2.5.6 Install Questions

Hi,

I am doing a cut and paste from another thread to get some more input. I am going to try and install my new version of DCS World (2.5.6) but I have a question. My current pathway for both my 1.5 and 2.0 Open Alpha versions is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics. When I click on the installer it wants to send my new version to C;\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 1.5 but 1.5 is a separate folder inside the eagle Dynamics folder. Should I accept this pathway? And Should I change PF to PF x 86? This might be better as I am running a newer more powerful machine now and there wouldn't be any other folder in the x86 folder to confuse things. Also. should I try to port over my Mustang and Spitfire from my v 2.0, or will they and my Nevada test range terrain be picked up automatically in the install of my new DCS version? Thanks.

NavyAce

You can install the game in any location you want, it doesn't care and doesn't need to be located in Program Files to run. You might as well create a new folder for it (i.e. Games).

That means that yes you can put it in (x86) too, although I'm not sure it it won't cause confusion for you in the future - (x86) folder is used by Windows to put old, 32-bit applications in it, which DCS 2.5.6 isn't.

I don't remember how 2.5.x installer handled modules located in legacy versions, but I seem to recall it picked them up automatically. If it doesn't, reinstalling them will be a quick affair anyway.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi Art,

Thanks for the reply. I have just tried to install 2.5.6 and am having trouble. I have tried installing it using the default pathways given by the install Wizard C;\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World 1.5 and also by browsing the pathway options and using one of my own and can get a successfully installed message from the Wizard but when I click on the icon to try and run the game I get an error message from the 2.9 updater that says Couldn't Resolve Client Name. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

NavyAce

When the login window pops up, you have to use the login and password you use in ED webshop, not the one you use on forums (they're separate). Are you sure you typed in the right one?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi Art,

Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but I was only trying to start the sim after v 2.5.6 had been installed by clicking on my new desktop icon the way I start my Open Alpha2 version. I shouldn't have to go on line to the ED webshop just to do that, right? So there would be no need for me to login. As an experiment I tried to start my Open Alpha 2 version by clicking on the desktop icon, and although it also gave me an error message of could not resolve host name, I let it sit for a minute or two and eventually the sim started loading and I was able to get to the home page to set up a flight. I uninstalled the 2.5.6 version again and reinstalled it, using C:\Program Files\Flight Sim (new folder) and was able to get a successfully installed message again, but again when I tried to start the sim up I got the same old error message. This time I waited a good five minutes but nothing happened. Then I tried going on line and logging in to the website's home page and then clicked on the icon. This time I got a screen that said checking updates. The next thing I knew I was watching it update and transfer files. After watching this for about a half hour I left and came back two hours later to find it still going. I left the computer running all night to give the program time to finish but when I checked the next morning it was still running. (The installer was 2.9.16.18) The files all appeared to be huge (70,000+KB I think) and my transfer time wasn't particularly fast. Finally, the whole process stopped in the middle of one update (approx. 11,600KB) and wasn't moving. I have now apparently used up all of my high speed transfer data for my billing period which won't reset until the third week of this month. I finally had to cancel the whole process and think I will have to take my machine to an electronics store and have a tech try to set up things for me with a high speed in store connection. Anyway, since you were nice enough to try and help me with this I thought you would like to know how I am makingout.

NavyAce