Mode for semi simmers?

BallsOFire

I'm what I call a semi simmer. I'm a stickler for realism in the areas I deem it to be important for immersion and flying skill, but not for tedium. The areas where I want maximum realism are:

1. Physics - flight models, damage models, weapon performance, TWI/radar performance, countermeasures, etc.

2. Flight control - stick, rudder, trim, flaps, air brake, gear, tail hook, wheel brake, etc.

3. Environment - graphics, AI, etc.

But to a somewhat lesser degree:

4. Radar and weapon management systems

5. Aircraft management systems

6. Communications\Command(wingmen, etc.)

I like 4 & 5 limited to the level of the Flaming Cliffs A10A for example.

I get no enjoyment spending a lot of time managing the aircraft systems, and at my age (an old fart) still keeping a 9-5 job I simply don't have the time and/or patience to do it and keep going in all my other hobbies (cars, guns. RC planes, etc.) too, lol. Just curious how many others there are like me. I would like full detail modules to come with a mode like this, not just full realism or game mode. Could there be a "Flaming Cliffs" mode?

What's important in a flight sim to me is state of the art realism in the physics and flight controls so I can out fly or out strategize the other guy with no handicaps, have to manage my energy, full landing difficulty, everything, except just not have to click every button and go through every MFD menu, too old for that crap. :) [/Rant] Thanks for listening.

Edited by BallsOFire

I5, GTX1060, TM Warthog A-10C Flightstick, TM TWCS, Odyssey+ WMR

That's why there is Flaming Cliffs. And I believe they're working on next version of Flaming Cliffs... for "semi" simmers.

If you're saying you want full fidelity planes like FA18 in FC quality... well... I think it should go the other way first. FC planes in full fidelity first.

I also share your sentiment. But I have no interest in simplified systems because that would just kill the authenticity of the experience. What I have done instade is to just stick to aircraft that I feel comfortable with its systems level of sophistication. So far the aircraft that fits me like a glove the most is the Viggen followed by the Tomcat.

So I recommend to just stick to older aircraft that are more your pace.

The A-7 Corsair II should be perfect for you when it comes out.

Edited by Evoman

OP, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment even though I have no interest in such planes my self anymore (though I did play these types of games a lot in my childhood and that's probably how I ended up in DCS).

Lite sims or Survey sims are an important almost fundamental steppingstone between arcade games and study sims like DCS has now become and it's a market that since the 1990s has been awfully neglected,

And partly why I think the flight sim community has not grown as much as other ones.

ED is now coming out with Modern Air Combat though which adds more planes to the FC3 Line up (off the top of my head L-39, F-86, MiG-21, & F-5) in the survey sim FC3 style.

It wouldn't be out of the question I think to later on see more DCS planes rendered in that style if it turns out to be successful enough.

Ha, same here!!! I own the A-10A and F-15C, and I love the concept of these models, because I finally managed it to remember all the dozens of keystrokes that I need to have my personal perfect game-experience.

I surely would buy more planes, if ED would additionally alter them to such a mode (ED if you read this: this would expand your customer-base a lot… because there are so many people who don’t have the time / patience / skills to learn the ultra-realistic cockpits. The A-10 is the perfect example: two versions for different people).

I tested the F-18, but quickly was frustrated because of the overwhelming amount of knobs and triggers. It is just too much for my definition of „Simulator-Fun“.

I mean, I often get shot down during a mission and restart again. After the fifth or sixth attempt it gets „tough“… And to imagine, each time I have to start the plane and „wasting“ 10 minutes with all these procedures, I would have already lost interest.

Although I also own the FW-190, and this I find quite comfortable, because it hasn’t all this electronic stuff AND you can make an auto-start of all the systems / engine. This is a very good compromise, and therefore for me it has the difficulty-level of the FC3-modules.

So maybe they will come someday with some semi-real versions, maybe first try it with one module *hope*

Ha, same here!!! I own the A-10A and F-15C, and I love the concept of these models, because I finally managed it to remember all the dozens of keystrokes that I need to have my personal perfect game-experience.

I surely would buy more planes, if ED would additionally alter them to such a mode (ED if you read this: this would expand your customer-base a lot… because there are so many people who don’t have the time / patience / skills to learn the ultra-realistic cockpits. The A-10 is the perfect example: two versions for different people).

I tested the F-18, but quickly was frustrated because of the overwhelming amount of knobs and triggers. It is just too much for my definition of „Simulator-Fun“.

I mean, I often get shot down during a mission and restart again. After the fifth or sixth attempt it gets „tough“… And to imagine, each time I have to start the plane and „wasting“ 10 minutes with all these procedures, I would have already lost interest.

Although I also own the FW-190, and this I find quite comfortable, because it hasn’t all this electronic stuff AND you can make an auto-start of all the systems / engine. This is a very good compromise, and therefore for me it has the difficulty-level of the FC3-modules.

So maybe they will come someday with some semi-real versions, maybe first try it with one module *hope*

F-18 should be able to auto start, it’s pretty standard

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I'm what I call a semi simmer. I'm a stickler for realism in the areas I deem it to be important for immersion and flying skill, but not for tedium. The areas where I want maximum realism are:

1. Physics - flight models, damage models, weapon performance, TWI/radar performance, countermeasures, etc.

2. Flight control - stick, rudder, trim, flaps, air brake, gear, tail hook, wheel brake, etc.

3. Environment - graphics, AI, etc.

But to a somewhat lesser degree:

4. Radar and weapon management systems

5. Aircraft management systems

6. Communications\Command(wingmen, etc.)

I like 4 & 5 limited to the level of the Flaming Cliffs A10A for example.

I get no enjoyment spending a lot of time managing the aircraft systems, and at my age (an old fart) still keeping a 9-5 job I simply don't have the time and/or patience to do it and keep going in all my other hobbies (cars, guns. RC planes, etc.) too, lol. Just curious how many others there are like me. I would like full detail modules to come with a mode like this, not just full realism or game mode. Could there be a "Flaming Cliffs" mode?

What's important in a flight sim to me is state of the art realism in the physics and flight controls so I can out fly or out strategize the other guy with no handicaps, have to manage my energy, full landing difficulty, everything, except just not have to click every button and go through every MFD menu, too old for that crap. :) [/Rant] Thanks for listening.

Eagle Dynamics will soon release Modern Air Combat (MAC) which will probably suite your playstyle perfectly ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Eagle Dynamics will soon release Modern Air Combat (MAC) which will probably suite your playstyle perfectly ;)

THIS I hear for the first time! Is there a thread with some more information or news to read more details?

It surely sounds promising - my wallet and I are looking forward to this :)

THIS I hear for the first time! Is there a thread with some more information or news to read more details?

It surely sounds promising - my wallet and I are looking forward to this :)

Here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3565024#post3565024

There was a whole official trailer that showed the features, but it got taken offline again, after they couldn't meet the release date that was shown in the trailer :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3565024#post3565024

There was a whole official trailer that showed the features, but it got taken offline again, after they couldn't meet the release date that was shown in the trailer :music_whistling:

Thanks a lot. Then let’s see, what will finally happen with this project…

Also use accelerate time after auto start to skip the time.

Yeah, I already used this many times, when I was shot down again and again. Precious little feature :megalol:

Thank you and yes I would purchase new FC3 aircraft or even the study version if it could be limited similarly.

Thanks for pointing this out. Have you seen any activity on this lately?

You can set radio assist/game avionics in the options. That should reduce the complexity of the full realism planes to nearly FC3 level.

Take a quick look here:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

since you just want to look cool without caring about what you're doing you should just wait for wart hunter to push out the airplanes you want to fly ok

So everything you do in a flight sim besides having your head down fiddling with your cockpit is just to look cool? Speak for yourself!

Edited by BallsOFire

since you just want to look cool without caring about what you're doing you should just wait for wart hunter to push out the airplanes you want to fly ok

Dude, that was seriously uncalled for. There are plenty of simmers out there who are as enthusiastic as we are, but just don't have the time to dedicate to full-switch sims. I know: when I was active duty I was too busy learning my own aircraft to learn another one, so I stuck with MSFS and Flanker 2, and I kept Falcon 4 on the shelf until I went to shore duty.

The OP indicated that it was a time issue; someone's sim-relevance should not be judged based on real world responsibilities that limit recreational time.

Thank you. They talked about what's in it but not one word about when!

Release was originally scheduled for autumn 2019. That didn't work out and since then we're waiting for a new release date.

Tornado3 small.jpg