Aim-7M Lost Cue

KittyVCAW-1

So was practicing BVR tactics againg Mig-29's this morning using Aim-7. Most of the shots I fired gave me a "LOST" cue displayed on the hud after 4-5 seconds even though I had the steering dot inside the circle and still had my STT track locked up on the radar. What does "Lost" mean, what causes it, how do I keep it from happening? Yes I know the AMRAAM is better at BVR so please don't just say use the AMRAAM. Thanks again.

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

It should mean that the computer has calculated, although in this most likely just based off a chart, that the missile will not have enough energy to hit the target.

ok yeah makes sense as these were pretty long range shots attempting to make them go defensive. It defo isn't the radar losing track as it was still boxed up and I had L&S from the STT trackfile. Thank you.

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

Anyone else feel like a Red Squadron X-Wing pilot running down the Death Star canyon when they use an Aim-7? "Stay on target.....stay on target...". Waiting for an Aim-7 to reach the target is the longest 10-20 seconds of my life every time.

That is why you crank the plane when you fire a Fox1. That means you turn away from the target at about 45 - 50 º to keep the plane in the radar cone but not going straight forward.

Watch out for red Fox 1 though, they have longer reach and if he does the same cranking and does it right, he will hit you before you can hit him, forcing you to go defensive and breaking lock.

That being said, with the AMRAAM you should also stay on target at least till the missile goes pitbull (activates its own radar) so the difference is not that big.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]