THE SERPENTS HEAD F18C CAMPAIGN

Badger633

Hey gang,

I wonder if someone might check something for me? I am stuck on the Sam Slam Mission.

Tasked with taking out two targets at waypoint three, and two targets at waypoint four.

I have no problem at all with Jtac ( Warrior) and the targets at waypoint three, I nail both of them no problem.

However I can never seem to get Jtack (Finger) to communicate with me for the targets at Waypoint four therefore can not get them to lase the target.

Granted I am still fairly new to the Hornet and still learning but have done a few missions to date like this one with no problem.

Not sure what is going on here?

Thanks for any assistance!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

53 minutes ago, rob10 said:

Did you set your radio preset Comm 1 to channel 2 for Finger?  That's the only thing I can think of.

I was just coming back to post that I had got it.

I use Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack and normally do not have to mess with that, but for whatever reason this time I did. I changed the radio to channel 2 and it worked LOL. Finally was able to successfully complete the mission.

Thanks, you were spot on anyways!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, dburne said:

I was just coming back to post that I had got it.

I use Vaicom Pro with Voice Attack and normally do not have to mess with that, but for whatever reason this time I did. I changed the radio to channel 2 and it worked LOL. Finally was able to successfully complete the mission.

Thanks, you were spot on anyways!

Hi

Sorry only just saw your post. Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers

Glyn (Badger633)

• Like 1

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Oh man.

I just flew mission 5. Great fun and I was so proud of myself, able to successfully take out the targets at the 6 waypoints with no problem, without even needing to consult the manual. This learning Hornet pilot was quite proud of that.

However I landed at the designated airport - Tiblis - and as was on the tarmac I stopped to check the map to see if I could figure out which building I was supposed to taxi to. When I tried to resume my taxi, no go. Wheels were just spinning in place. So I had to exit and was unable to get a successful mission - going to have to do it over now. I don't mind it is fun, but that kinda bites...

Guess I will have to try and figure out where to taxi to whilst plane is moving.

Don B

Second time was the charm!

It helps to listen to what that gal is telling me, she gets me to the right spot duh.

Really enjoying this one!

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Second time was the charm!

It helps to listen to what that gal is telling me, she gets me to the right spot duh.

Really enjoying this one!

Always listen to air traffic control 🙂👍

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Just finished Mission 6. I even managed to get it all on the first attempt!

What a great campaign which was perfect for me in my learning stage with the Hornet.

Thank you so much for this, really enjoyed it!! Love the music at the end as well!

Will be starting The Serpents Head 2 here shortly. 

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Just finished Mission 6. I even managed to get it all on the first attempt!

What a great campaign which was perfect for me in my learning stage with the Hornet.

Thank you so much for this, really enjoyed it!! Love the music at the end as well!

Will be starting The Serpents Head 2 here shortly. 

Glad you enjoyed and best of luck with SH2. 🙂👍

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, DCS.Fighter.Masi said:

Would love to see an update for this campaign to the new cloud model. At the moment the cloud layer in mission 2 at 200 feet, not 6000 feet, you literally fly through the cloud / fog at all time.

On my list. Just finishing my latest Campaign, " Rise of the Persian Lion".

Will get the weather updated ASAP on the SH Campaign.

Badger633  

• Like 3

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Glyn:

On my list. Just finishing my latest Campaign, " Rise of the Persian Lion".

Will get the weather updated ASAP on the SH Campaign.

Badger633  

Great! I am waiting... because i´ve firmly decided that this will be my first Hornet campaign.
Thanks Badger 👍

• Like 1

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

On 4/21/2021 at 12:10 AM, DCS.Fighter.Masi said:

Would love to see an update for this campaign to the new cloud model. At the moment the cloud layer in mission 2 at 200 feet, not 6000 feet, you literally fly through the cloud / fog at all time.

Free Serpent's Head Campaign now updated to DCS 2.7 and issued. Clouds adjusted to suit.

Badger633

The Serpent's Head F/A-18C Campaign. (Nevada & Caucasus) Rev 6.B Feb 21 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

The Serpent's Head F/A-18C Campaign ( Reduced version for Caucasus Map Only) Rev 6.B Feb 21 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)  

• Like 4

Thank you Glynn for the update. Really nice missions ! 
Just bought Serpents Head 2 in support and in anticipation of having even more fun😊

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

58 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Thank you Glynn for the update. Really nice missions ! 
Just bought Serpents Head 2 in support and in anticipation of having even more fun😊

I am in the middle of another play through of Serpents Head 2.

It is an absolutely fantastic campaign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I am in the middle of another play through of Serpents Head 2.

It is an absolutely fantastic campaign.

Thanks for the kind words. If you could pass it around fellow pilots it would be much appreciated 👍

Next one, 'Rise of the Persian Lion' has been issued to ED. 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Glyn said:

Thanks for the kind words. If you could pass it around fellow pilots it would be much appreciated 👍

Next one, 'Rise of the Persian Lion' has been issued to ED. 🙂

Very glad to do so!

Woohoo I have been so looking forward to the new campaign, can't wait!!

Don B

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect campaign to get started (my first Hornet campaign) and everything works fine so far (Mission4)
Thanks Badger 👍 will definitely buy SH2 and continue with it!

Edited by Ganesh
  • Like 1

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

• 2 weeks later...

My First campaign for the Hornet and I love it. I flew the version with the SC. I'm almost done, just cannot lock the moving target at the last mission (current Hornet bug I guess).

Anyway, I would like to ask about the wind conditions. Are those intended - @2000m 17m/s and @8000m 17m/s?? eg. In mission 6 “A BLOODY NIGHTCAP” at the CASE III  holding I had 308GS when I flew from the mom and 248 when I flew towards to the mom. It caused me a bit troubles to calculate when to turn back to be in time😅. Maybe less experience players fight with this a bit. Yeah and BTW I almost crashed during Kutaisi landing 😄  But in overall very enjoyable campaign. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, RoGaR said:

My First campaign for the Hornet and I love it. I flew the version with the SC. I'm almost done, just cannot lock the moving target at the last mission (current Hornet bug I guess).

Anyway, I would like to ask about the wind conditions. Are those intended - @2000m 17m/s and @8000m 17m/s?? eg. In mission 6 “A BLOODY NIGHTCAP” at the CASE III  holding I had 308GS when I flew from the mom and 248 when I flew towards to the mom. It caused me a bit troubles to calculate when to turn back to be in time😅. Maybe less experience players fight with this a bit. Yeah and BTW I almost crashed during Kutaisi landing 😄  But in overall very enjoyable campaign. Thank you. 

Hi RoGar

Glad you are enjoying 👍

Mission 6 winds  as scripted is as follow: The carrier is heading south at 15kts. The wind is blowing from the south, at 33ft is 16kts / at 1600 ft is 35kts / at 6,600ft and above at 33kts.

The Kutaisi is meant to be a challenging cross wind landing as warned in the brief. It is something pilots are often challenged with when there is only one runway  and is good to practice. 

Cheers 😀👍

Badger633

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I flew that last mission 5th time. The Litening pod still do not track but I managed to kill the snake by manual slew and manual lasing....but on the way home I was shoot down by the Migs 8,7 miles behind Kutaisi... This campaign want me to keep playing it 🤪🤣 so ... let's see how it will work in two weeks for the 6th time

Edited by RoGaR

5 hours ago, RoGaR said:

Today I flew that last mission 5th time. The Litening pod still do not track but I managed to kill the snake by manual slew and manual lasing....but on the way home I was shoot down by the Migs 8,7 miles behind Kutaisi... This campaign want me to keep playing it 🤪🤣 so ... let's see how it will work in two weeks for the 6th time

you need  to  get  to the  base  as  fast  as  you can 🙂

4 hours ago, pete_auau said:

Edited by Badger633