Runway distance markers & airport signs

Hi all!

I've recently starting modeling and decided to make airport signs to give the default airports in DCS more life & immersion. I'm currently working on runway markers which is still WIP and i plan to add a wider variety of object that you can use around the airport.

If you have any pictures of signs that are used at & around airports feel free to share them as it would help a lot!

Screen_200131_234542.thumb.png.54d447290fbd0b696bd296bd93378b55.png

Screen_200131_234938.thumb.png.0ac1c870c203a1043ccb3aa2f0de23a7.png

Screen_200131_231301.thumb.png.8ccedebd3d193bb05d4186ec7e52466a.png

Edited by TEMPER
Correcting title

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking good! Are you interested in pictures of signs only inside airports or also outside, such as "military zone, photos and videos are not allowed" kind of pictures?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Looking good! Are you interested in pictures of signs only inside airports or also outside, such as "military zone, photos and videos are not allowed" kind of pictures?

All kinds of pictures are welcome in-outside airports & military zones.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

nice work! please, do not forget a version for former eastern/warsaw block soviet cold war era airfields, there were no illuminated signs. i will try to provide pictures

I'll do my best but i can't promise anything. Pictures would be greatly appreciated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

I've finished the runway markers for the following airfields; if you'd like different locations send me a pm or post a comment.

Nellis AFB

Kutaisi

Al Dhafra

I'll be uploading the modpack to user files and you can download it there.

Installation is easy enough just put in your C:\Users\your_name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Tech

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can work on it, it might pushback the release by a bit.

Eager for try it! thank you for your work. Keep up.

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I use End_Runway plates from VPS mod as markers. I need those to visual distances in Tacview when analyze my landings. Works pretty well. Numbers? What I need are lights, diffrent shapes, sizes, power, colors, directional and beacons, etc. Would be cool if someone could do more lights.

2hNzKtG.jpg

Mg3VLvC.jpg

2YGwvke.jpg

I use End_Runway plates from VPS mod as markers. I need those to visual distances in Tacview when analyze my landings. Works pretty well. Numbers? What I need are lights, diffrent shapes, sizes, power, colors, directional and beacons, etc. Would be cool if someone could do more lights.

In short ED need to change the lighting and markings on the airfields, they are more than lacking to be polite. We have some mods like these in the works, other than these runway markers are we playing with lights and airfield signage. The issue with anything on the runway is the size of the lights ED have at the moment, especially on Caucasus are massive.

From what you're saying doesn't make sense as Tacview is picking up the VPS object like it will pick up these objects, so in theory you'll analyze your landings the same way. Visually in the sim it will tell you how many thousand feet you have left and at night they will be lit up.

Hope that helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Glow for your input, however this isn't about "what you need" this is a mod that's internally used in the 5VFW and will be released to the public at some point.

You mentioned "numbers?" but IRL they use these markers next to the runway.

You're mentioning lights, different shapes, power, colors, directional and beacons? Not sure what you trying to say...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know it's a lot of working hours. I made just a little suggestion. I believe that having more light sources that we could place around would be much more useful, immersive and welcome.

End_Runway is very simply and universal object, so you can palce a lot of those around and not be scare about fps drop.

The one from your screenshot is actually called a runway distance remaining sign. The number on the signs indicates the distance in ft of landing runway remaining. The look is actually different - white number with white frame around on black bg. I don't think that you will find those in Caucasus, 'cos in that part of the world is a metric system in use. Not sure about other locations.

IRL doing my landings, I don't have much time to read those numbers anyway. Lights give all the information at night, at day time there is no need for those imo.

The one from your screenshot is actually called a runway distance remaining sign. The number on the signs indicates the distance in ft of landing runway remaining. The look is actually different - white number with white frame around on black bg. I don't think that you will find those in Caucasus, 'cos in that part of the world is a metric system in use. Not sure about other locations.

I think you'll find they also have the name "runway distance markers". I also mentioned that the numbers indicate the distance remaining in feet, in thousands. The white number on a black background is correct, in fact if you did some research you will find these signs coming in different varieties.

Your point about those not being in the Caucasus, seriously? It's DCS not real life we're talking here, it is a mod for users to enjoy. I am fully aware of what would be there or not however we have limitations within the virtual world in which we have to adapt, is that not obvious?

I think next time we should all consult Glow on what we're allowed to do here or not? Whether he/she approves? What we're allowed to release? If it's not about Glow, no go! New callsign=No Go

Don't like them? Move on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jesus, calm down! I did not post in this topic to discourage, I like the mod and I'm waiting for it. Instead of ohs and ahs I put some of my needs and the other view.

Your point about those not being in the Caucasus, seriously? It's DCS not real life we're talking here, it is a mod for users to enjoy. I am fully aware of what would be there or not however we have limitations within the virtual world in which we have to adapt, is that not obvious?

We understand immersive in a different way, that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

This the link to the FAA airport signage advisory circular. I preferred the advisor circulars when I was in flight school fir check ride prep, they go into extreme detail.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150-5340-18G.pdf

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5