AB detent option?

Donut

Yes to all of the above.

Wow, okay...so how does this work in DCS? Is it even possible to have this level of control? Also, why is it even necessary and/or in what situations would you have to use the different afterburner stages?

On a sidenote ...who moved this to the "wishlist" section and why? In the second post of this thread, someone who I assumed was ED staff stated that the AB detent special option would be included....this isn't a "wish," it's a discussion about an intended and confirmed feature.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Wow, okay...so how does this work in DCS? Is it even possible to have this level of control? Also, why is it even necessary and/or in what situations would you have to use the different afterburner stages?

On a sidenote ...who moved this to the "wishlist" section and why? In the second post of this thread, someone who I assumed was ED staff stated that the AB detent special option would be included....this isn't a "wish," it's a discussion about an intended and confirmed feature.

I believe it is for meeting an attack profile. for example in the Viggen some of the weapons should be dropped between .8 - .9 mach, and you would use AB1/2 to get there and hold that speed when loaded up. Full AB/3 and you will go super sonic and cant release, no AB and you cant even hit .8 mach

Of course its possible in DCS, with the Warthog throttle there is a good couple of inches of travel (measured from the top of the throttle) between the physical AB gate and max burner, with a realistically proportioned F-16 throttle it would be even further, in the area of 4-5 inches.

As far as how its used, if I'm leading a formation takeoff I will often do a min or mid burner takeoff so that my wingman has a bit of extra performance headroom to stay in position. Same if I'm leading a formation and want to do a burner climb or accelerate, I wont use full burner so that the people on my wing have a performance excess required to be able to stay in position. Intermediate burner positions can also be useful if you're looking for a certain speed for a weapon release profile as mentioned above. If for runway length reasons a mid burner takeoff might be an issue (heavy jet, short runway etc) I'll usually choose max burner and do a short interval streamed takeoff rather then proper formation.

Also i've found that in the hornet min burner gives you quite a good performance increase while also using a good chunk less fuel then max burner, I mean it still drinks gas but its not quite as bad. Sometimes can be useful when you want to GTFO but are fuel critical and just want to use a bit of burner to accelerate before coming back to dry power.

Generally anything relating to requested features - confirmed or not - gets moved to the wish list section of the forum, its the same for the F-18, nothing to worry about.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The GE-F110s have variable spray bars iirc. There are no "AB zones", just min/mid/max augmentation based on throttle position e.g. just through the detent/midway between detent & stop/against the throttle stop. Anything finer would be defined by the fuel flow gauge alone.

Personal preference (in another sim a long time ago) was for section/formation takeoff on full AB (unless Cat1), gear up when appropriate, then set climb angle to maintain 300kts in MIL until rejoin. Once all chicks are saddled Lead sets smash/vector/formation... sorted!

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

All good info above, cheers. I think this AB detent button meaning all or nothing AB would be a no-go for me, as I regularly use varying levels of AB in the Tomcat from min AB for climbing/accel to a quick burst of max AB to accel in a DF then easing away from full but still maintaining AB. Pretty sure I won't have a spare button for it anyway.

But hey I am open to new things so will try it out when the Viper releases. I guess a quick burst of full AB=prolonged min AB anyway in terms of fuel usage & accel.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So what is a good/better alternative than assigning a button as a toggle for the afterburner detent?

I have a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle without a physical detent.

Yeah I have the same throttle - currently I use the 'velcro mod' where you stick a couple of pieces of the fluffy pile velcro on each inside edge of the track at the end. Position the AFT edge of the velcro to match MIL position. Then when you push forward with medium pressure the throttle stops with the extra resistance of the velcro at MIL, then you just keep pushing with more force into the AB zone, with the extra resistance allowing for more precise positioning for AB zones. Or you can just jam it hard forward straight from idle into full AB. Obviously the MIL position might be different for different aircraft - so DCS really needs the 'Set AB Detent Position' option from Falcon 4.0!

Certainly not ideal but does the trick. Will hold me over till the VKB throttle is released! :thumbup:

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I have the same throttle - currently I use the 'velcro mod' where you stick a couple of pieces of the fluffy pile velcro on each inside edge of the track at the end. Position the AFT edge of the velcro to match MIL position. Then when you push forward with medium pressure the throttle stops with the extra resistance of the velcro at MIL, then you just keep pushing with more force into the AB zone, with the extra resistance allowing for more precise positioning for AB zones. Or you can just jam it hard forward straight from idle into full AB. Obviously the MIL position might be different for different aircraft - so DCS really needs the 'Set AB Detent Position' option from Falcon 4.0!

Certainly not ideal but does the trick. Will hold me over till the VKB throttle is released! :thumbup:

Interesting! I will have to try this out!

Was it difficult to place the velcro at the correct position to match MIL power? What is the exact procedure you used for doing this? Do you find it to be precise...able to hit 100% at the velcro stop? Did you have to change the throttle curve at all? Thanks!

If this works, I may not need to worry about the AB detent special option.

Yes, you have to drop the throttle back to change between MIL and AB. It is less than ideal but so is not having a physical detent on the throttle. I find that it works well and is easy to get used to. Having to drop the throttle back also provides a physical cue to let me know that I am changing between MIL and AB.

Different levels of AB? Which aircraft have that?

I find that having the AB position being set at a particular throttle range lacks enough feedback and requires close monitoring of the FF and RPM gauges to let you know if you are in AB or full MIL power.

You know what else works well, extremely well, having an audible “click”, when crossing into AB. Think Heat Bluer’s F-14B. I took out my detent, because I also use my set up to fly the Huey. In the Tomcat I always know when I cross between mil power and AB.

You know what else works well, extremely well, having an audible “click”, when crossing into AB. Think Heat Bluer’s F-14B. I took out my detent, because I also use my set up to fly the Huey. In the Tomcat I always know when I cross between mil power and AB.

The sound effects and audible click does work well in the Tomcat; however, the general consensus is that it is unrealistic. I have never sat in a real fighter plane and put a helmet on, so I don't know what it really sounds like, but from those on the forums who have, the Hornet's internal sounds are realistic and the Tomcat's are not.

I would rather have realism and simulate what it really sounds like in the cockpit with helmet on.

I'm working on a mechanical 3D printed solution for the Cougar AB detent. If it works...and I'm pretty sure it will...it'll be available on Shapeways. I'm going for a positive transition from Off to Idle, a positive "Stop" at Mil power, then a push through from Mil into AB.

I'm waiting on my usb conversion to arrive Monday so I can start testing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

The sound effects and audible click does work well in the Tomcat; however, the general consensus is that it is unrealistic. I have never sat in a real fighter plane and put a helmet on, so I don't know what it really sounds like, but from those on the forums who have, the Hornet's internal sounds are realistic and the Tomcat's are not.

I would rather have realism and simulate what it really sounds like in the cockpit with helmet on.

I would like an option. Since we can not feel all the additional feedback the pilot gets with his other senses, having that feedback portrayed in a sense we can use is very helpful. For example, a lot of aircraft you can hardly hear it when AB is engaged and you are airborne IRL, but that does not mean the pilot can not instantly tell from the physical feedback that the AB is on.

Of course everyone can look at gauges and what not, but I prefer a sense based feedback for a lot of the stuff you might otherwise be able to detect with zero difficulty if you were actually flying the aircraft.

IRL you would "feel" the clicking trough the touch sense, something that cannot be achieved in a simulator (unless you have the actual hardware detent that is).

The "click" workaround is good enough IMO. Those complaining it isn't realistic should complain more about the fact that you don't get fatigued after a prolonged dogfighting session, the airframes don't wear out, there's no random failures (real ones, not those we have in the ME) and so on, rather than complaining for a little "trick" that makes a big quality of life improvement

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

FYI, I've been using the TM Cougar throttle, and the throttle detents match up nicely with idle and AB in the game.

Thanks

Any insider news about Thrustmaster starting production of the Cougar throttle again?

Used Cougars are impossible to come by, especially with USB.

FYI, I've been using the TM Cougar throttle, and the throttle detents match up nicely with idle and AB in the game.

Thanks

Has there been any consideration to add a “set AB position” functionality in the axis bind screen? As in, the module knows what input level will kick in the AB and pushing the button will simply apply a custom curve to the axis with a kink in it such that the current axis position matches that input level… or some such.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Thanks

Lol :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another F-16 simulator..... has a "Set AB detent" in the options menu. Then we can position the throttle (axis) at desired position and click "Set AB detent".

So, if I set my detent at...say 80% of my full throttle axis range (e.g. where my throttle physical detent acually are). The axis range between 81-100% is afterburner stages. Problem solved. (same for idle detent)

Edited by Thacyoon

Another F-16 simulator..... has a "Set AB detent" in the options menu. Then we can position the throttle (axis) at desired position and click "Set AB detent".

So, if I set my detent at...say 80% of my full throttle axis range (e.g. where my throttle physical detent acually are). The axis range between 81-100% is afterburner stages. Problem solved. (same for idle detent)

Yeah thats would be the easiest way of doing it. You can also just edit the custom movement curve on the throttle. Its a bit more faff but works just as well in the end.

7ULktcs.jpg

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yeah thats would be the easiest way of doing it. You can also just edit the custom movement curve on the throttle. Its a bit more faff but works just as well in the end.

Yep. That's how I do it at the moment as well.

A simple button to set the AB detent point would be perfect and negate doing the curves yourself, but it also works. (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182299)

some type of solution like this is what I would prefer too, that way I can set the AB to the physical detent of my warthog HOTAS and then from AB to idle would automatically be set as a linear axis.

Another more general sim does this as well for Reversers, Beta, Idle Cutoff, and Reheats. But I know Strong UI is actually not a trivial thing for a team focused on a totally diffrent aspect of a sim, so It is what it is.