Microsoft Force Feedback Patent was expired

2019 April 12th yesterday, finally microsoft force feedback patent was expired!

I have MS FFB2, still good condition, but I expect NEW FFB!

Cheer up! TM, VKB, VIRPIL and Brunner-swiss

Cf. I think brunner-swiss already have FFB stick, not apply DCS, but now they can apply DCS with firmware upgrade. Anyone know about that?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5742278A/en

I've written about this before on Reddit, but I believe that the biggest issues holding back force feedback are the engineering challenges, relatively small user base, poor support in games, and the high cost. Despite what's been parroted around the internet, I don't believe that the patent is the real issue that's holding back FFB development. Below is what I posted on Reddit:

The first is the engineering required to make one. Standard spring-based joysticks are easy; anyone can make one with off-the-shelf parts. The commercial joysticks that we buy are at their core really just upscale versions of what someone can do in their garage. A FFB joystick is a different beast. Not only does it require specialized circuitry to control the motors and prevent them from getting damaged, but it also requires specialized firmware to implement the various FFB effects correctly. It's at least several steps above what it takes to make a spring-based one.

Second, support in games has been dwindling to almost nothing. Aside from IL:2, RoF, DCS, and FSX, virtually no games support FFB. Support in DCS is spotty as well. Aircraft like the Su-25T, TF-51D, and reportedly the Tomcat will implement additional effects such as the stick force getting stronger as speed increases and stall shake, but the other aircraft only uses centering, making it scant better than a spring-based stick.

Third, the user base is very small. Combat flight sims are a niche within a niche within a niche (serious simulation games -> flight sims -> combat flight sims), and the number of people who are interested in FFB is fairly low. Coupling the high cost of development and the low projected sales figures, that means that in order to make a profit, the cost per unit will have to be fairly high. We can see this in the GA market, where force feedback yokes start at $1,000.

Lastly is the patent issue. There's this overwhelming belief that it was Immersion that killed the FFB stick and that if the patents weren't an issue, companies would jump at the opportunity. However, this doesn't really line up with reality. By the time Immersion sued Sony and Microsoft in 2002, the combat flight sim market was already dying, and the number of games that supported FFB was just as paltry back then as it is now. Also, patents exist to be licensed; it makes no sense for Immersion to hold on to the patent and refuse to license it out, or at a price point that only a few select companies can afford. I'm sure if someone expressed serious interest in licensing, Immersion can work out a deal with them, because some money is better than no money at all.

Likely the main reason why we haven't seen many FFB devices in the past years is simply due to economics that don't make sense; expensive development, limited user base, low projected sales, poor game support, and a high sales price mean that, even without any patent issues in the way, it would be an extremely risky endeavor for any company to pursue.

If you’re going to get a FFB stick that’s reasonably well built you’re going to be looking at $1000. There really aren’t many people who would be looking to spend that much.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.