Current State of DCS - Perspective

StrongHarm

I've been flying DCS since BS1 and I've watched it grow by leaps and bounds over the years, but something happened to me tonight that really put things into perspective. I hope you don't mind if I share.

I was flying a particularly difficult mission I created in the Caucasus map. The bird I was flying went down so I thought I'd just check out the eye candy and watch another Warthog land at Batumi. He was on final with the sun coming up at around 0650. I zoomed all the way in from his 10 o'clock position, and since I was on Rift I also used VR zoom. As I turned my head and looked at the Warthog and the surroundings I realized that it had been a very long time since I slowed down, let go of the stick, and just enjoyed the visuals. I admired the detail and smooth movements of the bird as it came in for a landing, and while it was taxiing I enjoyed the sunrays peeking through the trees on the top of the mountain. It seemed so real that I thought for a moment I could smell JP-8 in the morning air. I felt like I was back on the flight line.

The purpose of this post and the realization I came to is this: As an aviation enthusiast, I realized that I would pay vast amounts of money simply to have access to the external aircraft views and terrain we enjoy in DCS. Not only is it the best and most accurate aviation sim by a wide margin, it's the best thing you can view in VR, period. Slow down sometime and watch a Warthog land or an Eagle fly NOE or an Apache move through a city. Simply breathtaking. Bravo ED!

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

DCS truly is incredibly beautiful. I notice this most of all when I fly over the Nevada terrain, which is absolutely stunning. Similarly with the depth and detail of the modelling of the aircraft and systems, truly best in class. I sometimes feel frustrated by the things I feel DCS is lacking, at the moment for me that's been getting a good reliable framerate in VR in bigger missions and a dynamic campaign (although the MBot campaigns are awesome). I see so much potential in DCS, I'd really like to see that potential be realised.

Edited by Tomsk

A remote computer support person via Team Viewer commented "nice looking simulator!" This was when we started it up NTTR to test the repair of a scrambled 2.5 installation. :thumbup:

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Installed: DCS World, DCS World 2 with Nevada, F-5; Purchased: F/A-18C

I sometimes feel frustrated by the things I feel DCS is lacking, at the moment for me that's been getting a good reliable framerate in VR in bigger missions..

I've found that with the proper settings VR can be smooth as butter. Here's my writeup on it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201647

tldr;

VR PD = 1.2

MSAA = 2x

Anisotropic Filtering = 2x (16x with latest build)

Deferred Shading = ON

Terrain Shadows = FLAT

Cockpit Global Illumination = ON

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

OP, agreed.

For me, DCS is a showcase for VR.

I feel privileged every time that I fly in VR that we can even do it

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

OP, I love that sensation, I always take the "long way home" after finishing a mission by recreating myself with such moments:)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I've found that with the proper settings VR can be smooth as butter. Here's my writeup on it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201647

tldr;

VR PD = 1.2

MSAA = 2x

Anisotropic Filtering = 2x (16x with latest build)

Deferred Shading = ON

Terrain Shadows = FLAT

Cockpit Global Illumination = ON

So I read your post in full and tried your suggested settings. It's just great for flying round an empty map (I get continuous uninterrupted 45 FPS), but on an MBot mission I get 20-25 FPS at best. Unless of course I press the "Pause" key and then look around, and then it goes to perfect uninterrupted 45 FPS again.

Edited by Tomsk

Tomsk, it could be your processor. You may need to consider an i7. With the settings I outlined I maintain no less than 80fps with over 30 aircraft hitting a target. I get about 70 flying with several aircraft over Vegas. I only drop below 45 from the explosions of 8 B-1s dropping a full load. My specs are in that link. Did you try the steps in the section "solutions for microstutter"?

Agree with the comments above. I absolutely love DCS. However the annoying thing with DCS is its lack of proper scenarios ie. period specific maps AND a/c for post WW2. I'm talking about Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I and II, Angola, Arab/Israeli wars, etc. RIght now we have a frankenstein of maps and a/c and try and 'pretend'. I know this is getting fixed but TBH they should've started with this in mind first then branch out.

eg. what IL2 have done with the Battle of... series (stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban) - period specific maps and aircraft, THEN all dropped into a giant melting pot.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

The regions and their terrains were previously secondary to physics and the accuracy of the birds (which I fully support), but we're now at a point where it's increasing in scope. Exciting times. I can't wait for the Gulf map.

I can't help but think of this interview:

Agree with the comments above. I absolutely love DCS. However the annoying thing with DCS is its lack of proper scenarios ie. period specific maps AND a/c for post WW2. I'm talking about Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I and II, Angola, Arab/Israeli wars, etc. RIght now we have a frankenstein of maps and a/c and try and 'pretend'. I know this is getting fixed but TBH they should've started with this in mind first then branch out.

eg. what IL2 have done with the Battle of... series (stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban) - period specific maps and aircraft, THEN all dropped into a giant melting pot.

I do get where your coming from, as to build a great "game". DCS has and always will be a little different here and is looking at the end game where anything will be possible "The Sim Toy Box" with extremely accurate maps for visual navigation, realistic FM's and systems, way way above any other sim Dev out there in my book.

This all works moving DCS forward with the combined effort on the commercial side and consumer side. This needs to happen the way I see it, it's a nice balance and allows ED to go for it, so we and their contracts now and future contracts will benefit. This is one of the main reason ED builds at this level and direction I believe, it's to show piece to potential commercial clients also. Those "games" only have one income source, ED has many, and can push much further now for the future.

So everything you listed potentially will happen down the track, now that the core is so close to that finished level, little more optimizing (vulkan) and tweaking and redoing of all the aircraft textures:cry:.

Map tools are close I believe too for third parties to create, possibly some of the maps your after?

We are really seeing this future right now in 2.5. Yep lots more to do, we have come along way tho right. Magic!

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Magic!

I agree that DCS with VR is an amazing experience.

Things seem very life sized. I'll never forget when I hopped in a A-10 for the first time, looked back at the left engine and had that 'wow military jets are quite big' feeling that I only used to get at air shows.