DCS WWII Map Discussion

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, early BoB fighters where already confirmed by ED but probably in a very distant time frame. As for the new Channel map, it is a mix of 1944 airfields (England) and earlier aerodromes (France). So the time scale of the map is somewhat uncertain...

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

It is very, very unlikely that you will have the option to choose early war/late war presets. It has not been announced as a feature (As opposed to Marianas, where it IS announced as a feature) and have never been done on other maps. You will in all likelyhood just accept the current airfield layout (Whith hopefully more airfields down the line *cough* Biggin Hill *cough*).

It is very, very unlikely that you will have the option to choose early war/late war presets. It has not been announced as a feature (As opposed to Marianas, where it IS announced as a feature) and have never been done on other maps. You will in all likelyhood just accept the current airfield layout (Whith hopefully more airfields down the line *cough* Biggin Hill *cough*).

The map layout i can live with. It's early access so likely to change anyway?. I'm more interested in the early plane set.

Everyone hears Channel map and automatically think Battle of Britain. This part of the world has been there for a while. Airplanes flew over this area from the first day of the war to the last. As a matter of fact, you can actually fly your jets over this map because England, the Channel, France....etc, are still there.

Frankly, I think that the Battle of Britain has been done to death!

Everyone hears Channel map and automatically think Battle of Britain. This part of the world has been there for a while. Airplanes flew over this area from the first day of the war to the last. As a matter of fact, you can actually fly your jets over this map because England, the Channel, France....etc, are still there.

yes.

I think that the Battle of Britain has been done to death!
That's your feeling, but mine is the opposite TBH. It's been done before? Yes. It's been properly done till now? The ones I can think of were either too old, not very good, not simulators, or even complete :huh: . It would not be done to death as you say until a proper accurate simulator do it right and in full deserved extent it should.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

That's your feeling, but mine is the opposite TBH. It's been done before? Yes. It's been properly done till now? The ones I can think of were either too old, not very good, not simulators, or even complete :huh: . It would not be done to death as you say until a proper accurate simulator do it right and in full deserved extent it should.

S!

I agree, I would love BOB

I wouldn't agree with this either, there is one other really good Battle of Britain sim I can think of out there that turned into a really good sim eventually. But has no VR support and I wouldn't hold my breath on it getting VR support in the future. A DCS BOB would be the future for this historic event to be simulated to its potential.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I wouldn't agree with this either, there is one other really good Battle of Britain sim I can think of out there that turned into a really good sim eventually. But has no VR support and I wouldn't hold my breath on it getting VR support in the future. A DCS BOB would be the future for this historic event to be simulated to its potential.

+1 in spades

Yesterday, I flew my Spit into Hawkinge and on touchdown said: "We're home!" .

I've waited so long for an updated Channel map with airfields that I know from a previous sim. I was sold immediately when I saw what ED have done.

I would like to see more airfields upcoming like Kenley and Biggin Hill and add in Ramsgate grass and Canterbury grass. Sheerness had a great airfield.

I feel right at home here on the channel map.

So far, Kudos to the map team and I suspect that future plans are in place.

Cats . . .

Edited by Catseye

"Yesterday, I flew my Spit into Hawkenge and on touchdown said: "We're home!" ."

Can't wait to get it. I picked up the Jug, but my simming money is sparse. Hopping across the Channel on a fighter sweep, and home for tea. That's what I want. I don't need the BoB.

Besides, there's no way it's happening in my lifetime. It took five years for the P-47. And the next one is the Mossie. So figure, what, fifteen or so before a BoB planeset is done?

Maybe some enterprising young modder will do a Mk1 based on the Spit we have. I think that's the only way you're going to see it.

In six years since dcs took over from the RRG debacle we’ve seen 6 detailed aircraft released if you include the P-51/25 with the new cockpit textures, two WW2 maps and a WW2 assets pack, granted I would have liked more a.i aircraft assets added to this by now but DCS WW2 is gathering pace. I think a hell of a lot could be achieved with it within the next 6 years. The team has expanded over the years.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I'd just like to thank the team for their efforts on this. We did a quick recce this morning and the coast line, cliffs and bases look superb. Would be nice for one or two landmarks in London but they are by no means essential as the fighting will largely be done over water or northern France / Belgium.

• 2 weeks later...