AI JU 88

This is hopefully fixed by the damage model for all WW2 planes that is already in testing and will be released "soon". Not sure if its worth filing bug reports for the current placeholder DM anymore.

I did anyway, just in case. Might have been wrong to do so, but they can just delete if redundant or already reported.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

BIGNEWY confirmed, known issue, will be addressed in DM updates (not sure at what point), but will be addressed.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=271669

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get the JU-88 to take off from any airfield on the Normandy map (haven't tried others maps yet). They all seem to not have enough runway to take off. Not sure if this is a bug or not.

----------------------------------------------------

i7 6700k - 16GB - 1TB Samsung 860 - EVO, Radeon RX 5700 XT

CH Fighterstick - CH Throttle Pro - CH Rudder Pedals - Trackir 5

Windows 10 Pro - 1903

• 1 month later...

Well, the good news is that the Ju-88 does in fact die, and you can kill it with snapshots from the P-47.

The bad news is, it doesn't die QUICKLY. It seems like the mechanism of kill for me, almost every time, it to bleed the engines of oil or similar: it doesn't take too many round to kill them, but they don't actually die until several minutes after you shoot them up. I have only managed to get an immediate kill on them a couple times: with pilot kills in a head on pass, and by knocking a wing off one. To do the latter requires getting way too close, and you will get shot up.

Related: the windshield armor on the P-47 appears to do precisely nothing, because the Ju-88 gunners manage to kill the pilot with 8mm through the windshield ENTIRELY too often.

I have to report the same as some other folks in this thread: The Ju-88, even when assigned to a WW2 bomber section formation and "no reaction", will immediately break formation.

• 4 weeks later...

The A-20 is still behaving like a fighter, too.

Regarding the sniper gunners, when placing huge box formations it becomes somewhat obvious that the B-17 gunners are not only to accurate, but also shooting way to many bullets in situations where they shouldn't fire at all. When I'm doing a slashing attack on the left wing, the gunners from the far right try to get a few hits on me, sometimes even hitting their friendlies.

The B-17 carried aprox 7000 rounds for Browning MG, so every gunner should've had around 875 rounds (tail gunner and ball turret had probably more than the others) and when they would fire continously, like they currently do ingame, they would've been out of ammo in less than 2 minutes of combat. Wouldn't it be more realistic if the gunners would be using fire bursts from time to time?

• 5 months later...

An excellent tactic for attacking Ju-88s and B-17s and even A-20s is to get beneath them and a little behind, match airspeed as you are steadily climbing.  Pull up behind the aircraft (about 40 - 75 feet to their rear) and climb performing a barrel roll which will put you right back in a position to repeat the maneuver again.  If done correctly, the enemy AI gunners do not have  time to react. Timing the gun firing and a little elevator & rudder coordination usually results in "The Ronson Effect" in two or three passes.  The AI gunners are good, so were the aircraft gunners in real life, so us pilots have to be better!!! The new DM even has the Ju-88s diving to low level and turning to prevent this attack, but it can still be used - just keep one eye on the ground.