[FIXED] Magnetic Declination Knob not functional

But I believe you can see the adjustments work on the compass though? It did previously for me. The animation of the knob doesn't, as you said.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

But I believe you can see the adjustments work on the compass though? It did previously for me. The animation of the knob doesn't, as you said.

Need to check this but if it's the case that's quite a cheap solution, a bit disappointing. Also, the radar control stick is lacking animation. Hopefully these will be addressed.

+1 - knob doesn't move and I wasn't able to detect any changes on the compass after moving that knob. But maybe I didn't choose the correct method to move that knob ...?

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

+1 - knob doesn't move and I wasn't able to detect any changes on the compass after moving that knob. But maybe I didn't choose the correct method to move that knob ...?

The whole aircraft is full of non clickable and/or non animated switches and knobs. Just look at the flight stick and the radar stick. Full of knobs and switches yet only a very, very few are clickable/animated.

The knob doesn't move, but it certainly changed the compass for me - after clicking the reference button.

It would be nice if knob moved. Such basic function, in a high fidelity sim it's a must. The uge amount of non clickable switches remind me of non clickable cockpit modules.

Checked it in detail:

- set per keyboard (no need to remove cover) = compass needle moves, a bit overshooting, swinging in

To set it per mouse remove the cover first

- using left-click and drag = compass needle is wobbling, finally swinging in

- using mouse-wheel = needle moves in small scales

Since the knob-rotation isn't animated now, one has to check settings via the magnetic compass. No problem to set it precisely using full zoom and keyboard (Rsh+Rctrl+Ralt+ z or x, advantage piano-players).

"Those who admire me for my 275 kills know nothing about war" Günther Rall

• 2 weeks later...

Not working for me either - was part of the tutorial and tried adjusting it with mouse, but no animation nor any movement in the compass?

Should it be bound as a keyboard commands for now (haven't tested if that works)?

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

• 3 weeks later...
+1 for an animated knob. So how do i know whether i have put into the correct position?

Check the backup compass just below the backup altimeter (not the bezel on the radar screen). It's not exactly a precise way but it will be good enough until HB fixes the animation.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

i get that, but whats the reference here? I see the compass needle moving, but how do i know the correct value it should be point to?

It's +6 degrees magnetic declination in Caucasus which means that if your compass shows 200 degrees before you start turning the knob, it should show 206 when you are finished.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

ha....i didn't use my brain there! Right, so i reckon the magnetic declination knob sits at 0 at mission start and you then add the respective value for each map.
You can check this by going to F10 map and see what heading you have there. If your backup compass give you the same value you need to correct it by adding 6 with the knob. If it's already +6 you're fine.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
i get that, but whats the reference here? I see the compass needle moving, but how do i know the correct value it should be point to?

You adjust the magnetic compass heading (as indicated on the backup course indicator, right side of front panel) until it matches the gyrocompass heading (as indicated on the ring on the Central Indicator, surrounding the radar display).

Do you want me to set a incorrect deviation at mission start? I think it wouldn’t be very realistic as the declination changes very slowly and most of the times the machine wouldn’t be just ferried from a far-away airbase (with a different declination).

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.