Why the HUD data in a MFD?

Mule

The HUD is completely clear in NVGs they work together flawlessly but I can understand keeping the repeater near the Radar so you get an easy to read head down instrument while using the Radar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The HUD is completely clear in NVGs they work together flawlessly but I can understand keeping the repeater near the Radar so you get an easy to read head down instrument while using the Radar.

Interesting. Gives a whole new meaning to the expression look-down/shoot-down.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 4 weeks later...

It's for redundancy, in case the HUD display actually fails. The standby instruments are placed way down the front console and would be a pain to constantly reference during IFR and night.

If the HUD is working normally then you would never have the hud repeated on the DDIs unless you were on autopilot and was doing some serious heads-down map reading on the HSI and kneeboard wanted to glance at the DDI to verify altitiude and speed are still good.

-retired f18 pilot

JHMCS (pronouced J-Himmicks) is always on. How would I know? Ask the guys who fix it, because the pilots will surely tell you when it's broken.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

It's for redundancy, in case the HUD display actually fails. The standby instruments are placed way down the front console and would be a pain to constantly reference during IFR and night.

If the HUD is working normally then you would never have the hud repeated on the DDIs unless you were on autopilot and was doing some serious heads-down map reading on the HSI and kneeboard wanted to glance at the DDI to verify altitiude and speed are still good.

-retired f18 pilot

Thanks!

A little more detail on redundancy, if the HUD fails, switching to the DDI HUD is easier for the pilot to do since all the information is displayed in the same format. As opposed to if the HUD failed and switching to the stand by instruments (steam gauges) it would take some mental switching gears - which would not be good during night or IFR ops.

My buddy who flew with VFA-37, had a No HUD carrier landing at night, and got his only OK pass ever.

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

Bingo, we have a winner. Military pilots spend a lot of time "head down" in their radars and other sensors, this allows them to still see critical flight info without looking up. I was told this by a very experienced USAF F-22 flight instructor.

I have wondered why a Su-27 etc have their SPI-15 RWR at bottom instead just next to HUD. And only logic I have is that when you are maneuvering high G, it is easier to look slightly down so your important instruments are still in vision cone.

This is something we don't have in DCS, we can freely move a head and body instead tightly strapped to seat or semi-tightly that is limiting capability look at six (ie why F-16 bubble starting at elbow is so great vs F-18 that is deeper and blocked more at six) and especially when pulling higher G forces we can just look around like nothing affecting us.

A HUD repeater became important for me in VR as it makes landings far more easier in hars weather as snow doesnt cause problems for focusing. And same time it is easier to do avoidance maneuvers when RWR is at low.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 5 months later...
Yeah, I know but why? Is there a specific reason for that?

We had this conversation here many times :)

A HUD repeater is extremely useful. As Skate said, you could be looking down, you don't have time to look at the HUD, having a HUD repeater helps quite a bit in this situation.

Also in real life, you'd probably have some difficulties to understand the HUD under specific conditions. The HUD is focused to infinity, and sometimes you need to refocus it. You don't have to do that with the repeater (Head down display - HDD).

uXVHwMANFFg?t=7m12s

at 7:12

Guys, what mean "WE will not ARROW BRAKE" in this context?

Edited by SandMartin

Мой youtube канал Группа в VK 

IBM x3200 Tower, i7 9700k, Asus Z390-P, HyperX Fury DDR4 2x16Gb 3466 Mhz, HyperX Savage 480Gb SSD, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC 8G, 32" Asus PG329Q, Creative Sound Blaster AE-5, HyperX Cloud Alpha + Pulsefire FPS Pro + Alloy FPS brown, Track IR 4 PRO + Clip Pro, Warhog HOTAS + CH Pro Pedal + есть руль Logitech G25

Aerobrake. Meaning holding the nose up and letting the air resistance slow the plane down during the landing run.

Thanx alot man!

Мой youtube канал Группа в VK 

IBM x3200 Tower, i7 9700k, Asus Z390-P, HyperX Fury DDR4 2x16Gb 3466 Mhz, HyperX Savage 480Gb SSD, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC 8G, 32" Asus PG329Q, Creative Sound Blaster AE-5, HyperX Cloud Alpha + Pulsefire FPS Pro + Alloy FPS brown, Track IR 4 PRO + Clip Pro, Warhog HOTAS + CH Pro Pedal + есть руль Logitech G25