Skullz Genuine Huey Sound Mod

sSkullZnBoneZz

Introducing Skullz Genuine Huey Sounds

by Skullz of the 1st Cav Div (Virtual)

Background

I am an avid UH1 Huey fan. My love for this helicopter started when I was a kid growing up around Fayetteville, NC and living in an area where they constantly flew over my house on their way to and from Ft Bragg and Simmons Army Airfield. Also, watching all the Vietnam movies that were out at the time devopled that passion even more. I wanted to be a Huey pilot when I grew up but my eyesight prevented me from even attempting to get into Army aviation. So, when the Belsimtek Huey was announced I was like a kid at Christmas anticipating its release. That day finally came and a childhood dream finally realized—at least ‘virtually’.

Early Stage

Once the newness wore off the Belsimtek Huey, I began to notice the startup didn’t sound realistic to me. I watched a few YouTube videos of Hueys starting up and quickly realized how off the startup in the sim was. So, I decided I wanted to make a realistic startup sound mod. I tinkered with the startup sound for months. I spent hours upon hours watching videos and getting feedback from actual Huey pilots.

The Project Begins

During the development of the start up sound mod, I watched more videos; the more I watched the more I realized how unrealistic the whole sound in the sim was. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to bash Belsimtek, after all they had to create the entire aircraft and they did an outstanding job, but the sound is too arcade-like for my taste. So, the project morphed into something more than a mere startup sound mod. Since those early days I have been working on capturing all the sounds of the Huey and making it into a complete sound mod. This project has taken the better part of 2 years, working on it in my spare time, testing, re-testing, tweaking and pestering other members of 1st Cav Div to test it. As a perfectionist I have been relentlessly chasing the perfect blend of sounds to create a depth of detail that hasn’t been created by any other sound modder to date. I can’t list everything in the aircraft that makes a sound—I probably couldn’t tell you what particular part makes what particular sound, aside from the basics like rotors, engine, etc. I can only say that the sound is there—you’ll just have to hear it for yourself.

That being said, here is a short list of what's represented in the mod:

• Main rotor blades have that distinctive and famous thump at a distance. As the helicopter approaches the thump gets louder and disappears as the aircraft flies by, just like the real Huey.

• Authentic transmission whine and engine sounds

• Authentic ‘blade slap’ sound

• Startup is realistic and sounds like the real aircraft

• Shutdown is realistic and sounds like the real aircraft

• All weapons have been replaced with real sounds

Comparing the real Huey to my sound mod:

Flyby using my mod:

Flyby of a real Huey:

Startup and Idle using my sound mod:

Startup of a real huey:

The ultimate goal of this project is to create the most realistic sound possible within the constraints of DCS World and Belsimtek’s Huey module, I could do a lot more with it if there were more options available for sound in the sim. I welcome all feedback from current or former UH1 pilots or crewmembers.

Having said that, I will forewarn you. This mod is meant to be realistic, it's loud in the cockpit and outside the cockpit. Some members of the 1st Cav Div told me that the sound in the cockpit was so loud it was overwhelming till they got used to it. You may want to adjust your speaker volume before using it the first time.

I’d like to thank the all the members of the 1st Cav Div (Virtual) for helping me test the mod and giving feedback throughout its 2 year development, but there are a few who had invaluable feedback due to real word experience:

• Flyer, a former U.S. Army UH1 pilot/instructor pilot

• Shek, a current Bell 205/UH1 pilot

• Samri, a former Australian Army UH1 pilot/instructor pilot

• GunfighterSix, a current UH60 Blackhawk pilot

***This mod no longer requires JSGM, just drop the sound folder into your DCS World Saved Games folder.***

Change Log:

08/10/2020

* Added support for DSC World 2.5.6, to install just drop sounds folder into DCS Saved Games folder.

* Tweaked sound to eliminate a slight sound anamoly

04/26/2016

* Startup sound edited

* New tail rotor sound and tail rotor volume increased

* New cockpit sound

* Added a dynamic tail rotor sound that is only heard when flying above 50-60 knots--you'll just have to test it out.

04/10/2016

* Removed high frequency noise in startup sound

03/17/2016

* Added vibration sound to the cockpit noise for more detailed sound, apparently Hueys are rattle traps

03/11/16

* Adjusted startup sound and adjusted the outer radius to 800 meters

* Fixed miniguns; inside sound was actually the outside sound and no outside sound at all.

* Decreased volume of in cockpit sounds

* Added a faint in-cockpit vibration sound to in-cockpit noises

* More tweaks to startup sound

03/11/16

* Adjusted startup sound and adjusted the outer radius to 800 meters

* Fixed miniguns; inside sound was actually the outside sound and no outside sound at all.

* Decreased volume of in cockpit sounds

* Added a faint vibration sound to in cockpit noises

02/18/2016

* Increased the in-cockpit rockets sound volume

* Decreased the in-cockpit M60 sound volume

* Decreased the outside miniguns sound volume

02/04/2016

* Increased volume of distant thump

* Removed a bug in distant thump that caused a snapping sound to be heard

* Reduced volume of distant thump after aircraft passes by and flies away.

* Changed Startup Sound

**NEW LINK ADDED 08-10-2020**

Download here:

https://mega.nz/file/0JBwnaTY#fXK6uS7TIRAnfFPIjk7_FV5R7PN1b-eSWti4NtHuR4o

Edited by sSkullZnBoneZz
test
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

TM F/A-18 Stick | Virpil WarBRD | WinWIng F/A-18 HOTAS

excellent! I'll download and try it out today. thank you all for your efforts! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Nice of you to share it with all, its an amazing mod that I use exclusively really adds to the immersion:thumbup:

Thanks man, glad to share it.

Liquid Cooled i9 11900K | GeForce RTX 2080 | 32 gig RAM | SSD Samsung 850 EVO | HP Reverb G2

Brilliant Work. THE BEST so far ( I've tested all the sound mod for huey once there is a new one)

Thank you so much !

much more realism and immersion wich such a good sound package ! love the interior sound clap clap and little attention to details, probably like the real one ;-) ;-) ;-)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Brilliant Work. THE BEST so far ( I've tested all the sound mod for huey once there is a new one)

Thank you so much !

much more realism and immersion wich such a good sound package ! love the interior sound clap clap and little attention to details, probably like the real one ;-) ;-) ;-)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks a lot!

May you post a before after vid?

I have some video but YouTube was taking too long to upload. Hopefully I'll be able to upload them soon. In the mean time, try it out and see if you like it.

This is a great mod.

i am just uploading a before and after to youtube and will pop them on here for you in a min.

but be warned lol im no helicopter pilot so you may need a sick bag lol

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

This is a great mod.

i am just uploading a before and after to youtube and will pop them on here for you in a min.

but be warned lol im no helicopter pilot so you may need a sick bag lol

Thanks for uploading those videos. I have mine loaded in the first post now.

As with most of sound mods it depends on the listeners ears/brain/sound system/sound volumes setup.

And to complicate even more the problem, the sounds we are analyzing are sounds that usually are very loud, close to noise and are listened usually through ear protections and headphones with radio chatter/noise. Also the sources are not always "scientifically sound" sic... but a lot of movies (which have the sounds edited like heck) and youtube flicks "program" our brain to expect the sound of x thing in a certain way.

For me, the default ones are very nice. I think from 1.5/2.0 they add more rattle and chop-chop sound and they "look" authentic enough... for me.

Sometimes different does not automatically means better... just different. Like a different spice...

Of course... to each is own but that is "my two cents" on the problem.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

As with most of sound mods it depends on the listeners ears/brain/sound system/sound volumes setup.

And to complicate even more the problem, the sounds we are analyzing are sounds that usually are very loud, close to noise and are listened usually through ear protections and headphones with radio chatter/noise. Also the sources are not always "scientifically sound" sic... but a lot of movies (which have the sounds edited like heck) and youtube flicks "program" our brain to expect the sound of x thing in a certain way.

For me, the default ones are very nice. I think from 1.5/2.0 they add more rattle and chop-chop sound and they "look" authentic enough... for me.

Sometimes different does not automatically means better... just different. Like a different spice...

Of course... to each is own but that is "my two cents" on the problem.

Thanks! I'm glad you're happy with subpar sound the default game provides.

• Like 1

gun sounds sound odd, have no idea which one is closer to the real thing but they are completely different each other

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

gun sounds sound odd, have no idea which one is closer to the real thing but they are completely different each other

All sounds were taken from video of real thing.

It will take some time for people to realize what is the right sound when we have heard a certain sound and standard for so long. Ive been in many Huey's this sound mod sounds the closest to what i have heard. I really wish Dcs world would add the Peltors type ear protection devices to the actual sound engine. Another for the wish list.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S