Are the new updates planned to take into account night warfare and laser coding setti

kaoqumba

Change my mind ED...

Yeah, I really can't see paying for a THIRD remake of BS without FLIR.

Sick of only being able to fly day missions.

+1

The following is a must in the new Ka-50:

1- RWR.

2- FLIR.

3- A-A Missiles.

4- IR jammer.

5- 6 Wings Hard Points.

Without ALL of those not sure why to buy!!!

Edited by Murey2

Well, Chizh is saying no FLIR, so disappointed with it all.

Maybe we can make a FLIR mod. It's on the A-10C, so maybe we can bring that code into the Shark. I just want to be able to target at night with FLIR.

+1

The following is a must in the new Ka-50:

1- RWR.

2- FLIR.

3- A-A Missiles.

4- IR jammer.

5- 6 Wings Hard Points.

Without ALL of those not sure why to buy!!!

EXACTLY. Otherwise, what has really changed?

it is a good question. The laser code option should be there for Ka-50. Also Su-25A/T should be updated with this option to put Ka-50v3 in a very fun and useful task as laser pointer for russian fixed wing.

+1. Would like to see that also.

Really, this chopper hasn't change in ELEVEN YEARS.

Edited by 3WA

"I just want to be able to target at night with FLIR."

LOL.

No.

That's NOT all you want.

You say that, then quote -

"The following is a must in the new Ka-50:

1- RWR.

2- FLIR.

3- A-A Missiles.

4- IR jammer.

5- 6 Wings Hard Points.

Without ALL of those not sure why to buy!!!"

And then reply

"EXACTLY. Otherwise, what has really changed?"

You aren't fooling anyone.

You're like a spoiled kid. You want an OP KA50 with laser-sharks on it's head.

THANK YOU CHIZH FOR STAYING TRUE TO DCS AND NOT CAVING TO THE WHIMPERING CHILDREN. I know... some would debate that and that's OK :)... I think we can at least agree that if funding hadn't been the primary limiting factor... The KA-50 would have eventually been something super similar to the KA-50ED.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm pretty sure you're confusing me with someone else :). I'll buy the new Heli on day 0. Maybe before if I can find out how.

I mean aside from me saying you act like a spoiled child. That's my opinion :). Just like yours is that we should have an OP toy for you to go dominate the battlefield and "play" with.

If people like me telling others that they should respect the roots of DCS is what keeps people from coming here then I don't know what to say to you...

Also... I've never been chosen for anything here... Not even sure what you're on about.

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

LOL :). I don't hate dude. Anything. I just disagree with you. I'm ok with that :).

Hate is not the same thing as not agreeing with you man :).

an eventual AI Ka-52 to be a Group Leader would be VERY much appreciated

Yep, that would be great - or what they really used in Chechnya as a group leader for the Ka-50 - a Ka-29 with a shkvall and integrated into the data-link system:

kamov_ka29_helix_b.jpg

Cheers.

Google Translate

Yep, that would be great - or what they really used in Chechnya as a group leader for the Ka-50 - a Ka-29 with a shkvall and integrated into the data-link system:

http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/kamov_ka29_helix_b.jpg

This modification of the Ka-29 was called the Ka-29VPNTsU. Not only the I-251V Shkval-V was installed on it, the K-041 Rubicon piloting, navigation and targeting system (the same as on the Ka-50) was installed fully on this helicopter. The NUV-1UM armament (GShG-7.62 machine gun) was dismantled. Instead, the KABRIS navigation system was installed in the machine-gun ′box′ in front of the aeronavigator-operator.

You have shown the later photo of this board. At least until 2002, he did not have the GOES-321 optical-electronic system under the cockpit.

233782.jpg

Takeoff2005-05-30.jpg

In Chechnya.

Original in Russian

Данная модификация Ка-29 называлась Ка-29ВПНЦУ. На него был установлен не только И-251В «Шквал-В», на данный вертолёт установили полностью прицельно пилотажный комплекс К-041 «Рубикон» (такой же, как на Ка-50). Было демонтировано вооружение НУВ-1УМ (пулемёт ГШГ-7,62). Вместо него в пулемётном «ящике» перед штурманом-оператором была установлена навигационная система КАБРИС.

Вы показали позднее фото данного борта. Как минимум до 2002 года он не имел оптико-электронной системы ГОЭС-321 под кабиной пилота.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
correction.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

I am just curious. To you guys who demand a FLIR and say you are tiderd of "only being able to fly day missions" and say it's "useless at night"

Why have you not even once commented or aknowledged the fact that the Helicopter performs exellent at night, when equipped with NVG's?

Have you even tried this?

Tone down all cockpit and instrument illumination - put on NVG's and turn down brightness of the Shkval.

It works perfectly.

You might not be able to get a LOCK with the Shkval - but it is in no way difficult to steer Vikhrs, even onto a moving target.

I have presented this argument many times, in a civilized manner - yet you just ignore it and just jammer on about how useless it is without FLIR?

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Yeah, that works somewhat, but still very dim. But the problem is, you can't get lock. This means you can't engage anything but a completely stationary target. If you keep trying to lase for range, which you need to get a correct laser cone , it restarts the laser cone, which means your going to lose your missile in flight. I'm not sure exactly how the EO corrects range for moving targets, but it does seem to control the laser cone, without having to restart it. This chopper just can't work at night without FLIR or some type of LLTV (Starlight) where it can get Lock.

Edited by 3WA

Thank you for responding.

But I do not understand what you mean. I have had no problems ever, to engage moving (ground) targets at night. No combat vehicle we have in DCS moves fast enough to get away. I mean, it's not like we are fighting formula 1 cars, is it? Just move your targeting box and the missile will smash them to pieces in no time.

The part about the laser cone went over my head. I lase once - get the range and fire. The system will update with (estimated) range when you move the sight.

It's not perfect - but very, very far from useless. I would still give you an estimate kill prob of 70-80%

You should really play around with this. Like every piece of equipment in DCS, practice makes perfect.

Learning how to use the systems is part of the fun - at least for me.

Nothing gets me more bored then LGBU bombing with Harrier from 15.000 meters with the TGP. It's just *yaaaawn* another automatic kill - why is there even a pilot in this seat? :D

Edit: I will just assume you have the Gazelle.

I wouldn't call it useless. I recon it's IRNV sight is as good as the Shkval with NVG's

But the range is almost halved and it has no ability to lock what so ever. I would go so far as to call it much less effective than the Shark. Even with IRNV/FLIR

Edited by Grodlund

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Well, supposedly, if you try to correct laser range with the missile about half way down the cone, the cone will reset (going very wide again), and your missile will lose contact with it, going wild. Yeah, your probably right about tanks. Though this will still definitely affect the fast movers like Fighters and Heli's, which are the greatest threat.

I don't have the Gazelle, but I'm betting that is terminal laser guidance. The Vhiker is a Beam Rider. With terminal laser guidance, you really don't need lock, as long as you can keep the laser trained on the target. The missile doesn't need range info, it will fly to wherever the end of that laser is. With beam riding, you have a cone of lasers. You NEED range info, constantly. The missile flies in a death spiral, hitting the walls of the laser cone. It starts out very wide to catch the missile in it after launch. But then it starts tightening the cone as the missile flies down range, making it narrower and narrower, depending on the range, until the missile is flying straight and true right before it hits the target. So see, you constantly need to know the range to target, especially against fast movers. I'm guessing the EO links with the laser, and handles this without resetting the laser cone.

There's a switch on the front console, that let's you switch from laser cone to terminal guidance lasing. In game, this is used if you are firing Kh-25 (which is terminal guidance).

In the end, it's just really annoying not having a dedicated night targeting system, on what otherwise appears to be a pretty modern copter.

x

Edited by 3WA

Nah - the HOT-3 are radio command guided SACLOS. You always have to manually track the target with the optics.

But as I said. I never had problems with the missile going wide after I adjust the sight to manually track with the Shkval at night.

The system will guesstimate the range after you move the sight, and does so well enough to guide the missile to it's target.

The secret is really to adjust the Shkval brightness and contrast untill you get a clear picture.

Night Vision Gain can also be controlled by the left-most knob. The one usually used for controling the HMS reticle brightness

Thanks. I will have to try this against helis, and see if the EO can hit them without having to manually range again ( which would reset the laser cone, and lose the missile). Maybe setting the Vhiker to forward hemisphere air target would get close enough to hit, even without lock.

How the EO works still seems somewhat mysterious.

"This chopper just can't work at night without FLIR or some type of LLTV (Starlight) where it can get Lock."

No hate dude... but this just isn't true.

As you seem to have decided that I just hate you somehow though... I'll leave you in the capable hands of Grodlund.

I will say though that the KA is not an anti-fighter weapon. It's passable if you happen to surprise a fast mover, and it can wreck choppers just fine... but it's going to be much more difficult at night to spot and attack anything in the air. It just wasn't made for that usage scenario. It can be done... but it's not the role the KA-50 fills.

I am sorry for the guys still don’t enjoy the night attack of the current Ka-50 version. For the people still don’t know you can do it please make a research in the forum. Not FLIR ok that’s true but anyway is a lot of fun doing old school way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem with night attack lies in the EO. As long as you can see the target, missiles that homed on a laser would work, like Kh-25ML. But the Vhiker is a beam rider, and must get constant range updates on a moving target, in order to shape the laser cone correctly. Without a Lock, which is not possible at night, it's not possible to keep ranging the target. If you try to, the cone resets to start, and you lose your missile in flight.

Not only do you have to account for moving targets, you also have to account for the movement of your helicopter. So, the only thing this would work against, is a stationary target while your helicopter is in a perfect hover.

So, yeah, we really need FLIR, so we can get a Lock. The whole copter just seems half-baked, and unfinished. I mean, even the GAZELLE has FLIR!

An interesting post by S.E. Bulba - it appears that the Ka-50 WAS dumped in the end, in favor of the Ka-52, as the Russians decided you really do need two men to guide a modern combat chopper.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3971224&postcount=48

So again, I say this was a Fantasy chopper all along. Unless ED is planning on making a Ka-52 sim, please give us FLIR so we can fly at night. And of course, some people want RWR.

And no, M1, I don't hate you, and I try not to hold grudges against anyone, hence why I erased my posts. Though calling my side "spoiled" and "whiny children" is not good debate.

x

Edited by 3WA

Did you know that you can launch a second Vikhr when the first is maybe 1/4 to the target, then another when the first is 1/2 way, then another at about 3/4, then kill possible up to 4 targets in "one shot"?

I suggest that you look into how.

The answer will tell you mostly why, in DCS, the KA-50 works just fine at night and w/o a "lock".

Yeah, I hear that, but also I have been told that the cone actually resets whenever you fire a new missile (which makes sense! The cone has to catch it.), and that would lose your other missile. I remember this was discussed a few days back in these threads. There seem to be some things "in game" that are not quite reality. Like there is no REAL contrast simulation of the EO. So, I will have to try study what is exactly happening "in game" compared to what happens "in reality". Also, turning up the brightness till you can dimly see in the dark is kind of a scam / cheat. Plenty of people do this in FPS games to simulate night vision by just upping their gamma until night becomes day. :) This, of course, doesn't happen in reality.

Really want them to bring the systems on this chopper much closer to reality.

Edited by 3WA

(...)turning up the brightness till you can dimly see in the dark is kind of a scam / cheat. (...) Really want them to bring the systems on this chopper much closer to reality.

You want a system the aircraft never had - added - to bring the helicopter closer to reality ?

Cheers.

it is a good question. The laser code option should be there for Ka-50. Also Su-25A/T should be updated with this option to put Ka-50v3 in a very fun and useful task as laser pointer for russian fixed wing.

+1