Landing in a Crosswind

Weegie

Just wondered if it's just my awfull flying skills or is the Viper harder to land in crosswind situations than other jets?

I can get it down but then once on the runway it tends to flip over I'm talking about 8-10 Knot Crosswind

Going to try the Hornet and see if it's as susceptable, but must have had around 6 attempts so far with much the same result every time............it always ends badly

If it is just me, then any tips or videos showing "how to" would be very welcome

• ED Team

Hi,

I have reported an issue with the viper in cross wind landings, the left or right wheel tends to kick up depending on wind direction.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It feels like the tires are too “sticky” so if you land with a crab instead of the tyre sliding slightly sideways across the runway it instantly grips and because it’s pointing towards the side of the runway it tries to the roll the aircraft.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I believe if you are landing in a crosswind you should straighten out just before touchdown. You don’t want to land with your nose pointing to one side or the other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Ok I obviouslly need more practice as well then I had a 10knot component and was kicking straight just before main wheels touched

Have you watched the 20kts xwnd video? Again, you don't take out the crab before touchdown.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Yeah just watched it

You got it down, which is better than I've achieved, but it did look like it was decidely touch and go. The aircraft didn't seem as side on as I felt like I was getting when trying it in a crosswind with half the velocity.

I was landing at Vaziani, wonder if the altitude makes a difference and the 10 knot crosswind was more or less at 90 degrees to the runway heading.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated, I'll definately give it a try and report back

The funny thing is that the F-15 handles almost exactly the same, with the too stiff landing gear and the strong rebound, quite a few complaints since at least 5 years and still no change. This doesn't look too promising for the F-16 :(

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070