Cold War 1947 - 1991 - Page 265 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 AM   #2641
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by P61 View Post
From my notes so far, make crates not less than 500 Kg to avoid violent swing in choppers. ALSO model of the crate actually matter.
What crates do you suggest for less swinging? Keep in the mind that in the mission Elbrus helicopters will have to fly at very high altitudes while sling loading a crate. So that crate can't be too heavy in that one instance.

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments
You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com
Alpenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #2642
NELLUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmum View Post
21 radar can be temperamental. If you turn it off and then suddenly need it again, it takes forever to warm back up. I flip it to standby during my early startup and don't turn it back off unless I know I'm RTB with no likelihood of a fight.

Ditch the second gun for a countermeasure pod, requires a subtle roll trim (which the Viggen can thankfully perform, lol) and go like that. That way you get the best of both worlds - a gun for dealing with helicopters/finishing people off, and flares to save you from missiles. Two AKANs is overkill and you're right, they're very heavy. I wish they could be mounted on the centreline in place of the X-tank, but it is what it is.

As for the missiles not being good... the 24J isn't great but it sure isn't bad. The biggest problem I've noticed on the receiving end is that a lot of people overestimate the turning ability of the Sidewinders and fire them too close or at far too high an aspect. It's a problem I'm now having too as I adjust back from the R-60. Fire from further out or uncage and pull lead, they should give better results.
I agree with you, the adjustment faze to the new missiles is taking longer than I thought. There is a certain fine line between to close and too far, which one need to get used to. The Flares are a good option as you mentioned, but I rather have that extra gun pod as assurance since they are tricky to aim with in air to air combat. Was a great dogfight yesterday, you did damn well with your 21 turning like that with full tanks..

Last edited by NELLUS; 06-30-2020 at 01:03 PM.
NELLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #2643
Shadow KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonerCat View Post
Hi there
I'd like to bring your attention to an issue regarding the Huey crates in some of the missions on this server
It's almost impossible

If i remember correctly, the weight of the crates was reduced in order to give the hueys better range and speed, and put less strain on their engines, which is good!
However, there is a bug that was overlooked in this change

I'll be using the mission "Prince of Persia" as an example, as that is where I've encountered this issue
The sling loading task for the hueys in that mission is to transport a sling loaded crate from the FARP to Al Dhafra AFB, in order to unlock Mirage 2000 planes. It has the huey fly some 40nm with a crate.

The crates weigh 500lb, which shouldn't be a problem, however, the aforementioned bug affects only light crates
Essentially, what happends to the crate, is it starts swinging out of control in a positive feedback loop, apparently caused by the low weight of the crate
A little roll will cause the crate to go to one side, which in will cause it to swing back. Normally the swing back should not be faster, but somehow with a light crate, that crate will accelerate rapidly, reaching 90 degrees from the bottom in just a few sings

Allow me to demonstrate
I put together a quick mission with a huey at 50% fuel, default rope length of 50 feet, and a crate for it, and recorded how the crate behaves when it's 500lb and 1000lb
Both videos were recorded with the games in 2x speed for the sake of brevity, and minimal stick corrections

This video shows how the crate behaves when it's 500lb
https://youtu.be/-2bpO2uU8EM
You can clearly see it swings way too violently than it should. It's worth noting it gets much worse once the helicopter passes 70-80kt IAS

This comparison video shows the same mission, with the crate now at 1000lb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paDPBO26dw
The crate behaves in a much more predictable and controllable fashion
Even when crossing 100kt IAS, under a helicopter maneuvering far more violently than the one from the 1st video, the crate stays where it should

Again, do keep in mind the videos are both 2x speed. Actual stick deflections were minor adjustments in both videos

I don't know what causes the behavior of the light crates, but it makes it near impossible to sling load, especially over large distances
Increasing the crates to 1000lb weight will remove this problem, while still giving enough range to a huey at 50% fuel to comfortably make it to Al Dhafra (roughly 40nm)

Please fix it, I wanna fly the Mirage
Do you have this reported with a track ?

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #2644
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
Do you have this reported with a track ?
It happens to me in the Mi-8 with even heavier crates that should be steadier.
Got no tracks currently.

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments
You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com
Old 06-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #2645
NELLUS

Speaking of sling loading. The Gazelle was used for sling loading in the old days, any chance for them to help out with cargo work?
NELLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #2646
Shadow KT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenwolf View Post
It happens to me in the Mi-8 with even heavier crates that should be steadier.
Got no tracks currently.
If you can get a track in SP, would be awesome for a report, I mentioned it to NEWY and he said he will check it out

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #2647
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonerCat View Post
Hi there
I'd like to bring your attention to an issue regarding the Huey crates in some of the missions on this server
It's almost impossible

If i remember correctly, the weight of the crates was reduced in order to give the hueys better range and speed, and put less strain on their engines, which is good!
However, there is a bug that was overlooked in this change

I'll be using the mission "Prince of Persia" as an example, as that is where I've encountered this issue
The sling loading task for the hueys in that mission is to transport a sling loaded crate from the FARP to Al Dhafra AFB, in order to unlock Mirage 2000 planes. It has the huey fly some 40nm with a crate.

The crates weigh 500lb, which shouldn't be a problem, however, the aforementioned bug affects only light crates
Essentially, what happends to the crate, is it starts swinging out of control in a positive feedback loop, apparently caused by the low weight of the crate
A little roll will cause the crate to go to one side, which in will cause it to swing back. Normally the swing back should not be faster, but somehow with a light crate, that crate will accelerate rapidly, reaching 90 degrees from the bottom in just a few sings

Allow me to demonstrate
I put together a quick mission with a huey at 50% fuel, default rope length of 50 feet, and a crate for it, and recorded how the crate behaves when it's 500lb and 1000lb
Both videos were recorded with the games in 2x speed for the sake of brevity, and minimal stick corrections

This video shows how the crate behaves when it's 500lb
https://youtu.be/-2bpO2uU8EM
You can clearly see it swings way too violently than it should. It's worth noting it gets much worse once the helicopter passes 70-80kt IAS

This comparison video shows the same mission, with the crate now at 1000lb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8paDPBO26dw
The crate behaves in a much more predictable and controllable fashion
Even when crossing 100kt IAS, under a helicopter maneuvering far more violently than the one from the 1st video, the crate stays where it should

Again, do keep in mind the videos are both 2x speed. Actual stick deflections were minor adjustments in both videos

I don't know what causes the behavior of the light crates, but it makes it near impossible to sling load, especially over large distances
Increasing the crates to 1000lb weight will remove this problem, while still giving enough range to a huey at 50% fuel to comfortably make it to Al Dhafra (roughly 40nm)

Please fix it, I wanna fly the Mirage
If you have a short track replay of the 500lb create behaviour could you send it to me. I will check it out.

thank you
Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, TM Warthog, Jet provost rudder pedals, VIVE Cosmos

BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #2648
ramtsi

Default Looking for a mate to tag along with

Just recently got into dcs, bought the mig21 and now getting into grips with the multiplayer experience.
I'm looking for a wingman to tag along with for an hour or two in the evenings.

Cheers.
ramtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #2649
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtsi View Post
Just recently got into dcs, bought the mig21 and now getting into grips with the multiplayer experience.
I'm looking for a wingman to tag along with for an hour or two in the evenings.

Cheers.
Welcome aboard!
Get on SRS, channel 0 for the MiG-21 and you'll be able to chat with other MiG pilots online.

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #2650
rossmum

I'll be away from home until next week, but if you need any pointers with the 21 I'm happy to help. If you see me on the server give me a shout and we can fly together, maybe do some basic orientation/mock combat stuff behind the lines then go on a patrol, like I used to do for when my friends got into Rise of Flight