B-17 Flying Fortress/Avro Lancaster

GuardDog

What I really will enjoy, is flying with a group of friends (up to 10 guys), inside a B-17, watching out for enemy fighters to do a mission. Will this ever be made, or thought of? Is that to much? To complicated? One of my dreams for MP.

Anyone heard of Barrel bombing on Dams using Avro Lancaster. That will be some challenging simulation.

Edited by GuardDog

Unfortunately I don't think ED have any plans to create any bomber, if you watch the video interview with Simon and the Grim Reavers they "discuss" (you will see, the Grim Reapers interviewer forces his opinion throughout the video unfortunately). Think the max we can expect to have is a two seater. :cry:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=282292

There is a lot of information to be heard if you can stick it, I couldn't personally...fortunately Eldur has captured everything in handy bullet points.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4440795&postcount=26

Silver dragon has made it easier to read

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4441093&postcount=1743

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

What I really will enjoy, is flying with a group of friends (up to 10 guys), inside a B-17, watching out for enemy fighters to do a mission. Will this ever be made, or thought of? Is that to much? To complicated? One of my dreams for MP.

Anyone heard of Barrel bombing on Dams using Avro Lancaster. That will be some challenging simulation.

I doubt ED will ever do that.. MicroProse is already working on it..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

As referenced above, ED has publicly said they have zero interest in making flyable, long haul aircraft like transports and bombers.

The furthest they are willing to go is a fighter bomber like the Mosquito that is in the works.

I don't know if the light/medium bombers like the Ju88 and He111 fall into that category or not. Not technically IRL but they were shorter range aircraft, probably same level of complexity in DCS if you take some "Jester" liberties for the gunners and made it a two man crew ship like existing trainers.

Btw, is the Mossie going to be set up this way with respect to pilot and co-pilot seats being available to players? Anyone know?

That said, we could really use some AI Lancs, Wellies, B24s, Halifax, Sunderlands, Stirlings, FW200, DC3, He111, Ju52, etc. Stuff to liven up the diversity of the Normandy and Channel maps.

$0.02

Btw, is the Mossie going to be set up this way with respect to pilot and co-pilot seats being available to players? Anyone know?
It's said it'll be multicrew. I don't know though what the navigator position will be able to do with regards to plane's management.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

It's said it'll be multicrew. I don't know though what the navigator position will be able to do with regards to plane's management.

S!

The navigator will have full access to the mini-bar and the in-flight entertainment system.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

The navigator will have full access to the mini-bar and the in-flight entertainment system.
As long as he manages the ashtray and minibar, or better a full bar, that's more than enough :D .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 1 month later...

I would love to see the development of a heavy bomber. Too bad ED is not interested. I still have a working B-17 app developed by Microprose in what - 2003 on an old Windows AT computer. One of my favorite programs. It let you jump from one station to another. I thought it did a fairly decent job with the Norton Bomb site. Even let you set up missions in the briefing room.

I also remember a documentary about the British going after the dams in the Ruhr Valley. As I remember they dropped these large round bombs from a very low altitude into the reservoir so they would skip into the dam. The AAA was horrendous along the shore of the reservoir.

ruhr