Slack on TM HOTAS Warthog? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
Slammin

Send a message via ICQ to Slammin

First, your stick should not have come with the housing plate detached from the stick. That's crazy! Second, the design is such that there can NEVER be any type of slack play.

If you have play, it is due to a mechanical issue that would be way outside the original design, or it could be a calibration issue. This design should NEVER develop play. Period, unless there are loose screws somewhere.

I know that TM has some kind of calibrating software out there for the Hog but I'm not sure how many have it, or even needed it.

Either way, if your unit arrived dissaembled like that, you should probably RMA it. That sounds very strange!
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #12
hassata
Veteran

I think everyone should calibrate at least once as a slight right of center bias was reported by many people with an out of the bog WH.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...ibrate+warthog
Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
LostOblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin View Post
First, your stick should not have come with the housing plate detached from the stick. That's crazy! Second, the design is such that there can NEVER be any type of slack play.

If you have play, it is due to a mechanical issue that would be way outside the original design, or it could be a calibration issue. This design should NEVER develop play. Period, unless there are loose screws somewhere.

I know that TM has some kind of calibrating software out there for the Hog but I'm not sure how many have it, or even needed it.

Either way, if your unit arrived dissaembled like that, you should probably RMA it. That sounds very strange!
Well, I'm pretty sure it's ment to come in seperate parts, me having to attach the stick onto the housing on the plate, as the boxing forms it came with had the parts resting neatly in it. Maybe they just changed the boxing since when you bought it.

As seen here:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/...cae5595a6e.jpg

It's not a calibration issue, as there is just slack making me roll slightly to one side or the other, depending if I rest my hand on it slightly to the left or right while flying perfectly trimmed straight and level.
LostOblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Sarge55

That's how mine came as well LostOblivion

i7 3770K OC 4.4GHZ / H100 Cooler / 120GB & 240GB SSD's & 1TB HDD / ASUS Sabertooth MB / GTX 980 / 16GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog
Sarge55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
bartleby

I have the same thing, LostOblivion. Just got my Warthog about a week or two ago. Mine came with the housing plate attached.

Using the device analyzer, it appears to be a give from 0 to about -100 only in the x-axis. No play in the y-axis. Keep us updated on what feedback you get, please!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Vapour

@ LostOblivion, mine has exactly the same slack that yours does, the movement still registers ingame so it's not a dead spot. Keep us posted how you get on, i'm considering phoning TM customer services for advice.
Vapour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
sofie_59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOblivion View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure it's ment to come in seperate parts, me having to attach the stick onto the housing on the plate, as the boxing forms it came with had the parts resting neatly in it. Maybe they just changed the boxing since when you bought it.

As seen here:

It's not a calibration issue, as there is just slack making me roll slightly to one side or the other, depending if I rest my hand on it slightly to the left or right while flying perfectly trimmed straight and level.
My two warthogs came as in picture to. You must do a RMA.
Or do a search for a post on how to take the joystick apart and look if there is something loose inside it. That is what i would do first before a RMA.

Register and fill in a support ticket if you have nt done it yet.
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=files_faq
sofie_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #18
LostOblivion

I did send TM a message asking whether this is normal or not. I have also required an RMA from my reseller.

I am not going to attempt to fiddle with the thing myself, though, as most resellers will claim the warranty is void and reject my request if they think I've opened it myself.

Having said that, it's probably just a loose screw. I'll keep you posted.

Do you guys have any slack at all, or do you feel resistance right at the mm when you move it? I.e. is there absolutely no slack whatsoever?

Last edited by LostOblivion; 05-17-2011 at 12:20 AM.
LostOblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #19
Slammin

Send a message via ICQ to Slammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOblivion View Post

As seen here:

I'm sorry Bro, I misunderstood you when you said the mounting plate came separated. Yes, the stick ships unattached from the base. The Cougar shipped the same way.

What I thought you meant is that the flat plate shipped apart from the base, and that would definitely be a red flag.

It sounds more like you are getting registered movement, but a lack of resistance. Again, the design itself makes that almost impossible. There is one HUGE spring that provides most of the resistance beyond center, and 4 smaller springs that prevent resistance-slack at center. I guess those 4 smaller springs could be missing, and that would result in what you are seeing.

I'll be very curious in how this turns out but I would definitely RMA it. Don't be too brazen and open the stick to take a look unless you know what you are doing because if you screw up when putting it back together, you WILL break a wire :-)

Don't ask......
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
Vapour

OK, i've just been chatting to TM customer support, they have told me the slack is not normal and I should send it back to the retailer (Amazon) where I bought it from.

I just phoned Amazon, they are posting me out a new Hog using first class post. Result.
Vapour is offline   Reply With Quote