Hornet Sound

JABO2009

• ED Team

ED has some professional high quality sound recording equipment (whose last trip was in the cockpit of a Spitfire), I am sure most YouTube vids (and the devices they are played back on) are not high quality for the most part.

on real world experience and media material :)... and dont tell me that cameras dont capture the sound as it is because while thats "true", the missing parts in recordings use to be things like quality, dynamic range, response and such but the "signature", so to speak, of the sound IS the one you experience irl if distortion is not too high and you have good devices to reproduce that recording... but even using a laptop speakers that "signature" of the sound is there in a youtube video for instance and missing in DCS.

anyway it would be important to pinpoint what external sound exactly we are talking about... in my case, I refering to the external sounds being the observer static (and considering the interaction of the ground, which is obviously the more common way people will hear planes irl), so basically "fly by" sounds which is a different thing of being a few meters away from a flying jet like in the F2 camera...

cheers

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

once again, I not talking about sound quality nor the quality of the recording equipment because that has nothing to do with "what" are you recording and "how" are you mixing the sounds...

do you really think that right now dcs external sound, sounds like this (the "nature of the sound", sorry but I dont know how to define it in english) :

• Like 1

Take a look at my MODS here

once again, I not talking about sound quality nor the quality of the recording equipment because that has nothing to do with "what" are you recording and "how" are you mixing the sounds...

do you really think that right now dcs external sound, sounds like this (the "nature of the sound", sorry but I dont know how to define it in english) :

Having been to many airshows, I know what you are talking about.

The Mirage does this best in this regard, but the new hornet sounds are almost as "roaring" especially when you crank up the volume and do a fly-by.

The Mirage has problems with being too loud for the sim, since you can hear the roar in the cockpit and when taxiing. Based on what I've heard/seen with the new AI hornet sounds, ED have found a good balance between the two.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

• ED Team

I have little issue with the sounds coming out of ED right now, I have no worries about the Hornet as well. I have heard plenty of Hornets at airshows, not that I care about what it sounds like with me standing on the ground. And I think it has a lot to do with the recording of the sounds and the mixing of them, but many people are tainted by YouTube and other things.

There is also a lot to be said for how those sounds are played back, how good your stuff is, how good my stuff is, how much is lost in transition... Sometimes you seem to try too hard to be that guy to find something "wrong" and here we are and we dont even have the Hornet yet...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Here is an estimate... we are a day closer to release ;)

hahahaha, :megalol: thats for sure :pilotfly::joystick:

Having been to many airshows, I know what you are talking about.

The Mirage does this best in this regard, but the new hornet sounds are almost as "roaring" especially when you crank up the volume and do a fly-by.

The Mirage has problems with being too loud for the sim, since you can hear the roar in the cockpit and when taxiing. Based on what I've heard/seen with the new AI hornet sounds, ED have found a good balance between the two.

Thats is something I really wait for years. I never had the feeling to watch a Fighterjet Flyby when beeing on the Ground. The sound was always simply not "Rooaarrr" enough :D.

I really hope that this will change with the new modules. The Mirage really has made a huge step forward in that matter

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

+1

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

[...] Based on what I've heard/seen with the new AI hornet sounds, ED have found a good balance between the two.

I'm glad you said this as I just had the impression the AI sound of the Hornets have changed, but I can't remember having read anything about it in the release notes.

I do have a big SP mission with 24 hornets (and 8 Tornados) supporting my flight of 4 viggens in attacking the Kuznestov carrier and its supporting ships. After I fire my Rb-15Fs and turn back away from the carrier (on autopilot) I tend to watch the hornets through the F2 view. Recently I thought the hornet sound had changed and I found it to be much better than before. Glad to hear that my perception wasn't too far off...:megalol:

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure the sounds of the Hornet will be good in this sim.

But the one sound that has rarely been captured or simulated is coming in at 400+ kts with engines to idle and making the carrier break at the airfield.

It is one of the prettiest sounds you will ever hear, I know, I have heard it a few times and done it a few times in my career.

Hearing the jet tear through the air at that speed with minimal jet noise is gorgeous and is hard to forget. And I was determined to do it whenever I could safely get away with it.

It's rare because it's not allowed but you can get away with it on the weekends when there is no other air traffic :pilotfly:

Whisper Pass...

I stand corrected, didn't realize it was so common that it has a name.

I haven't attended an air show in ages so I didn't realize they incorporated that move.

Still can't beat a quiet sunday afternoon being interrupted by a 400kt whisper break at the base. :thumbup:

Update: Funny thing though, all the videos I searched it looks like the pilots are trying too hard with the speed because it still doesn't sound right (maybe too fast).

When it's done right you barely here the background roar of the engines, you just hear this long moan/howl-like sound with little jet noise.

It could be because when doing it for a carrier break, the engines stay at idle for a long time due to slowing down to land which is opposite of what they are doing at the airshows, they momentarily go to idle then rev it up right after passing the crowd thereby spoiling the effect. :(

Edited by neofightr

I stand corrected, didn't realize it was so common that it has a name.

I haven't attended an air show in ages so I didn't realize they incorporated that move.

Still can't beat a quiet sunday afternoon being interrupted by a 400kt whisper break at the base. :thumbup:

Update: Funny thing though, all the videos I searched it looks like the pilots are trying to hard with the speed because it still doesn't sound right (maybe too fast).

When it's done right you barely here the background roar of the engines, you just hear this long moan-like sound with little jet noise.

It could be because when doing it for a carrier break, the engines stay at idle for a long time because you are slowing down to land which is opposite of what they are doing at the airshows, they momentarily go to idle then rev it up right after passing the crowd thereby spoiling the effect. :(

In the tactical demo, it's called the inverted whisper pass, as they cross show line inverted...

Tactical demo carrier breaks, they goto Afterburner.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

In the tactical demo, it's called the inverted whisper pass, as they cross show line inverted...

Tactical demo carrier breaks, they goto Afterburner.

Yeah I saw the inverted pass. Not sure why they call it a whisper pass because in one of the videos even the announcer admits it aint that quiet, :lol:

The more I think of it the more convinced I am that the carrier break at idle is rare at airshows and like I said the sound is unique during the break. The sound might actually be unique to the C model because of the smaller intakes channeling in the air at high speed.

Yeah I saw the inverted pass. Not sure why they call it a whisper pass because in one of the videos even the announcer admits it aint that quiet, :lol:

The more I think of it the more convinced I am that the carrier break at idle is rare at airshows and like I said the sound is unique during the break. The sound might actually be unique to the C model because of the smaller intakes channeling in the air at high speed.

Because the pilot did a high speed pass... I've seen that video...

none of the airshow passes will be without any jet noise distortion sounds.

even then, camera phones and home video cameras dont exactly have the best mics on them for air shows. 90% of the noise in home videos of airshows is the fact that the ambient is high and the mic is too small and cheap to handle it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Because the pilot did a high speed pass... I've seen that video...

none of the airshow passes will be without any jet noise distortion sounds.

even then, camera phones and home video cameras dont exactly have the best mics on them for air shows. 90% of the noise in home videos of airshows is the fact that the ambient is high and the mic is too small and cheap to handle it.

Not sure what your point is. Our conversation started with you stating "whisper pass" and my point to that statement is what I am talking about is not what has been shown at air shows from all the videos I have seen with the label of whisper pass.

Whether it is a high speed pass mistakenly called a whisper pass by the announcer/caption or poor mics with background noises we are definitely talking about two separate things.

In any case I look forward to the sounds of the Hornet in this game.

i know the sound you're talking about,

the closest you'll find on video is prolly the blue angels 6 ship carrier break.

• 2 months later...

best way to get sounds is not from airshows,

too many external noise sources (crowd chatter, camera shutters, PA announcers, generators for booths, etc etc etc).

I believe the best way to get fly by ground sounds whether they be full power or the whisper hum is by setting up a group of spaced Pro Directional Mics on the ground (At least 4 in a squar pattern facing in creating an ability to record all stages (approach, over pass, and departure of the aircraft), and have the Aircraft do single ship fly bys, and combine those recordings into a single audio file.

EA-18G Growler transiting Rainbow Canyon/Jedi Transition ------- notice the sound at time 00:07...

I hear Camera Shutters.. lol.