DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

5 minutes ago, JG11Preusse said:

Hi Baldrick auto rudder, takeoff assistand is alltime off for all modules, where you can set it up.

Will check "game flight mode" (i have the german version) later, but what this setting means ? 

Maybe its not "on" here, because i read so many "how to´s" and youtube tutorials about the sttings, that it is maybe not checked. I will see, i will check it later today.

Chuck´s Guides are also very helpfull ( Chuck's Guides (chucksguides.com) )

Einstellungen -> Spiel -> Arkademodus. Maus über dem Kästchen parkieren und eine Beschreibung erscheint.

Edited by razo+r

vor 1 Minute schrieb razo+r:

Einstellungen -> Spiel -> Arkademodus. Maus über dem Kästchen parkieren und eine Beschreibung erscheint.

Danke dir .... Arkademodus ist bei mir aus. Wäre auch eine Schande DCS zu nutzen im Arkademodus, wo es so etwas tolles schon gibt für Meschen, die sich für dieses Genre interessieren 🙂

The Spitfire (and the Mig-21) has pretty much the same braking system, and my first attempts at taxiing or even landing, using a pedal for the brake axis, were simply disastrous. In the end I managed somehow most of the time, but it's totally counterintuitive. Now I have a Virpil stick with an analogue brake lever and it still feels strange (because I fly the Spit and the Mossie rarely), but it's no problem. If you want to fly any of these birds and have fun, I can only recommend you get a joystick with an analogue brake lever.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

9 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

The Spitfire (and the Mig-21) has pretty much the same braking system, and my first attempts at taxiing or even landing, using a pedal for the brake axis, were simply disastrous. In the end I managed somehow most of the time, but it's totally counterintuitive. Now I have a Virpil stick with an analogue brake lever and it still feels strange (because I fly the Spit and the Mossie rarely), but it's no problem. If you want to fly any of these birds and have fun, I can only recommend you get a joystick with an analogue brake lever.

The Spit gives you a lot more low speed rudder authority with its propwash, so you only really need differential braking when taxiing and although less fun it is manageable with a tap tap digital brake.

The Mossie is the only DCS aircraft with rudder connected differential braking that can need the brakes to steer during take off and landing in my experience which adds to the challenge if you don't have an analogue brake.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

vor 44 Minuten schrieb LeCuvier:

Hu LeCuvier .... taxiing is not my problem, it works very well after i put the x/y axis from my pedals to the "brake setting w" . my problem is, that i can not bring up this bird from the runway most times and i have no idea why

7 minutes ago, JG11Preusse said:

Hu LeCuvier .... taxiing is not my problem, it works very well after i put the x/y axis from my pedals to the "brake setting w" . my problem is, that i can not bring up this bird from the runway most times and i have no idea why

Do a short example-mission and attach the track here so we can tell you what exactly you are missing. 

But generally, there would be two main things that I'd consider are common mistake.

1) Don't force her up. Forcing a warbird to fly will most often lead to a stall and crash.

2) Be active with the corrections. Do them as soon as possible, not after you are already going wildly off course.

But again, we can tell you more precisly if you attach a track.

3 hours ago, LeCuvier said:

The Spitfire (and the Mig-21) has pretty much the same braking system, and my first attempts at taxiing or even landing, using a pedal for the brake axis, were simply disastrous. In the end I managed somehow most of the time, but it's totally counterintuitive.
…..

It is counterintuitive if you try too hard. The way takeoff steering works is the following:

If you want to veer to the left/right you do it with the rudder the same as any other plane - only if you get no response from full rudder or not enough response, tap the brake a little to “help” the rudder.

The way this plays out during takeoff is that for the first few seconds of the run you try to steer normally (rudder up to full), get little to no response and add a little brake power. After a few seconds you start to get a response from the rudder without the need to tap the brakes. From here util lifting the tail and lift off it is just rudder as normal.

Most common mistake (I suspect) is that people over think this system and try to steer by pressing the brakes and then applying rudder or trying to do both at the same time - this makes you lose speed, sometimes jump and bang the tail, and then if the speed is high over-steer into a ground loop. The correct way is rudder first, then add brakes.

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Hi all .. solved may starting problems, now i can takeoff 20 times safe out of 20 tries.

I do it now a different way and not what all these tutorials at youtube, etc. showed me.

I dont hold the stick back to lock the Tailwheel, i keep it neutral.

I dont push both thrust levers from my warthog hotas carefully forward an correct direction with wheelbrakes and/or rudder, i just bring the thrust levers both fully forward and then i mabye sometimes have to correct a bit with the rudder.

The funny thing is, this hint came from a good old friend from canada and he is a retired tank commander 🙂

Edited by JG11Preusse
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

The new chassis is very interesting and cool, but the really necessary thing for gameplay is the implementation of a bomber modification with a bombardier position and a sight. In a network game, this will allow the Mosquito to carry out attacks and not be easy prey for fighters - the altitude during horizontal bombing makes it possible to escape pursuit - as far as I know, the original idea was a high-speed bomber. This is not to mention the interest of the bombing process itself, and the depth of implementation of the ED sight. The modification could be sold as a separate module - I would buy it with pleasure (at the same time, you can give a discount to the owners of the current Mosquito modification). Bomber will make online play much more interesting for everyone.

Edited by -Slayer-
  • Like 1

Anyone else finding the cockpit is unbelievably small in VR? I've not had this issue with any other DCS modules. just bought the Mossie and P-47D - the Jug looks fine, but the Mossie is very small. If I were actually sat as displayed in VR, my shoulder would stick out the side of the cockpit!

The wings and engine do look pretty small, too - having flown Mossies in other sims so having a point of comparison as well.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

18 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Anyone else finding the cockpit is unbelievably small in VR? I've not had this issue with any other DCS modules. just bought the Mossie and P-47D - the Jug looks fine, but the Mossie is very small. If I were actually sat as displayed in VR, my shoulder would stick out the side of the cockpit!

The wings and engine do look pretty small, too - having flown Mossies in other sims so having a point of comparison as well.

I didn’t try VR Mossie in other sims, let alone the real thing, but the Mosquito cockpit really was small for a tandem seats arrangement - for example, the pilot should have no difficulty reaching the switches on the right side panel. Unlike regular tandem, there are no instruments and controls between the seats, and the seats are slightly staggered so the navigator’s left shoulder could be behind the pilot’s right and thus squeeze them together a bit more. 

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

On 1/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, JG11Preusse said:

Hi all .. solved may starting problems, now i can takeoff 20 times safe out of 20 tries.

i just bring the thrust levers both fully forward and then i mabye sometimes have to correct a bit with the rudder.

Glad to read you found a way, it’s difficult to get the hang of as well as to explain. It took me a while to get away safely, I started many wood-fires on short airfields myself. Still do, though it’s usually on account of me bombing myself or being outclassed by a fighter. Loads of fun. Practice, practice, practice. I don’t usually hang about once I’m rolling either. I throttle up to 3,000 rapidly, usually a couple of flicks with the rudder and brake if I have to. Getting your trim right helps a lot and getting the gear in asap. For a long time I was taking off without any flaps but I generally do now, about 10-15deg.

I wish we could have a bombsight too, and a quicker marque. I was expecting to be zipping about in the Mossie. The perspective in the cockpit seems ok to me. I can’t comment on VR though. Well, I can, but I’d be making up guesses as I don’t have VR. 😁 Looks ok in pancake world. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Bozon said:

I didn’t try VR Mossie in other sims, let alone the real thing, but the Mosquito cockpit really was small for a tandem seats arrangement - for example, the pilot should have no difficulty reaching the switches on the right side panel. Unlike regular tandem, there are no instruments and controls between the seats, and the seats are slightly staggered so the navigator’s left shoulder could be behind the pilot’s right and thus squeeze them together a bit more. 

Not that small that my shoulder would stick through the cockpit wall though! Seriously, I have to lean right over to the right to even see anything on the left wall, let alone try and operate it.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

This might help.

I am using an old Rift S VR headset and have no problems with looking at stuff on the left wall  of the cockpit.

Screen_231211_082114.png

The default VR viewpoint is often not satisfactory but it can easily be adjusted using the  RCTL + RSHFT + Number keys.

I do it by look down at the seat and adjust  left/right/forward/back until it looks like my bum would be in the correct position'

Screen_231211_082104.png

Then look ahead and adjust up/down to set the windscreen wiper on the horizon for a handy 3-point attitude reference for landing.

Screen_231211_081847.png

Use Voice Attack to avoid the pain of trying to press keys when in VR. Here is the profile I use to adjust the position and sensitivity. The sensitivity sometimes need to be changed if DCS is working hard doing lots of other things at the time. The verbal command "Move Seat ...."is also completely incorrect  as it has nothing to do with the seat but only the viewpoint.

Viewpoint adjust.vap

Edited by Terry Dactil