VR Questions

kmw072671

Hi guys,

New to VR and have been trying to set-up my options for VR to run well. I have a newer I7-9700, RTX-2080Ti, 32GB ram, Rift S so should be good on hardware.

I dialed back my graphics a bit to mostly medium levels, flat shadows and VR seems to run smooth which is nice, pixel density @ 1.3, 2X MSAA, 2X ansotropic.

My FPS never change from 40 FPS no matter what I change my settings to, even after changing my GPU from a 2070 to 2080Ti?? Seems like a bug on the FPS meter?

Do you use the hand controllers to manipulate cockpit controls? I have been using the cross hairs and mouse button but I find the cross hairs are hard to keep in front view?

Between missions my VR referance point changes, sometimes closer or father back in the cockpit, is there a way to re-set view while in the game? Otherwise I have to quit and set-up head-set through the Oculus program.

Any suggestions?

You can re-center the VR headset view whilst flying.

From the main screen, go to settings (Gear icon) > Controls.

In the top left select "UI Layer".

In the list of controls is VR re-center (or similar name). Click on this under the keyboard column. Bind this to a key and click accept.

Pressing this key whilst flying will move your "current head" position in the game back to the nominal head position. As in other games put your head in the "right" position for you then hit the button.

You can use the hand controllers, but I don't, I use the cross hairs and mouse. I do find it hard to see the mouse sometimes, I had a rendering issue where it goes black, so very hard to spot!

In the input/output forum user MilesD has developed a finger-mounted pointing system. I have signed up but haven't tried it yet, but this looks like it could be a good method for interaction. Be warned this is not a commercial product.

Regarding FPS, I use a different headset (Pimax), but the fps counter works for me. For my headset there is a smoothing function that locks the frame rate to a certain level (e.g. 40hz) and interpolates to generate an 80hz update rate. I don't know if the Rift S works in the same way?

the FPS holding at 40FPS is probally because I think the Rift s uses ASW (A Syncronous Warping) as your Rift S uses 80Hz and ASW halves the HZ rate to 40 if you cant maintain 80FPS..

You could try and disable ASW if possible? but if it is at 40FPS means you cannot maintain 80FPS..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I checked the Oculus debug tool and the A syncronous warping is disabled so not sure...

I would think with a 2080Ti OC and a I7 9700 OC with medium settings I could hit 80 FPS in VR? But maybe not, waiting on updated VR maps...

Upon further investigation if I look at the sky FPS goes to 80 and looking at ground it drops to 40 FPS

Edited by kmw072671

I checked the Oculus debug tool and the A syncronous warping is disabled so not sure...

I would think with a 2080Ti OC and a I7 9700 OC with medium settings I could hit 80 FPS in VR? But maybe not, waiting on updated VR maps...

Upon further investigation if I look at the sky FPS goes to 80 and looking at ground it drops to 40 FPS

Make sure the "vsync" option is disabled in DCS settings.

vsync does pretty much what asw does. If you can keep your screen's refresh rate (80Hz = 80fps) then it will "lock" there. Otherwise it will lock to the nearest lower value (the first step being half of it so 80Hz = 40fps)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

You may want to look at this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201746 regarding the 'stuck' fps.

We already have the updated VR maps - apparently! However, most people are seeing very little difference. ED are gathering data https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243521 and trying to figure it out.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You may want to look at this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201746 regarding the 'stuck' fps.

We already have the updated VR maps - apparently! However, most people are seeing very little difference. ED are gathering data https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243521 and trying to figure it out.

I thought it was only in the BETA path at this point.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I thought it was only in the BETA path at this point.

It is!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hi guys,

New to VR and have been trying to set-up my options for VR to run well. I have a newer I7-9700, RTX-2080Ti, 32GB ram, Rift S so should be good on hardware.

I dialed back my graphics a bit to mostly medium levels, flat shadows and VR seems to run smooth which is nice, pixel density @ 1.3, 2X MSAA, 2X ansotropic.

My FPS never change from 40 FPS no matter what I change my settings to, even after changing my GPU from a 2070 to 2080Ti?? Seems like a bug on the FPS meter?

Do you use the hand controllers to manipulate cockpit controls? I have been using the cross hairs and mouse button but I find the cross hairs are hard to keep in front view?

Between missions my VR referance point changes, sometimes closer or father back in the cockpit, is there a way to re-set view while in the game? Otherwise I have to quit and set-up head-set through the Oculus program.

Any suggestions?

And check that DCS.EXE is running on more than 1 core! After the second last update, for me, it now randomly defaults to either running on 1 or all cores, and the difference in FPS goes from 15 FPS to a steady 40 FPS on MP servers (and my PC is nearly 3 years old - and not overclocked at the moment!).

I've suggested this should be a sticky in the VR forum, as it is so important for those affected by it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243170

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

And check that DCS.EXE is running on more than 1 core! After the second last update, for me, it now randomly defaults to either running on 1 or all cores

it shouldn’t be random. there is no code in DCS to do this.

do you have process lasso running?

or any other tools/utilities that “adjust” normal operating system core affinity algorithms?

it sounds like you have something installed in your machine that is causing problems.

it shouldn’t be random. there is no code in DCS to do this.

do you have process lasso running?

or any other tools/utilities that “adjust” normal operating system core affinity algorithms?

it sounds like you have something installed in your machine that is causing problems.

Just reporting it as is. Before the second last beta update DCS only ran on 1 core for the 3 years I’ve had this PC and performance in VR in MP was terrible. I bought the Vive when it first came out in Australia.

Since the second last beta update DCS.EXE is suddenly starting either using 1 or All cores.

Coincidentally, this is also around the same time ED are saying they can’t work out why some ppl are getting performance improvements with their VR mod, and others not - with some ppl reporting a decrease in performance.

I posted a comment about this on their request for information on VR post, because suddenly having this happen (if it is happening to others) is going to skew their results. Unfortunately they deleted my reply as it didn’t contain the data they wanted.

I don’t have process lasso as I’m happy to just hit ctl alt del and set the affinity to all when I start DCS.

Edited by JimmyWA
Added more information

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller