Do I need 32GB of Memory now?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you don't.

If you have a pile a cash to burn, sure, go to up 32gb and future proof the PC as more RAM never hurts.

You'll not really see that much benefit for DCS though at this point. Doubly so with the recent news ED are about to release a much improved memory manager.

Edited by Buzzles

Yep, you will. It was a very noticeable difference. I certainly am not the only person that will tell you this.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I currently have 16 GB of RAM, but would I benefit a lot more from having 32GB and how would this benefit me? Thank you!

You really should put all of your system specs in your signature, so that way it's easy for people to answer these questions :D

The newest version of DCS 2.5 uses much less memory, both system RAM and video card RAM. So, if you *really* wanna beef up your rig, get a killa video card like a GTX 1080 Ti which has 11GB of video memory, and stick with 16GB system RAM.

With the 11GB vid card, I'd suspect that DCS will run just fine on only 8GB system RAM.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

You really should put all of your system specs in your signature, so that way it's easy for people to answer these questions :D

The newest version of DCS 2.5 uses much less memory, both system RAM and video card RAM. So, if you *really* wanna beef up your rig, get a killa video card like a GTX 1080 Ti which has 11GB of video memory, and stick with 16GB system RAM.

With the 11GB vid card, I'd suspect that DCS will run just fine on only 8GB system RAM.

AD

How do you mean that ED have released a update with the memory issue fixed? Did this just happen? (im not with my computer)

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

AD

This: DCS uses at the most 5GB even in hosting/connected multiplayer on my rig (even pre lastest patch)

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

Well in SP using VR DCS uses about 6 to 7GB of RAM and about 8GB of Video RAM, in MP system RAM seems be around 7GB of RAM and 11GB of Video RAM.

Whilst system RAM usage is below 8GB there are other reasons to have more RAM as Windows attempts to manage whats loaded into system RAM and what Windows pages away to HDD/SSD in it's page file.

With DCS running and a few other apps loaded I generally have about 11 to12GB of system RAM in use so even if you have 16GB of system RAM Windows will still use it's paging file hence why 32GB is better. Having said that in my experience I would say 16GB would be beneficial 32GB even better.

So do you need 32GB, no. Will DCS and most anything else run better? Yes!

It's the same with the argument for an SSD over a conventional HDD simply put. Yes! DCS runs better with an SSD.

It really is a no brainer, more RAM and faster hardware will improve anything but you have to consider the return on investment. :)

Be aware some older CPU/mother boards combos may not support more than 16GB most will support 32GB but few will support 64GB of system RAM.

YMMV

Edited by FragBum

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I currently have 16 GB of RAM, but would I benefit a lot more from having 32GB and how would this benefit me?

I believe 16 GB is quite sufficient now.

Unless one actually runs out of RAM while running DCS, I just don't see how more RAM would boost DCS by even a single FPS.

Like the others said, if you give your complete specs, it's easier to give good advice, but right now, I think 32 GB of RAM is overkill.

How do you mean that ED have released a update with the memory issue fixed? Did this just happen? (im not with my computer)

This was announced just recently, and should come with one of the coming patches. It's not out yet, but shouldn't take too long.

You may want to ask yourself, who actually has 32 and who is speculating about it.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

An easy way to check whats going on is to use Task Manager and see if what RAM is allocated and what is being paged out to SSD/HDD

attachment.php?attachmentid=181777&stc=1&d=1522369572

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

An easy way to check whats going on is to use Task Manager and see if what RAM is allocated and what is being paged out to SSD/HDD

attachment.php?attachmentid=181777&stc=1&d=1522369572

if thats all the RAm one is using when running DCS than its clear that 16gb sufficient, and 32gb isn't needed.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

if thats all the RAm one is using when running DCS than its clear that 16gb sufficient, and 32gb isn't needed.

You may have missed the point and sure in that session I probably didn't have Chrome open it's a bit of a memory hog itself, however Windows memory management will start paging stuff into it's page file (virtual memory) and would have done so even with 10GB used and a total of 16GB available it's just the way it works.

All we are doing with 32GB is playing the numbers game putting off the requirement to commit stuff to page file and even better still, avoiding the necessity of swapping data between the page file and actually writing it back to RAM.

I think a lot of people miss what we are saying, will 32GB increase frame rate not likely, will it reduce stuttering and pauses, depends whats causing it, over use of CPU/GPU no different ball game, waiting for data to be read and written back to RAM,. Yes!

I don't think anyone has stated you need 32GB other then to say it will help and that the user needs to make that value choice based on return on investment. For me I also do photography and other stuff so it makes sense to have 32GB (64GB if I could afford it but that would be a ROI choice on my part.) when rendering RAWs to jpegs. It's just that even with 32GB I might get very occasional writes to the page file but under DCS I get no reads from the page file. :)

I would say wait at least until ED has released the patch with optimized memory management and then decide.

I decided not to spend almost 200 euro's for possibly a bit shorter loading time and maybe less micro-stutter (not that I really noticing any stutters).

I play almost exclusively single player campaigns in VR, DCS is installed on a SSD and windows/pagefile/dcs-user folder is installed on another SSD.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

I'm running VR and have noticed several times that my RAM was hitting ~15GB out of the 16GB I currently have.

I would say go for the 32GB if you can easily afford it.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm running VR and have noticed several times that my RAM was hitting ~15GB out of the 16GB I currently have.

I would say go for the 32GB if you can easily afford it.

Well I'm guessing people can slice and dice it any way they want however here's my memory usage online MP from tonight.

Teamspeak

Itunes

Chrome

DCS

Rift

Explorer

Task Manager

The usual suspects ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=182664&stc=1&d=1523878702

I'm not saying 32GB is required it is what it is, just saying. :D

AerobaticNTTRSever.JPG.42335fbba895c37d6d923a5bc6675320.JPG

A buddy of mine has 16gb and I have 32. We have the same system, i7 8700k, 1080ti. He constantly says his ram is eaten up similar to the posts here. I haven't checked but I'm able to run slightly higher settings than him. We both use the Samsung Odyssey and he said he's had to turn down settings. Lately I've noticed some heavy usage too, causing some not so smooth head movement on all high settings and pixel density of 1.5.

I may need to turn off msa as I have it at 2x right now. Dcs needs to be a bit more optimized. They are working on the memory issues I've heard.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Just try dropping PD down to 1.2 or 1.3 and see how that goes to start with. It's all a bit of a compromise at the moment. :)

Just try dropping PD down to 1.2 or 1.3 and see how that goes to start with. It's all a bit of a compromise at the moment. :)
Yea I tried pixel density of 1.0 in the odyssey. Everything is still nice and readable but with 1.5 you can see everything much crispier. I like 1.5 and don't want to go below that. Perhaps 1.4 PD may make my head movement a little smoother.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

@ FragBum, gotta ask.

Why are you running iTunes and Chrome while flying in DCS? It unnecessarily bloats your system resources. Just seems odd is all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I know this isn't a hardware forum, but for those that have gone from 16gb to 32gb, did you just add another 2 modules, totalling 16gb or did you have to replace your existing RAM with 4 modules, totalling 32gb. In the past I have had issues with unmatched pairs and wondered if this was still likely to be a problem?

I know this isn't a hardware forum, but for those that have gone from 16gb to 32gb, did you just add another 2 modules, totalling 16gb or did you have to replace your existing RAM with 4 modules, totalling 32gb. In the past I have had issues with unmatched pairs and wondered if this was still likely to be a problem?
I bought the ram that had the same serial number as the 16gb sticks that I had. So another 16gb set but made sure it was the same exact ram. If you mix two different model numbers you can have issues.

Yup, I had the problems when I had bought 2x2 sticks of "exactly" the same RAM and each pair worked fine in isolation, but putting all 4 in caused all sorts of memory related issues. The RAM supplier suggested that I should have bought all 4 as a matched set.

It might have been BS, but I'd rather not get my fingers burned again.

I was doing a new build so I bought 4 sticks.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Yup, I had the problems when I had bought 2x2 sticks of "exactly" the same RAM and each pair worked fine in isolation, but putting all 4 in caused all sorts of memory related issues. The RAM supplier suggested that I should have bought all 4 as a matched set.

It might have been BS, but I'd rather not get my fingers burned again.

You have to make sure the model number of your old ram matches the model number of the ram you are adding. I've been running mine like this for a while and everything works fine. Same timings, frequency, etc but most importantly same model number.