An idea of VR cockpit - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
ravenzino

Default An idea of VR cockpit

Hi all,

Played in VR for a while. I've got a basic setup with HOTAS, Paddle and the VR headset of course.

As many VR simmers, the poor/unreal/lack of hand interaction with cockpit instrument is always bothering me.

While I'm thinking of buying a Cougar MFD but still worrying about mistakenly pushing one button for another due to unable to see either them or my hands in VR, I was wondering:
1. is there a way to accurately project my hands in VR environment?
2. is there a way to accurately align the physical MFD as those in game? (F/A-18C for example as I mostly fly)

If both are achievable, it could become the ultimate solution to create a real "Mixed Reality" VR cockpit, as now you can see your hands in VR, you can see your finger moving towards MFD button (or any other button/switch/nob), and while your VR finger is touching the VR button, your hand will actually touch the physical button too. What you see is now aligned with what you feel! Given the increasingly available electronic devices (button/switch/nob, and control board) and 3D printing, creating a high fidelity cockpit for VR is probably more practical than ever.

Now, for projecting hands/fingers in game, I got the impression through searching on the internet that the Leap Motion might be up for the work. But can anyone confirm its actual performance and limitation? Will it truly fit for this purpose? Its accuracy and coverage are my main concerns.

For alignment of physical MFD/button/switch/nob with those in VR, the only practical way that I know is probably using in game "Reset View" function while also making sure the MFD/button/switch/nob are exactly matching their in game position/size... have anyone tried this, or is there any better way to achieve the same?

btw, I'm using WMR / Samsung O+, was amazed by its inside-out tracking capability especially that I can't feel any drift over lengthy use. This is partially the reason why I come up with this idea.

Any thoughts?

* Please forgive my noobness if this has been discussed before...

Aircrafts:
` Primary: F/A-18C
` Secondary: A-10C, UH-1
` To be mastered: AV-8B, F-14, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII
` Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?

Maps: PG, NTTR
ravenzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
BIGNEWY

I used to have physical cockpits and fly with thrackIR, I only fly in VR now. I have removed a lot of my cockpit, but still have switches on my left and a landing gear lever, I dont have any problem finding them, it is all about muscle memory, you will get used to the position of your devices.

I have a WMR headset and dont use the pass through, I have had no need to.
Forum rules - Crash advice - Cleanup and repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Svsmokey

For the Rift , i extend a finger while using the touch controller to sync . Do WMR controllers have the capacitive sensing function ?

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
BIGNEWY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsmokey View Post
For the Rift , i extend a finger while using the touch controller to sync . Do WMR controllers have the capacitive sensing function ?
Not sure, I don't own any WMR controllers
Forum rules - Crash advice - Cleanup and repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Svsmokey

So- there are a lot of considerations . It is possible to do as you say ( I synched my throttle location using the touch controller as i said , and will sync my stick position if my Foxx mounts ever show up ) but the road will be long and convoluted . There are various methods of putting VR hands in the cockpit , including Leap motion , Captogloves and the relatively new VR Gloves . As controllers , the first two are not quite ready for prime time , according to what i have read . But purely as hand trackers , surely they would be somewhat better . Tracking issues may still arise for switches behind the stick or throttle depending on the system . Also , can you switch off the control function (and haptics if so equipped) and is the system compatible with the DCS moving arm ? No disembodied hands floating around the cockpit for me , and that goes double for disembodied ghostly blue hands !
There is also the minor matter of building a cockpit to exact scale . Most pitbuilders deviate somewhat from perfect scale for any number of reasons . It may even be very difficult to obtain exact-scale plans for the aircraft you wish to replicate . The problem is easily seen by the use of Cougar MFDs for example , which are undersized relative to most IRL aircraft . While it may save some time building a VR cockpit as opposed to a projection simpit (no backlighting , lettering or displays) , one would still have to invest a lot of time and money building , wiring and incorporating all those panels and controls . I should mention that it would also be possible to build "dummy" haptics-only panels , and use the controller functions of your hand-tracking solution , but again , most do not seem quite fully capable yet .
In short , it is an interesting possibility , one that i have given a lot of thought to , but one that would take hundreds of hours to effect ,and that for ONE aircraft . Too many hours and too much expense for this old man

"Hold my beer"
Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
nessuno0505

Maybe you can buy two MFDs, try to put them in the right position and then learn to find them with muscle memory, as you do with your hotas and mouse. No need to track your hands in the virtual space or to use touch controllers. I do not have MFDs but could be something to try
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
Svsmokey

Yeah , i like the idea of a UFC and 2 MFDs as a compromise . Brun's looks really good , for example , and Blue73's renders are awesome as well . I don't use touch controllers in-game as well .

"Hold my beer"

Last edited by Svsmokey; 04-09-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #8
lucky-hendrix

As other said , IMO, having your hands in game is really not necessary. Within days you will have muscle memory of were the switches are and that even if not exactly to scale

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
lucky-hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
ruskybeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenzino View Post
While I'm thinking of buying a Cougar MFD but still worrying about mistakenly pushing one button for another due to unable to see either them or my hands in VR, I was wondering:
1. is there a way to accurately project my hands in VR environment?
2. is there a way to accurately align the physical MFD as those in game? (F/A-18C for example as I mostly fly)

I use VR 100% of time and I use MFD's as well. I've placed them much lower than in a real cockpit, just above my knees so that I can see them perfectly though a nose gap

Last edited by ruskybeaver; 04-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
ruskybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
Harlikwin

You should look at point control. In the main I/O forum. Bascially finger/mouse tracking. No need for a virtual pit.