SP Campaign: Operation Earnest Will

SpikeGondorff

I tryed the Campaign, was only flying the First Mission so far, but like the Style of the Campaign thx.

In the first mission with the old Carrier, after i crossed the last WP (WP1) was not able to use Tacan back to the Carrier, it is not showing anything 76X for the Stennis on the last leg back to the Carrier.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I tryed the Campaign, was only flying the First Mission so far, but like the Style of the Campaign thx.

In the first mission with the old Carrier, after i crossed the last WP (WP1) was not able to use Tacan back to the Carrier, it is not showing anything 76X for the Stennis on the last leg back to the Carrier.

Ugh, that's annoying. It should be 74X. I originally created that mission with 76X before realizing the Stennis' number was 74. I changed it in the mission editor, but forgot to update the documentation. I checked the next few missions and they're all correct, so they should all be good. I'll update the first mission when I get some time. Sorry for the incorrect briefing and kneeboard pages. Hope you enjoy the rest of the missions!

If you want Easy Communications to work, you have to enable it yourself in the Mission Editor. As the author did not allow (I am assuming unknowingly) EC in this campaign. So if you try to use EC, nothing will happen, even if you have Easy Communications checked in the difficulty.

To enable the use of EC, open each mission from the campaign in the ME, go to the CUSTOMIZE tab, select MISSION OPTIONS. When you open MO, a tab on the right will appear. In that tab, select the EASY COMMUNICATION box that is on the right hand side.

I can confirm, that the f-10 options do work with EC enabled.

If the author could include EC in future builds, it would be appreciated. Thanks for this campaign!

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll do an EC build. There's already 11 missions in the campaign, with another 9 missions that are checkpoints. Then there's another 20 missions for the Super Carrier version. Adding an EC version to both the non-SC and SC would be 80 missions that's I have to update if (when) something goes wrong. Sorry. :(

Ugh, that's annoying. It should be 74X. I originally created that mission with 76X before realizing the Stennis' number was 74. I changed it in the mission editor, but forgot to update the documentation. I checked the next few missions and they're all correct, so they should all be good. I'll update the first mission when I get some time. Sorry for the incorrect briefing and kneeboard pages. Hope you enjoy the rest of the missions!

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll do an EC build. There's already 11 missions in the campaign, with another 9 missions that are checkpoints. Then there's another 20 missions for the Super Carrier version. Adding an EC version to both the non-SC and SC would be 80 missions that's I have to update if (when) something goes wrong. Sorry. :(

No problem man. Its an easy tweak in the Mission Editor for the end user to do anyway if they want to use EC. Thanks again for this mission set!

I am having an issue with my AI wingman not taking off in Mission 2? Any idea of what would be the cause? I have tried running the mission in SP as well, with the wingman stuck at the catapult.

Are you on OB or Stable? SC or plain ol' Stennis? I just ran through both the Super Carrier and vanilla versions of the mission in Stable, and GasCan launched just fine. He actually launched before me, which is annoying, but he did it just fine.

Good afternoon, Tomcat pilots! I wanted to post about a new campaign I just (finally) finished for the F-14B. It's a story based campaign that takes place in 1987-1988 during Operation Earnest Will. My understanding is that the F-14 had a minimal role during the operation, so I've taken great liberties with history to give the Tomcat (and the player, specifically) a greater role. There will be some intercepts, A-A combat, A-G bombing, and AI that constantly run out of fuel, but hopefully it will entertain as well.

Originally it only had the old Stennis, but it has been updated to include a second campaign for people with the Super Carrier.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310481/

One thing I wanted to highlight and hopefully clarify is that I attempted to create a basic single checkpoint system. Here is the description straight from the user files section:

I have attempted to create a very basic save system for the campaign. I haven't seen this done before, but if it has, I apologize for the incoming lengthy description of how it works.

For those of you not aware how the DCS campaign builder works, the Results (not Score) at the summary screen after a mission determines what happens next. If the Results are between 0-49, you move back. If it's 51-100, you move forward. If it's an even 50, you remain in the same stage and (generally) replay the same mission.

What I've done is create 2 missions per stage. The first is the cold start, have-to-do-everything mission. The second is a variation of that same mission that starts you airborne and closer to the action. The first time you start a new mission, your Results will be 0. As you fly the mission, your Results will move up to 50. Completing the mission (objectives completed and landed) will net you Results of 100. If you die, wingman shoots you down, wife/kids scream at you in exasperation of your simming hobby, you can continue from a specific checkpoint in the mission provided your Results = 50.

For example, in the 3rd mission of the campaign, you are required to defend a ship. Flying there with afterburners will drain your fuel, and you are required to AAR from a nearby tanker. Getting close to the tanker will trigger the Results = 50, so if you hate refueling, or just need to quit, you can exit the mission. When you play the “next” mission in the campaign, you will be flying close to the tanker with full fuel, ready to complete the rest of the mission.

The caveat to this is that you can move back in the campaign. Which means if you crash, die, girlfriend screams at you, etc. before you trigger the Results = 50, then your Results will be 0. If this happens and you don't want to replay the previous mission, you MUST click “Close” on the summary screen (button in the bottom left). If you click the green “End Mission” button on the bottom right, you will fail the mission and move back in the campaign.

Using the example from the 3rd mission above, if you die before getting close to the tanker, your Results = 0 and you will move back to the previous mission in the campaign if you hit the “End Mission” button in the summary screen. So, please, only hit the “End Mission” button when your Results are 50 – 100. Otherwise, hit “Close.”

Hopefully that makes sense. If not, please let me know.

This is my first campaign, so if anything is amiss, or you have any tips, recommendations, critiques, etc. please share.

Thanks!

ty for this. will post a review in few days.

I am having an issue with my AI wingman not taking off in Mission 2? Any idea of what would be the cause? I have tried running the mission in SP as well, with the wingman stuck at the catapult.

I tried the mission again after the most recent Stable update (which is currently the same as OB), and I now see the same issue. The problem appears to be the CH-53. It's supposed to take off and fly to Dubai, but instead it takes off, circles to the back of the carrier, and lands. When the helo is on the landing area, GasCan won't take off.

I have no idea why the CH-53 is ignoring its flight plan and just immediately landing. I tried changing the flight's speed, altitude, length, etc., and he just laughs at me and then lands on the carrier. I swapped him out with an SH-60, and everything went well. I'll check through the rest of the missions tomorrow and see if are other helos ignoring my orders. Once they're all fixed, I'll update the campaign.

Updated the campaign files to fix the weird issue with the CH-53 immediately landing after takeoff, which would cause GasCan to not take off on Mission 2 (thanks for Castor Troy for pointing it out).

Also aligned the kneeboard/briefing TACAN information with what the carrier is actually broadcasting in Mission 1 (thanks for MAD-MM for bringing it up).

I finished this last week and it's one of the best experiences I've had in DCS. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the kind words! :)

Are you on OB or Stable? SC or plain ol' Stennis? I just ran through both the Super Carrier and vanilla versions of the mission in Stable, and GasCan launched just fine. He actually launched before me, which is annoying, but he did it just fine.

Sorry for late reply. Just so you know, I am on OB, using SC. Thank you for the support and fix on this issue!

Edited by Castor Troy

Same problem

I landed on the Roosevelt, didn't get a landing rating though as the landing was failed for not doing any comms. Could that be the issue?

Running latest OB.

Yep, intercepted F5s and got confirmation from Overlord. Yep, flew formation with the F4 and got confirmation they were bugging out.

Guessing there's some kinda bug with landing on the SC. Note that I tuned my radio back to 127.500 to radio inbound to the carrier at approx 60nm range, no response.

I am having the same problem-GREAT CAMPAGINE-but no matter what I do I can't talk to the SC and get a NO Grade after a great three wire due improper communications-UGH.

Sorry for late reply. Just so you know, I am on OB, using SC. Thank you for the support and fix on this issue!

Yeah, that was a weird one. Hope it's all squared away for you. Say hi to your brother, Pollux. :)

I am having the same problem-GREAT CAMPAGINE-but no matter what I do I can't talk to the SC and get a NO Grade after a great three wire due improper communications-UGH.

Is it happening on every mission? It shouldn't impact the completion of the mission. Are failing to advance in the campaign when this happens?

I don't have any control over the radio calls from the super carrier, but it might be some weird bug. There was a thread about DCS missing the radio calls, but I don't remember the specifics (something about when you call "See you at 10" if I recall).

I just blitzed though the first mission and it triggered fine. Please let me know if it's stopping you from advancing in the campaign, as it shouldn't do that at all. I'll poke around some more and fly the 2nd mission when I get some time. I know Gunslinger said it happened on that one. Let me know if there are other missions you see it, too. Thanks!

For those having issues with the radio have you tried assigning keys to the Mic button UHF1 ARC-159 and UHF2 ARC182 radios and use these after tuning to correct channel, didn't work with the normal comms button but did with these.

• Thanks 1

AMD 5800X, 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, AMD 6900xt, Windows 11, Quest 3.

F15E, AH-64, F/A18C, F-14, Super Carrier, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, AV-8B, FW190, C101, F-15C, Mi8MTV2, SU-33, SU-27, M-2000C, AJS-37, KA-50, L-39, Yak-52, F-5E, F-86F, Spitfire, Persian Gulf, Normandy, NTTR.

I can't go through mission 7, all the bombs fall on the runway, along its entire length, but still a message appears that the runway is suitable for takeoff. What am I doing wrong?

I tried a few times and I couldn't destroy it either. I added a script to spit out the health of the runway and I could never get it below the threshold to trigger the success. I don't know what changed between this patch and the last, but something is calculated differently or my bombing skills got way worse.

I tweaked the damage necessary to trigger the success, but my internet went down while I was doing it, and I can't upload the changes (typing this on my phone, so sorry for spelling/grammar). Assuming my cable provider is done with their maintenance by tomorrow, I'll upload it then.

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for pointing this out.

I tried a few times and I couldn't destroy it either. I added a script to spit out the health of the runway and I could never get it below the threshold to trigger the success. I don't know what changed between this patch and the last, but something is calculated differently or my bombing skills got way worse.

I tweaked the damage necessary to trigger the success, but my internet went down while I was doing it, and I can't upload the changes (typing this on my phone, so sorry for spelling/grammar). Assuming my cable provider is done with their maintenance by tomorrow, I'll upload it then.

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for pointing this out.

No problem, I just realized that something is not working correctly, because all the bombs fall on the runway.

The company is great !!! Thanks for your work!

I tried it several times and it was hit or miss for me. It always worked when I tried it from the checkpoint mission (which was always a CASE 1 recovery), but it would sometimes work when I did the full mission (which was CASE 1 or 3 depending on how long it took to complete the mission). To be honest, I've always found CASE 3's to be a bit wonky with the communications. I assume I'm doing something wrong even when following the directions in the SC .pdf.

I updated the campaign and set the start time earlier to avoid any chance of CASE 3. Hopefully that will fix it.

No problem, I just realized that something is not working correctly, because all the bombs fall on the runway.

The company is great !!! Thanks for your work!

I flew it again today with the original values and it triggered just fine. I'm guessing the wind is causing issues with the bombs hitting the runway consistently and accurately. The original values also required near perfection with the bombs, so I went ahead and changed the criteria to make it a bit easier. Those original values were a bit harsh, as it required actually destroying the runway (essentially, hit points = 0). You should only need to reduce the runway's hitpoints by 2/3 now instead of 100%.

Give it a shot and see if that works for you. I can tweak some more if needed.

Thanks!

Great campaign but I wonder how come there are so strong winds all the time? And the weather is pretty static through out all the mission.

I set them to about 5 knots at sea level, and maybe 25 knots at the highest level, which I think is about normal. I'm no meteorologist, though, so feel free to point me to the winds aloft data for the Persian Gulf.

The weather is static because from my quick research the weather is pretty static for the times in the campaign. If I recall, the chance of precipitation outside of the winter months is like 2%. Even during the winter months it's only like 10% or something like that. Similar stats for cloudiness, too, although not as bad. I think even during the "rainy" season it was still clear over 60% of the days (and more than partly cloudy only about 20%), and the summer had even more clear days.

Again, that was just what I remember from my quick googling when researching for the campaign, so if you have other data, I'm open to it.

Hope that explains the thought process, and I'm glad you like it overall!

Just flew the first mission of the campaign. (Really nice work, so far!)

As I think some others have mentioned, I can't initiate comms with the SC on my return. Hit every waypoint, and 'passed' the mission after landing, just no carrier comms or LSO grade.

Just flew the first mission of the campaign. (Really nice work, so far!)

As I think some others have mentioned, I can't initiate comms with the SC on my return. Hit every waypoint, and 'passed' the mission after landing, just no carrier comms or LSO grade.

What key are you hitting to open the radio menu? Easy Communications is off in this campaign, so you need to tune to the correct channel and hit the correct Push To Talk key (check in the kebindings for ARC 182 for RIO radio and ARC 159 for Pilot radio). The carrier should be on 127.500, which is only available from the RIO radio. This is key for the remainder of the missions, too, as directions will come from AWACS only if you're tuned on the correct frequency.

Apparently there is a bug with the F14 and CASE III recoveries and No Communication, but I have always been able to trigger it for CASE I. The first mission should definitely be a CASE I, so there might be something else going on.

Glad you liked the first mission, and I hope you like the rest. Let me know if you see any more radio issues, because they all work fine for me (except that CASE III), so if it's something else, I can't reproduce it and would need some more information.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

What key are you hitting to open the radio menu? Easy Communications is off in this campaign, so you need to tune to the correct channel and hit the correct Push To Talk key (check in the kebindings for ARC 182 for RIO radio and ARC 159 for Pilot radio). The carrier should be on 127.500, which is only available from the RIO radio. This is key for the remainder of the missions, too, as directions will come from AWACS only if you're tuned on the correct frequency.

Apparently there is a bug with the F14 and CASE III recoveries and No Communication, but I have always been able to trigger it for CASE I. The first mission should definitely be a CASE I, so there might be something else going on.

Glad you liked the first mission, and I hope you like the rest. Let me know if you see any more radio issues, because they all work fine for me (except that CASE III), so if it's something else, I can't reproduce it and would need some more information.

Thanks!

Ahh! I use easy comms habitually, along with VAICOM and AIRIO. I'll try switching off easy comms for the next mission and see how that works . Thanks!

Update: switching off easy comms did the trick.

Excellent!

If you don't mind editing the mission files directly, it's super easy to enable Easy Comms in the mission editor. Another user (Castro Troy, I think) said the missions work fine if you flip it on. I haven't tested it, but if you really prefer Easy Comms, it's an easy switch.

Excellent!

If you don't mind editing the mission files directly, it's super easy to enable Easy Comms in the mission editor. Another user (Castro Troy, I think) said the missions work fine if you flip it on. I haven't tested it, but if you really prefer Easy Comms, it's an easy switch.

I thought about doing that, but with the kneeboard card provided it's easy enough to jump in Jester's seat for a couple seconds and change the radios.

3 missions in so far; I'm enjoying having to make decisions like divert or try to make it back to the ship, and referencing the kneeboard cards for TACAN channels, frequencies, and such. My only moment of puzzlement for mission 3 was why TPTB wouldn't have the Tomcats launch and cover the AWACS while using its escorting Eagles for the initial show of force, since they are a couple hundred miles closer at mission start. I get it, though- the 'logical' way doesn't make for much of a mission.

On mission 2, I actually landed at the divert, used the ground crew refuel function, and then flew back to the ship. Made for a long mission, but I got the field landing and the trap. Unfortunately, my wingman didn't want to switch over to landing configuration and ate dirt trying to stay in formation with me in the landing pattern at the divert. That's totally on the sub-par AI, however.

Good stuff!

Edited by jmarso