Realistic or Balance - J-11A Datalink

uboats

Realistic or Balance - J-11A Datalink  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Realistic or Balance - J-11A Datalink

I agree this need clarification. If the plane itself has DL equipment then keep it, if not then remove it. It could make it unique gameplay with J-11, kinda like 29SM with few advantages. R-77 but no DL.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Ad a 3rd option to the vote. "Realism to best possible degree" should be the goal.

If any module in DCS World can have gamechanging features voted in/out. Well then we are back to DC and have to work hard to get the S back in the sentence.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I understood,

Update 1: add R-77 shooting capability;

Update 2: replace old MFD with MFI-55;

Update 3: install Made-In-China DL

It's a bit confusing to keep U1 and U3, without U2.

My suggestion:

1) if DIS will/can not finish U2, remove U3, J-11A stay as U1, for realistic

or

2) if DIS decide to finish U2, keep U1 and U3, eventually, we will get J-11A U3. Still, it's realistic

Edited by L0op8ack

As I understood,

Update 1: add R-77 shooting capability;

Update 2: replace old MFD with MFI-55;

Update 3: install Made-In-China DL

It's a bit confusing to keep U1 and U3, without U2.

There are additional aspects here, IMHO, already mentioned.

So, again:

1) did the plane keep the Russian export-level DL equipment (as it is apparently mentioned in the Su-27SK manual) which would work with Russian ground stations/AWACS (e.g. if they're in the same coalition in the mission), and

2) if this Russian export-level DL equipment is kept in J11A, than in-flight DL between J11A's of the same flight group (up to 4 would be RL limitation, I presume?) should still work.

Still waiting for a comment on this from the OP.

Not sure what Chinese ground equipment is included, but if the original DL equipment is still there in the early J11A, then I would prefer to keep the DL functionality and add required Russian ground units to the Chinese coalition making them optional for the scenario creator.

But, I presume that currently, the DL functionality is not tied to specific equipment (as we don't have these ground stations in the game), but more to unit types of either EWR or AWACS to be present in the mission, right? Are there any Chinese specific EWR and AWACS units in the game at the moment, anyway?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Meh, had to vote for realism.

Would be nice to have a better redfor fighter but... at the end DCS is (and should be) still a simulator.

When we now start to trade realism for balance what will come next? Remove the aim-120c? ;)

Keep current capability!

1. The chinese modified the J-11A, this might be some "interim variant" where data-link was possible. I think it is at least a plausible situation.

2. It adds capability. Now for all you realism hardcore guys, think a sec. Aircrafts are often exstensively modified IRL. While realism is great, DCS is pretty far away in a lot of areas. How about all the fantasy systems on the Su-25T? I hear no complains about that It can do SEAD and stuff. And people in MP are lobbing tripple racked AGM-65s from their A-10C in force correlate mode, that is also not very realistic. This is a minor thing that actually brings Redfor aircraft up in capability and that is a good thing.

EDIT.

Changed my mind. Remove and keep it close to realistic as possible. Chinese only cockpit etc. You did a good job on the J-11A so let's defferentiate it from the other RU aircraft

@uboats Won't the MiG-29S avionics be closer to the J-11A?

Edited by Schmidtfire

If the J-11A we have modeled, does NOT have a datalink, how is this even a question? Remove it. It hurts as a REDFOR player sure, but realism takes priority over all other aspects, this is a simulation! Model the J-11A as it is nin reality, not as we wish it was. We still have the Su-27 and it's datalink if we want that capability.

no, not installed in exported 27SK to China nor 11A

Ah, I see. Thanks for the answer. That's an interesting question then.

The most flexible option then would be to make it as an option by the mission designer, so that if Chinese EWR/AWACS units are present in the mission, it might work if activated in the mission options. It's not that far fetched if the later J-11A U3 upgrade has it and the lack of a proper MFD could be considered an FC3 limitation anyway.

So, I'd vote for c) Make it an option for the mission designer.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

If Deka's intent was to create the J11a late but they dont have access to all the information, then let the current iteration slide until they have a better solution.

LOL @ realism. You guys are arguing about realism in an FC3 aircraft, the whole purpose of which is to not be realistic.

If realism nazi's ruled DCS:

we'd have no early access because the flight models are incomplete and "not realistic".

There'd be no A2A missiles because they're "not realistic"

No d2m, no FC3.

If we wanted to go over every module with a fine tooth comb and check for capabilities that do not correspond with the current cockpit layout, we'd probably get rid of the f15's 120c, because we're using an 80s cockpit and a mid-90's missile.

I wonder why all these people that fly blufor even care about whether the J11a has datalink....

Again, you all know DL is not working in MP?

Yes It partially does. But no datalink from other fighters only AWACS. Everything that AWACS sees on it's radar (enemy aircraft, friendly aircraft and their heading) is on the HDD in multiplayer. Very helpful as you can do IRST intercepts with radar off and still maintain great situational awareness and position yourself in a favourable position for a sneaky shot.

Edited by Schmidtfire

True, but the main benefit from the DL is beeing able to share contacts between wingmen without turning on the radar and also knowing where are your wingmen at any time, all without an Awacs.

But if the real J-11A doesnt have DL, then remove it.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

LOL @ realism. You guys are arguing about realism in an FC3 aircraft, the whole purpose of which is to not be realistic.

FC forgoes the realistic depth of systems modeling, not realism in its entirety. The "end goal" of combat is meant to be relatively realistic and the datalink plays a big role in combat. It's not hypocritical at all to discuss it when it has that capacity to affect the combat experience, especially if the aircraft that's being most closely modeled doesn't have the capability.

Even compared with the massive, realism-shattering anachronism that is the D2M on the M2kC this datalink has much greater capacity to affect combat on a fundamental level while the D2M is kind of a creature comfort for people who are too lazy to watch for IR missile launches. And of course being able to disable it at the mission designer's discretion makes the whole thing a non-issue. I'd bet the current state of the J-11 having the datalink is more a result of convenience than anything, being one more thing to be modified from the original Su-27, but that's not a reason for it to stay as it is. Should be removed or at least made an option to disable like D2M.