HUD symbology questions

N22YF

Hello everyone! I have a couple questions about the A-10A HUD symbology that I wasn't able to figure out from the manual.

First off: what's this number between the selected weapon and the slant range in meters (26909 in the below screenshot)? As far as I can tell, it's the sum of my MSL and AGL altitudes in feet, but... why?? How is that useful?

attachment.php?attachmentid=236156&stc=1&d=1589868726

My second question is: why is there sometimes a dashed line between the velocity vector and the cueing marker in CCRP mode? What's it trying to tell me?

attachment.php?attachmentid=236157&stc=1&d=1589868726

Thanks!

418742940_HUDnumber.thumb.png.5d7ccafc4b4b3e81aabc94c9d2f24a30.png

207090587_dashedline.png.40e0ed60ed9fc0dc48a627a7f8f816a5.png

Edited by N22YF

First let me say I am basically new to DCS World, and I can't tell what the first item means. But the second one with the Cueing Marker means that you are close to the release point but are NOT lined up to the path correctly for an accurate release on target. As you fly towards the target after setting a SPI, and coming back around to line up for release after using the O key, you should see it fall down the solid line and you have to adjust to make sure it follows the path and stays Solid as much as possible. Hope I did not confuse you? The first image I replicated what yours looked like by flying towards the target release point and NOT lined up. The second one I was lined up correctly and the SPI marker feel down the solid line almost perfect, and hit the targets.

Good luck! And have fun!

I also made a YouTube video also about setting the SPI and then flying back and turning on CCRP mode and flying to the drop! Set the SPI with the Target lock key or assigned controller button you assign as target lock.

1375783678_DesktopScreenshot2020_05.20-00_16_34_51.thumb.png.d26235003397e7ba9c880482b087f4ee.png

786914889_DesktopScreenshot2020_05.20-00_19_03_78.thumb.png.874f441a6037b1c11656ea2733e94391.png

Edited by in2tech

But the second one with the Cueing Marker means that you are close to the release point but are NOT lined up to the path correctly for an accurate release on target. As you fly towards the target after setting a SPI, and coming back around to line up for release after using the O key, you should see it fall down the solid line and you have to adjust to make sure it follows the path and stays Solid as much as possible. Hope I did not confuse you? The first image I replicated what yours looked like by flying towards the target release point and NOT lined up. The second one I was lined up correctly and the SPI marker feel down the solid line almost perfect, and hit the targets.

Good luck! And have fun!

I also made a YouTube video also about setting the SPI and then flying back and turning on CCRP mode and flying to the drop! Set the SPI with the Target lock key or assigned controller button you assign as target lock.

Thank you for your response! However, I didn't quite understand your explanation (or maybe I didn't explain myself well in my initial post) - in your video, you can see this dashed line between the velocity vector and the cueing marker from when the cueing marker begins descending at 1:27 until the bomb releases at 1:40 (even though the cueing marker is well-aligned with the PBRL - although my understanding is, it's important only that the cueing marker hits the middle of the pipper, regardless of how well it follows the PBRL), and again from 3:11 to 3:25. This dashed line never becomes solid - it's either not present, or it's dashed. (I'm not talking about the PBRL, which is the solid vertical line.)

(By the way, the SPI is only an A-10C thing; while of course the A-10A can designate targets, that's not the same thing as "setting a SPI" in terms of systems interactions, so it's not quite correct to refer to the designated target as the SPI in the A-10A.)

Huh, that number is MSL+AGL :huh:

Here's a guess: The math is wrong. It's supposed to be MSL-AGL. Which would give you the elevation of the terrain below the aircraft.

I think the dashed line is just a visual reference to help you find the "cueing marker"

Edited by randomTOTEN

Hello everyone! I have a couple questions about the A-10A HUD symbology that I wasn't able to figure out from the manual.

First off: what's this number between the selected weapon and the slant range in meters (26909 in the below screenshot)? As far as I can tell, it's the sum of my MSL and AGL altitudes in feet, but... why?? How is that useful?

attachment.php?attachmentid=236156&stc=1&d=1589868726

It's been awhile since I've been in the A-10A's pit but, with bombs selected, isn't that middle number supposed to be the slant range and the bottom one baro altitude?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Huh, that number is MSL+AGL :huh:

Here's a guess: The math is wrong. It's supposed to be MSL-AGL. Which would give you the elevation of the terrain below the aircraft.

I think the dashed line is just a visual reference to help you find the "cueing marker"

Thank you! I was worried that might be a bug, because ED has so much on their plate that I doubt we'll see a fix for a long time :( I'll look into it some more and probably collect some screenshots and post a bug report.

It's been awhile since I've been in the A-10A's pit but, with bombs selected, isn't that middle number supposed to be the slant range and the bottom one baro altitude?

The DCS A-10A manual claims those numbers are "terrain elevation and distance under the pipper" in meters, and the HUD diagram labels one of them as "Slant range to impact point in m." (When guns or rockets are selected, the middle number is described as "the barometric elevation, in meters, of the terrain below the weapon pipper" and the bottom number is described as "the range in meters to the terrain point underneath the weapon pipper".)

In the real-life A-10A, I believe there is only one number here, which is the target elevation (selectable in either feet or meters).