Computer Specs

Get something as close as you can to Wags' system.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3729544#post3729544

His "Secondary System" can be considered the current "recommended" configuration, because the RAM and SSD sizes listed as the "official" recommendation are too small and feel like a recommendation from close to 2 years ago before that stuff got cheaper. (relatively) If you do go for an Intel, get a Z series chipset motherboard that matches your processor. You wan't a robust bus and multi channel RAM.

Edited by RustBelt

I think I know roughly what I'm going to get; is there any specific reason to go for SSD over HDD?

The SSD will load the game and maps a bazillion times faster.

Edited by CL30

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, if you are on a tight budget a SATA 2.5" SSD will very significantly faster in general use over and HDD and also much faster loading DCS. Also they are arguably much more reliable. Spinning rust fails with alarming regularity. Well worth the extra $ for an SSD and with a $1000 budget within reach.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a Micro Center ad come thru my email this morning. A 1TB Samsung SSD for $89. May be better deals out there, but it caught my eye.

https://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=867382&utm_source=20191112_eNews_Bestsellers_R5541&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R5541&MccGuid=8f885443-13fc-44ec-9d06-995513d08c85

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you'll get a lot more, and better advice (than mine!) in the PC Hardware section. I am NOT a computer whiz by any means, but I did research a lot to build mine this last winter. Just looking at that, the CPU doesn't seem very fast if it's not over-clockable. I'm not familiar with the chip- there's no "K" designation, so don't think you can OC it. Also, 8GB of RAM is low. Will DCS run on 8? I was thinking it was 16GB min. The GPU is also on the low end of things, but I don't know enough to comment on how it'll run DCS.

Honestly man, I would go to the Hardware forum and have some guys spec out a build for you. You may be able to get a bit more "bang-for-buck" by building yourself instead of buying a pre-built. I'd never attempted it prior to this PC, and it really wasn't that difficult...PLENTY of YouTube vids to learn from.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Edit: For example, here is a $1000 build on PCPartpicker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ktFfrH/great-intel-gamingstreaming-build

Faster CPU (can OC as well), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and 8GB video card.

Edited by CL30

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I know I can run DCS on 8GB of RAM, that's all I've ever been doing, and I can always add more. It may not be perfect, but I can't afford much more, it looks to be pretty good for the price tag from what I can tell, and it's certainly a step up from what I'm using now.

Well, I know I can run DCS on 8GB of RAM, that's all I've ever been doing, and I can always add more. It may not be perfect, but I can't afford much more, it looks to be pretty good for the price tag from what I can tell, and it's certainly a step up from what I'm using now.

There you go then! :thumbup: Did you look at that other build though? In the end, it all comes down to you and what makes you happy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]