DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

This could be a problem with a previous install of a teamspeak addon, i had a addon in some file that was blocking mine, se further back in the thread were it was actually solved.

Sounds exactly like the problem i had

Excellent advice mate. You are completely right. I uninstalled and reinstalled TS and everything is ok now.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

One issue that I found is if multiple channels are used at the same time SP is like switching all the time between them and it sound like it stutters

Yes I've noticed that .

Perhaps setting radio channels to audio left/right might help simultaneous playback, for two channels at least.

Some kind of mixing would be better.

Watching Blue Flag there's often GCI and 2 flight members talking over each other.

We found a bug with SR. When two people transmit on different channels both come in garbled.

Thanks for these reports, I'm investigating. Interestingly its not all the time so it looks like its due to Round trip times. There is an audio mixer, and it does work testing locally so it looks like I need to bring back the Jitter buffer! I'll also try reducing the opus encoding quality. I'll do a release later in the week and then get back on the GCI panel.

Ciribob, First and foremost, Thank you for all the work you have put into the Simple Radio project. My vSquadron has been using the Standalone Radio for a few days now. One thing I have noticed in my last two flights is that the comms seem to go to "sleep" and stop working if not used for a while. Both pilots have to reinitialize the radios by pressing all of the PTT keys for the jet to re-establish radio communications. In my case this was present in the A-10C. Sorry in advance if this has already been reported previously.

-R

I've been trying to cause this but I've yet to replicate - Will keep investigating but in theory there is a ping that should keep the NAT mapping open on a router. Not sure why its not for you.... Will keep looking!

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

I've been trying to cause this but I've yet to replicate - Will keep investigating but in theory there is a ping that should keep the NAT mapping open on a router. Not sure why its not for you.... Will keep looking!

Thank you for the quick reply. I just wanted to clarify that it's not just me experiencing this problem. We have others that have posted about it as well. Do you mean a ping to keep the NAT active such as a packet transfer? Another member asked if it may be an IMCP handling problem with routers for the computers the SR Radio Server is running on. Thanks again!

-R

Edited by Reaper73

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Sabertooth Z97, 4790K @ 4.4Ghz, Corsair H110 CPU Cooler, EVGA 750XR power supply, 2XEVGA 780GTX 6GB, 16GB GSkill DDR3, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD(OS), WD 1 TB SATA (Storage), WD 3 TB SATA (Storage),Win 10 x64, ASUS 27" LED, Planar 24" Touch Screen (Helios Glass Cockpit), TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Track IR 5

GCI panel? What is the plan, what would/should it improve?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Again, thank you so much for your awesome work.

Sadly, today wasn't a good day for me in DCS (besides getting my first kills in OP Blue Flag :) ), because SRS stopped working for me. I don't really know what happened, since it worked just fine yesterday and I did not change anything.

For some reason I can't bring up the overlay no matter what I do and therefore can't change frequencies. If I toggle the overlay on I can see it when "alt-tab"ing and on the start bar, but as soon as I click on it it brings me back to DCS and the overlay is not shown. When DCS is not running nothing at all happens when I try to alt-tab to the overlay. I have tried all I could think of short of reinstalling DCS. Downloaded the latest SRS version, deleted the SRS stuff in the DCS folders, uninstalled, installed SRS again. I even uninstalled TS because I thought it could cause the problem. Sadly nothing helped. What I did not try today and will try tomorrow is to hop into my A10C and look whether i can change frequencies etc. with the radio there. that way I can see whether SRS is working and its only the overlay or if the problem is more complicated.

Did anyone else encounter a similar problem yet?

In my case, i'm able to map any button in my ch hotas, including povs. TM MFDs buttons are not recognised, although.

I have a similar problem: None of the buttons on my throttle are being recognized. (Suncom SFS converted to USB with Arduino and MMJoy2).

However, the buttons were still recognized in version 1.1.0.0 so maybe it is related with the reintroduction of keyboard support and the fixes for the other joysticks/throttles?

I cleared all the keybindings, deleted and reinstalled simple radio but nothing worked so far…

Anyway, my PPT button is on the joystick (which is recognized fine) and up to now I never had to change radio in the middle of a dogfight so it is not such a big problem…

Another question: is there any way to have the overlay working with DCS being in full screen mode? I just see the overlay when DCS is windowed. When I alt+enter to fullscreen it disappears, which is a true pitty since windowed DCS just isn’t fluent for me.

Last but not least thank you for this nice tool! Compared to TS it adds much more to the immersion when flying and it made me learn how to use the radios in the MI-8! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Found an issue with the overlay.

If you drag it to the top of the screen it tries to force it into a horizontal layout, which causes most of it to be cut off.

The only way I found to undo it is to delete the height and width radio settings in the registry.

There should be something to lock the overlay's width height ratio, it might also prevent the triple monitor bug.

Hey Ciribob. I have a question for you there, or one could say a request for feature.

I don't know if this was already asked or maybe already in the works, but would it be hard to make it work with some command line parameters. In particular I fancy connecting on start up without clicking connect :D

• Like 1

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

If you drag it to the top of the screen it tries to force it into a horizontal layout, which causes most of it to be cut off.

The only way I found to undo it is to delete the height and width radio settings in the registry.

There should be something to lock the overlay's width height ratio, it might also prevent the triple monitor bug.

Wow, thanks dude! After trying everything to get my overlay back I read your post and went on to delete all SRS registry files. Uninstalled and installed again and... ... ... it works again :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wow, thanks dude! After trying everything to get my overlay back I read your post and went on to delete all SRS registry files. Uninstalled and installed again and... ... ... it works again :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Deleting the Radio Height and Radio Width would have done the job, but I'm glad you got it fixed!

Deleting the Radio Height and Radio Width would have done the job, but I'm glad you got it fixed!

I was about to reinstall the entire dcs client :D So I am more than happy that such a simple fix worked. Don't know how it got messed up in the first place though, can't remember that I changed anything. My issue was a little bit different from yours since I could not see the overlay at all.

In the F15 i can not select a low frequency? Is this normal?

It will only allow you to select a frequency within the range that the radio you have selected can tune.

you have two UHF radios in the F-15C both capable of tuning between 225.00 - 399.99 Mhz

If the frequency you want is outside of that, the a/c can not communicate with it.

GCI panel? What is the plan, what would/should it improve?

Gives the GCI / AWACS up to 10 radios to play with :)

I have a similar problem: None of the buttons on my throttle are being recognized. (Suncom SFS converted to USB with Arduino and MMJoy2).

Another question: is there any way to have the overlay working with DCS being in full screen mode? I just see the overlay when DCS is windowed. When I alt+enter to fullscreen it disappears, which is a true pitty since windowed DCS just isn’t fluent for me.

Can you send me your client logs? If i can find out what your device identifies as I can possibly add it again but it will require careful testing so I don't break the X52/X55s

For the second question, once you hit Alt+enter nothing can go ontop unfortunately. Long long long term goal is to inject a cut down overlay in game using DirectX but not for many months!

Thanks! It should be a fixed aspect ratio but obviously not... I'll have a look.

Thanks for posting the reg fix as well, I meant to add emergency button to clear saved overlay position but forgot. It also shows the uninstaller isn't removing the entries which I forgot to add as well.

Hey Ciribob. I have a question for you there, or one could say a request for feature.

I don't know if this was already asked or maybe already in the works, but would it be hard to make it work with some command line parameters. In particular I fancy connecting on start up without clicking connect :D

I'll add to the list but not for a while :)

Are there any plans to add mic click sounds?

Yes but not for a while.

Quick Update!

Line of sight - This I thought would be an epic quest.... but actually maybe not!

I already use the GameGUI API to get client coalition and you can issue commands to be run in the DCS mission environment so i tested this:

SRS.checkLOS = function(_playerPoint,_targetPoint)

local str = "  trigger.action.outText('Is Visible: ' .. tostring(land.isVisible({x=1,y=1,z=1}, {x=1,y=1,z=1})), 5,false)"

net.dostring_in('server', str)

local str = "  trigger.action.outText('Not Visible: ' .. tostring(land.isVisible({x=1,y=1,z=1}, {x=-1000,y=-1000,z=-1000})), 5,false)"

net.dostring_in('server', str)
end

Which actually returns True for the first one and False for the second which shows I can do the same Ray Tracing I did anyway as part of a few of other scripts (JTAC one in particular).

Its still not plain sailing as this may not be performant but that can all be worked around.

The exciting thing is, no shadow maps or anything like that, no large map in memory as its just using the existing DCS one!

Syncing the player positions shouldn't be too hard and a first pass will always be player distance in the radio client before checking LOS in DCS which should reduce the calls. If they're batched so say only 5-10 positions are checked every second to all connected clients that gives a min and max time of 6-12 seconds for a populated server of 60 clients (if all 60 were all radio range).

I will try checking one client every tick (which by default is 30 I think) and tune from there. Line of sight and distance limitations will be a server side enforced option as well.

No real progress this week on the Radio other than the snippet above - Will hopefully have more time in a week or so as real life (work and Weddings) are happening :)

As a result of this discovery, the order has now changed to:

• Fix Registry Deleting
  • Fix overlay aspect ratio
  • Implement better jitter buffer
  • Reduce Opus encoding frequency
  • Release
  • Implement LOS + Distance Limitations - Configurable by server
  • Release
  • GCI Panel - Simple Version
  • Release
  • Sound, Advanced effects, Better GCI panel
  • ???

Hopefully this means I can do LOS within a month or so.

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Just a quickie... I am wondering whether it would be possible to use a Saitek radio panel to control the overlay?

you might be able to now, I don't have the radio panel but have the Multi-Panel and just map the buttons to keystrokes.

To use the Radio panel you would need DCS Bios and ProUSBPanels. Unfortunately ProUSBPanels is no longer being developed unless someone took over I think and DCS Bios does not support all modules yet but certainly if you had the A-10C, UH-1 or Mig-21 it would be worth a try. Let us know if it works

Just a quick question , How can i update to the new version of Simple Radio? do i just install the new one and it will overwrite the old one or what to do?

Yes just run the installer from the latest version. It'll update everything that needs to be changed.

You can also install manually as well, instructions on the first post :)

Hi ciribob,

maybe I'm doing something wrong or there are some settings not right but I can't get it to work that I hear people without transmitting on my own once in a while. When I'm done setting everything up (aircraft, radios, sr) I don't hear any transmission even though I'm on the right frequency. I then have to transmit myself (just press ptt once) to receive transmission e.g. hear other players speaking. If this would occur only once it wouldn't be a problem. But sometimes during a flight on blueflag I notice that I haven't heard GCI or any other player for a while. After pressing PTT I receive transmissions again, most of the time even almost immediately because someone is transmitting at that moment.

I don't know whats wrong here but I happened so often to me that I'm sure to say that it is not my imagination (could be just radio silence). I can't be a coincidence that the moment I press PTT I hear transmissions again.

Could there be some wrong settings? Closed ports anything? I love SR but this drives me mad.

*edit: Sorry, I saw this was reported before :(

Edited by Heesh

Didnt work for me.

Had to delete SRS and also delete both reg folders for SRS and SRS-SRV followed by a reboot and then reinstall, that brought the overlay back :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X