DCS: Me 262 Discussion (Development on hold currently)

NineLine

Actually I remember an interview with a 262 pilot where he spoke about how he was amazed at the maintenance infrastructure they had setup for the Jumo Engines. Of course they were well aware of the low MTBI for the engines so a number of engines were distributed all over the country, in workshops, garages etc. Apparently they weren't so difficult to work on and most mechanics, or repairmen could get the job done. Anyway this pilot told a story about needing an engine changed so he talked to the maintenance people, and they looked in some sort of primitive database system to see where the nearest one was and then hopped in a truck to go get one from some village, brought it back and swapped it out.

http://video.flyingheritage.com/v/117071850/lieutenant-jorg-czypionka.htm

Edit: engine change story at about 1:14, talks about distributing engines at about 1 hour.

Edited by DefaultFace
  • Like 1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

When you quote someone to appear more intelligent than you actually are, you have to know the whole context from which that quotation is taken from. "As Albert Einstein once said to me: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.” But what is much more widespread than the actual stupidity is the playing stupid, turning off your ear, not listening, not seeing." Gestalt Therapy Verbatim by Frederick S. Perls. So, as you can see, you fall into your own trap, as you clearly cannot understand what ergonomics is and what it implies.
:megalol::megalol::megalol:

ROFL. When you try to judge the intelligence, please: It is good to start by not being faster in writing than reading and understanding. I am not sure whether you are at least aware, that many quotes became part of the cultural part of the language - that means they are not inevitably still complete and within original context. I am now pretty sure that you even missed the fact that this quote was used as a sort of a joke - and you missed the meaning. Sorry, next time I will add explanation.

As well as I am pretty sure that when it comes to ergonomics, working space, outside view, dead angles, noise, vibrations and other adverse effects are part of the problem and its solution.

Eric Brown is not the god almighty but it doesn't seem that he universally praised german cockpits. Btw. - I've made a quick look at him and Me-262 - he cites small cockpit to make it demanding job to perform some procedures i.e during starting of the engines.

Actually I remember an interview with a 262 pilot where he spoke about how he was amazed at the maintenance infrastructure they had setup for the Jumo Engines. Of course they were well aware of the low MTBI for the engines so a number of engines were distributed all over the country, in workshops, garages etc. Apparently they weren't so difficult to work on and most mechanics, or repairmen could get the job done. Anyway this pilot told a story about needing an engine changed so he talked to the maintenance people, and they looked in some sort of primitive database system to see where the nearest one was and then hopped in a truck to go get one from some village, brought it back and swapped it out.

http://video.flyingheritage.com/v/117071850/lieutenant-jorg-czypionka.htm

Edit: engine change story at about 1:14, talks about distributing engines at about 1 hour.

Wow, great interview. Thanks for sharing :)

• Like 2

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

-well, first production Meteors were finished some time before Me-262

No. And also Me-262 was more advanced in comparison and saw way more service during WW2.

First flight

Me-262: 18. July 1942

Meteor: 5. March 1943

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

• 1 month later...
That would be rather Meteor - but it doesn't have potential to be such a bestseller.

I just wonder how is anyone going to implement that 10-hour service interval for the engines.

Well, after the war, those engines were found to be usable only for 4 hours of flight, than they required overhaul of the turbines.

:smartass:

The 262 was the first operational jet fighter .I honestly don't know what the meteor was.

Even after the war the Meter suffered from serious structure problems and failures .

Also the cannons jammed , harmony of control problems , compressibility problems , until it received better engines after the war ended it was also underpowered .

There's more but i don't have the time .

The problem is some western historians have a chip on the shoulder and cherry pick some issue with the german ,russian etc planes , tanks of other nations to artificially inflate how good their equipment was .

So let's compare engines:

Publication:

Commercial Aviation in the Jet Era and the Systems that Make it Possible

By Thomas Filburn

Jumo engine 10 hours lifespan (that's also what i know for early variants )

Derwent engine life 25 hours

Publication

Mechanics of Flight

De Warren F. Phillips

Jumo engine life 25 hours (i've heart but can't confirm it was later improved to 50 hours)

Also the 262's engines according to Bob Strobel are easy to change .

Meteor's not so much.

PS:

Reliability alone means nothing .What matters is in economic terms utility (or in combat terms efficiency).

For example the Sherman tank was more reliable than the Pershing tank in Korea but even so the Pershing was 4 times more efficient in dealing with enemy tanks and 3.5 times better overall.

I also could write a lot about Sherman reliability problems .But like i said people aren't really interested in facts but more about pushing their agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we're already flying unhistorically conditioned k-4s and that's not an issue so how are pristine 262s on every flight any more of an issue?

dude just imagine the bug sections if servers were to actually run random failures hahahahaha

• 4 weeks later...

OMG!!

Me(262) happy!!!!11

attachment.php?attachmentid=244052&stc=1&d=1596461935

Hm... when I open this section again, only my selected aircraft are shown.

There is something going on.

Fox

868965933_DCS-Me262.jpg.3afbbb5d73201fd1deb8f1c9a8258d83.jpg

Edited by iFoxRomeo
  • Like 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

OMG!!

Me(262) happy!!!!11

Hm... when I open this section again, only my selected aircraft are shown.

There is something going on.

Fox

It shows two aircraft selected, and your backer level as 2 aircraft. Since those licenses are issued already, you will have to wait for the 262 to come out, and pay DCS module price. 262 is still in early development.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

It shows two aircraft selected, and your backer level as 2 aircraft. Since those licenses are issued already, you will have to wait for the 262 to come out, and pay DCS module price. 262 is still in early development.

Thank you, I'm perfectly aware that I have to buy the module, when it comes out, as I have bought all other WWII modules :doh:

The point is, there was no entry for the Me262 for years. This entry just appeared on my backer page and now disappeared, even the other non-selected aircraft disappeared(now only the D9 and K4 are shown). That's the point. This fueled my hope, that a release is not years ahead, but maybe within a year or so.

Fox

• Like 1
Spoiler

Thank you, I'm perfectly aware that I have to buy the module, when it comes out, as I have bought all other WWII modules :doh:

The point is, there was no entry for the Me262 for years. This entry just appeared on my backer page and now disappeared, even the other non-selected aircraft disappeared(now only the D9 and K4 are shown). That's the point. This fueled my hope, that a release is not years ahead, but maybe within a year or so.

Fox

Sorry, I was referencing my backer page when I initially replied, the 262, and all the other aircraft are options and have been for years since the kickstarter was taken over - not sure why your account differs, maybe you need to open a ticket?

Capture.JPG.394d2c1fd6d81edcdd092f338209f043.JPG

• Like 1

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Sorry, I was referencing my backer page when I initially replied, the 262, and all the other aircraft are options and have been for years since the kickstarter was taken over - not sure why your account differs, maybe you need to open a ticket?

Okay. Strange thing is, the Me 262 was never listed on my page before. But no need for a support ticket, as I have no KS options left. I'll buy it the moment it is in the store.

I just thought that this might have been a preparation for the Me, so that it might be closer to release than I thought. Seems it is not :cry:... wish was father of thought

Fox

• Like 1
Spoiler

Is the me-262 still coming? Is it on hold or cancelled completely? :noexpression:

Im asking because it hasn`t been mentioned by the devs since last year i think.

In the latest interview with Nick Grey he stated that after the mosquito they will probably continue with battle of britain.

Part at 51:10

:pilotfly:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It seems like the Me 262 is abandonware: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/news/official-updates/6135030-weekend-news?p=7137347#post7137347

So much for the kickstarter circa 2014.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Yeah, not sure why they chose to release the Mossie before the 262 considering the latter being a promise from 6 years ago.

This. Some people already paid for the 262.

• Like 2

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The forum is here for people to express themselves regarding DCS, hence if people don't agree with or have questions regarding any decision ED made/makes it's to be expected, and allowed, that they will voice it so long as it's kept civil. Asking why we're getting a Mossie before a plane that was originally promised 6 years ago is a legitimate question, and not an attempt at making them change their mind as obviously that's too late.All we can hope is that the 262 gets the attention it deserves going forward from the release of the Mossie.

• Like 2

check DCS roadmap guys, 262 is there .. yes still moving to the later date but there is some movement. just pray more... :megalol:

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

It has not been abandoned, and as far as I am aware, still planned for after the Mosquito.

Great news, have plenty of beautiful WWII birds to keep busy until then, specifically the P-47D-XX on the DM servers!