Air to air refueling...

Rhinozherous

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant be any worse than the Harrier...

We don't have a helicopter with a refueling probe yet... dealwithit.png

In DCS is even a bit "simpler" as the basket somewhat "snaps" on the probe whereas IRL you either hit or miss (but you have a few different "cues" you can't really simulate in DCS, i.e. your body feeling the plane)

Generally it's probably a lot easier in RL because the sim lacks both FOV (even in VR) and more importantly, The Holy Butt Meter Of Awesome.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I started DCS with the Hornet Release and was flying it exclusively since then, so I only know the Probe and Droge system.

A couple weeks ago I started flying the F15c and one of the first things I did, was trying out the Boom refueling system. In my experience it is really easy to learn, since the lights on the tanker show you exactly where you are supposed to be.

Its basically an easier version of formation flying, since you not only see the other plane, but you have another visual cue that aids you in the process.

• ED Team
I think that it might be very challenging. But that's the beauty.

It's actually easier to refuel then the A-10, precisely because you have the lights as a reference instead of the boom and the aircraft silhouette, they're much more precise in guiding you. That+ the FCS - F-16 goes exactly where you point it.

Haven't use the boom in DCS for years - Does the boom operator in DCS actually fly the boom to the receptacle? Also will it 'latch' into the Viper receptacle and pretty much stay attached until released by the pilot, providing they stay reasonably in position ofc.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haven't use the boom in DCS for years - Does the boom operator in DCS actually fly the boom to the receptacle? Also will it 'latch' into the Viper receptacle and pretty much stay attached until released by the pilot, providing they stay reasonably in position ofc.

Yes and yes

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

The Viper also has a refuelling control rates mode which is activated by opening the refuel door which should help to reduce the twitchiness that some aircraft exhibit on the tanker.

Is that "refueling control-rates mode" related to auto-trim, adjusting with fuel load? That'd be awesome

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Is that "refueling control-rates mode" related to auto-trim, adjusting with fuel load? That'd be awesome

Well the F-16 does that anyway. The refuelling rates is more a softened control response to make precise control easier. Similar to what to does with the gear down.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Well the F-16 does that anyway. The refuelling rates is more a softened control response to make precise control easier. Similar to what to does with the gear down.

Do you guys think this will be simulated? Hope so.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

There is no auto trim and no refueling rates in the real aircraft. Opening the IFR door switches to takeoff/landing gains, the FLCS pitch axis operates as a pitch rate command system until 10 degrees AOA and a blended pitch rate and AOA command system above 10 degrees AOA. Pitch trim in takeoff/landing gains behaves just like the stick. In takeoff/landing gains, maximum roll rate is fixed at approximately one-half the maximum roll rate available in cruise gains, regardless of AOA, airspeed, or horizontal tail deflection.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Does IFR officially stand for BOTH "instrumental flight rules" AND "in-flight refueling" ? Wouldn't 1 abbreviation for 2 meanings cause misunderstandings?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Does IFR officially stand for BOTH "instrumental flight rules" AND "in-flight refueling" ? Wouldn't 1 abbreviation for 2 meanings cause misunderstandings?

There are quite a few shared acronyms in aviation - you just 'decode' it depending on the context it is used in.

i.e you don't really fly in In-Flight Refuelling meteorological conditions, or latch open your Instrument Flight Rules door to AAR. :thumbup:

Generally all aviation manuals such as -1 etc. have an Abbreviations, Acronyms and Designations list at the front detailing the specific acronyms used in that manual.

Yes - there are far too many TLA's in aviation lol. (Three Letter Abbreviation/Acronym).

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There need to be FLA's to disambiguate the TLAs.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

There is no auto trim and no refueling rates in the real aircraft. Opening the IFR door switches to takeoff/landing gains, the FLCS pitch axis operates as a pitch rate command system until 10 degrees AOA and a blended pitch rate and AOA command system above 10 degrees AOA. Pitch trim in takeoff/landing gains behaves just like the stick. In takeoff/landing gains, maximum roll rate is fixed at approximately one-half the maximum roll rate available in cruise gains, regardless of AOA, airspeed, or horizontal tail deflection.

Hi, for the T.O. gains with IFR door open, I notice there is a 400 knots limit in the Greece blk 50's manual. But it (400 knots limit) does not exist in USAF F-16A manual.

Is this should be modeled in the DCS F-16C?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Depends on the Flight Control Computer modeled and its software. AFAIK, most Digital Flight Control Computer (DFLCC, block 40 and above) have several speed limits for different things.

To whom it may concern,

I do not think neither of this example would be good for the USAF F-16C circa 2007 after CCIP, for conversation sake.

Looking around USAF F-16C block 40/42 after CCIP circa 2011

Lading gear down, atl flaps to extend below 400 knot and IFR door open below 400 knot will maintain Takeoff/landing gains. But keep in mind Flaps extended above 240 will start going up and would be fully retracted by 370 knots. This could incur damage to the flaps, flap Integrated Servo Actuator (ISA) or the flap supports. Also IFR door open or in transition close to or above 400 knot can damage the door hydraulic actuator or mechanism.

Also, using HAF F-16C block 50 circa 2003 DFLCC as an example will give a bad base to start with. HAF DFLCC has different Cat I and Cat III limits and looks for different parameter to limit Roll and Yaw. It has TFR which USAF F-16C block 50 does not have. It uses different computers for different thing. Central Air Data Computer (CADC), the Pneumatic Sensor Assembly (PSA) are different. Not sure if the Modular Mission Computer (MMC) in USAF have additional functionality on the Flight control compared to the HAF F-16 with General Avionics Computer (GAC). I do not know if HAF F-16C on that time period have a CARA which also sends info to the DFLCC.

To whom it may concern,

Hi, for the T.O. gains with IFR door open, I notice there is a 400 knots limit in the Greece blk 50's manual. But it (400 knots limit) does not exist in USAF F-16A manual.

Is this should be modeled in the DCS F-16C?

It does exist in the 16CM-1 which covers the 2007 CCIP Block 50.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

But keep in mind Flaps extended above 240 will start going up and would be fully retracted by 370 knots. This could incur damage to the flaps, flap Integrated Servo Actuator (ISA) or the flap supports.

Since the flaps retract automatically, how can there be any damage, since a 'classic' flap overspeed doesn't occur?

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

They don't retract automatically, the air force pushes them up.

To whom it may concern,