no bombs for the Ju-88?

wolle

I cannot figure out how to load bombs on the AI Ju-88, i.e. use it as a conventional (rather than a torpedo) bomber. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,

Max

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I cannot figure out how to load bombs on the AI Ju-88, i.e. use it as a conventional (rather than a torpedo) bomber. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,

Max

No, unfortunately ED gave it torpedos only.

You could let them fly low level over the target area, so that the sniper-gunner can shoot at the ground targets with their lasers....

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

No, unfortunately ED gave it torpedos only.

You could let them fly low level over the target area, so that the sniper-gunner can shoot at the ground targets with their lasers....

Fox

Thanks for the reply. That's what I suspected. In my humble opinion, that's a bizarre decision by ED not to give it bombs. A German bomber is sorely needed...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the reply. That's what I suspected. In my humble opinion, that's a bizarre decision by ED not to give it bombs. A German bomber is sorely needed...

It's really bizarre. Noone would be sad, if this asset could drop bombs...

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder why we have Ju-88A4 variant with camouflage and weapon loadout used for antiship mission in mediterranean sea. Another antiship missions flown with this version but in much different camo from Norway airfields against ship convoys in North Atlantic and North Sea.

Im not an expert to WWII, but I think that somebody just picked popular camouflage without thinking, what maps we now have in DCS.

Bomb is MUST HAVE for Ju-88:

SC-250

SC-500

SC-1000

Read up on Ju-88 operations over Normandy...

I expect we'll see the bomb load added in time, it makes sense in the long run to make it as flexible as possible for wide array of mission types, but as it stands, with the Normandy map, and timeframe most of the Ju-88s used were at night time anti-shipping with torpedos - or they were long range fighter variants . Either way...

I expect we'll see the bomb load added in time, it makes sense in the long run to make it as flexible as possible for wide array of mission types, but as it stands, with the Normandy map, and timeframe most of the Ju-88s used were at night time anti-shipping with torpedos - or they were long range fighter variants . Either way...

Internal bombloads might be a bit of effort, as ED would need to model the bomb doors, etc., which might take some time.

But maybe adding bombs on the external pylons would be easier?

I've been trying to find references for this. One that I came across was for Ju88 A-4s from II./KG54 on D-Day itself (see ref, attached). What is not clear is whether these are SD500A or AB-500-SD2 bombs. Also, I'm not convinced that II./KG54 was in the area... this might actually be a mistake and it should be I./KG54. In any case, I'll leave it here in case anyone has some better information. There are certainly some webpages which mention I./KG54 dropping SD2 (butterfly bombs), but I can't find anything authoritative.

ju88_bombs_normandy.jpg.c2a4dfdab9950ddc371e50ccbca0373b.jpg