F/A -18C VR first impression

dburne

OMG!!

So loaded up a takeoff instant action mission over Persian Gulf. First time I was dropped into the cockpit I was so blown away. This thing in VR is gorgeous! I mean drop dead gorgeous!!

So first I amazed myself by successfully taxiing to the runway, and taking off without breaking anything. Flaps up, gear up, and I was off sightseeing over the Persian Gulf. Had a little fun with the afterburners, and a couple of loops. Even made stomach a little queasy the first time, it seemed so real.

Made some low speed passes, checked out some exterior views - man that fly by sound, you gotta hear it - absolutely incredible!

So finally instead of hitting escape, I thought why not. Picked a nearby runway, and started an approach. Got below 200, down around 150. Flaps down, check. Gear down, check.

Lined up to the runway, and greased her in for the most part. I was stunned, at this first successful attempt.

At low speed this baby is very docile, especially with flaps down.

What a ride! And what a gorgeous bird!

Now to the meat, to actually start learning some of the systems and see where I can progress. I can tell you I am now highly motivated!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!

So loaded up a takeoff instant action mission over Persian Gulf. First time I was dropped into the cockpit I was so blown away. This thing in VR is gorgeous! I mean drop dead gorgeous!!

So first I amazed myself by successfully taxiing to the runway, and taking off without breaking anything. Flaps up, gear up, and I was off sightseeing over the Persian Gulf. Had a little fun with the afterburners, and a couple of loops. Even made stomach a little queasy the first time, it seemed so real.

Made some low speed passes, checked out some exterior views - man that fly by sound, you gotta hear it - absolutely incredible!

So finally instead of hitting escape, I thought why not. Picked a nearby runway, and started an approach. Got below 200, down around 150. Flaps down, check. Gear down, check.

Lined up to the runway, and greased her in for the most part. I was stunned, at this first successful attempt.

At low speed this baby is very docile, especially with flaps down.

What a ride! And what a gorgeous bird!

Now to the meat, to actually start learning some of the systems and see where I can progress. I can tell you I am now highly motivated!

Congratulations and enjoy your much awaited bird.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Did the carrier come with it then?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Thanks guys, prepare to be blown away!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes - the USS Stennis

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

The new carrier is available to everyone for free. Not just those that purchase the Hornet.

Wags, is there a tutorial for carrier operations? I mean attaching launch bar to catapult, raising the ramp, launching, etc?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Wags, is there a tutorial for carrier operations? I mean attaching launch bar to catapult, raising the ramp, launching, etc?

There are quite a few good videos on YT. See these for starters:

CI

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Did the carrier come with it then?

Oh yes most definitely.

In fact just did my first carrier takeoff - it is an Instant Action mission. My first attempt was a success!

Other planes and helicopter hanging around was very cool.

Flew a couple circles and attempted my first carrier landing - not so good LOL. Ended up in the drink.

This is going to be so much fun!

Guess I should check out some of the carrier training missions lol.

Also really like some of the new controller categories in the controller setup menu.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Probably the next two training missions.

8- Carrier takeoff

9- Case I recovery

Thanks! Specifically, I meant what keys do we press to make those happen?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Echoing OP, seriously the best fun I've had in VR, it's one thing to read the manual and know what it can do, actually sitting in the seat and seeing it from that perspective and watching the HUD numbers and the world around you is a whole new level. Very much recommend for anyone with access to the hardware!

Yep! Really good in VR. I’m not well at the moment and had to stop due to nearly chucking up.

The cockpit is incredible and I really like the used look of the switches and the stick. Turning my

head to check 6 for the first time was breathtaking after seeing so many videos of this view.

Brilliant job. It’s gonna be a classic.

I am getting so close on my carrier landing, still hitting a little short which does not end well LOL.

So loving it, I know I will nail it soon.

Don B

I wonder what is up with the new "Debug" category in the controller setup menu for the F/A-18C?It has like Landing on Carrier, Restart mission, and Toggle Console?

Don B

Nailed 3rd wire on the first try!

LOL. Can't wait to try it out.

4W6a7sg.gif

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Congrats, Don! You really seem to enjoy the experience with the Hornet in VR. Sadly I have to wait until next week to enjoy her with the Rift as I have to work in the next days.

I was just wondering how the readability of the cockpit/screens is? And also how good the VR-performance (fps) is compared to other moduls? Any drawbacks because of the sophisticated cockpit?

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Very nice! Had some trim issues, but worked that out by centering the axis curve and then it would trim. Also had to set up 40 TM MFD buttons and they work like a champ! All in all, very pleased.

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]