bad Guys is #2.... Everything else is after those...

ReThink your sortie planning... :smilewink::)

Cheers,

4 ~S!~

Apart from this (maybe) being a hypothetical question, my first thought is How/Why are you running out of gas???

This is a multi-million dollar jet we're talking about - not an odd Cessna-152....

Your mission planning should be covering the target(s), distance(s), fuel load, and, ultimately, abort procedures (if it goes south).

Without giving any thought to tankers, alternate landing sides, etc. my first thought, if you're running out of gas -- You're doing it wrong... :lol:

Getting Jet/Pilot home safe is #1 Priority -- Killing the Bad Guys is #2.... Everything else is after those...

Cheers,

4 ~S!~

That's funny, when I crash I get a new plane and pilot for free. Did you accidentally sign up for the Navy instead of switching DCS on?

Fourspeed you are right to question my fuel economy, but you misunderstand. I run out of fuel exactly as planned, because deadstick is 40% cooler than normal. Especially after a fight where I just barely didn't eat it.

It's even cooler if you're smoking and the gear lowers just before you touch down.

Cheers,

4 ~S!~

You are assuming a lot here...always dangerous. It could very well be that the fuel went away a bit quicker than foreseen due to battle damage. Happened to me one or two times that a MANPAD ruptured a tank or fuel line.

Fourspeed you are right to question my fuel economy, but you misunderstand. I run out of fuel exactly as planned, because deadstick is 40% cooler than normal. Especially after a fight where I just barely didn't eat it.

It's even cooler if you're smoking and the gear lowers just before you touch down.

Makes me wonder if it was the plane who was smoking or you ... and if so what stuff:lol:

i overspeeded the gear, it wouldn't retract or extend, the emergency twist on the gear handle brought it back down. so its definitely working.

SFMBE

It does work with engines off, and it does need hyd press. It uses the apu accumulator.

That would be stored pressure. The no hyd pressure I was referring to would be the hyd 1 & 2 systems not working with both motors offline.

I always like to be capable of at least knowing how I would dead stick anything that I strap myself into, and with 15,000 hours IRL it has served me well.

If I don’t know how then I shouldn’t be flying the plane, albeit this is dcS and not RL, just saying!

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

So this was good timing.

Read this thread, learned about mouse wheel on the gear when engines are dead....then next mission took some AAA that took out my electronics, and eventually engines.

Got to get the gear out before trying an emergency landing in the dirt. Which worked until touchdown re-aligned me into a tree.

Cheers,

4 ~S!~

For the record, you should be doing all that in the odd Cessna-152 too. Well, except maybe the tanker part.

• 1 month later...

I'm playing on stable version.

So basic NATOPS question,( that I cannot find answer to) is after the engines quit (poor fuel management, battle damage etc) the hydraulics eventually bled out leaving me with a dead stick.

Is there some sort of RAM air turbine or backup HYD function that I should be switching on in the cockpit to at least give me some sort of control?

thanks

I'm playing on stable version.

So basic NATOPS question,( that I cannot find answer to) is after the engines quit (poor fuel management, battle damage etc) the hydraulics eventually bled out leaving me with a dead stick.

Is there some sort of RAM air turbine or backup HYD function that I should be switching on in the cockpit to at least give me some sort of control?

thanks

I don't think Hornet/SuperHornet community trains for dead stick landings that much:smilewink:

Single engine... yes. Heck, Supers don't even have mech reversion do they?

Anyways, as a veteran DCS Hornet pilot I am fully certified in landing with 2 dead engines:D

Too bad the NWS doesn't work after emergency gear extension... it should! The forward Hyd isol. valve is open after emergency gear ext. so we should have some pressure for NWS and emergency breaking. :doh: This gives me an idea... running to try "something"!