Oculus showcases "Advanced Hand Tracking" gloves

BIGNEWY

But you can rest your hand on a real stick and it will work similarly I am thinking. Perhaps a stick with gimbal but no sensors, use the glove as the pitch/roll read?

I last heard from Captoglove on 9th July, asking for a contact number, but nothing since....

Yes, with a real stick in place it could work, but I will be surprised if they can match the precision.

Same here, regarding last contact.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi Hannibal, I am in the same position as you.

I hope that the Captoglove, which I backed, will be programmable, maybe to suppress use of specific switches, eg fire button. I want to use the real switches on my cyclic and collective. But it also occurs to me that it will be great to manipulate the switches and dials on consoles and dash as shown in the video, better than a mouse. It may even prove to be a better read for the cyclic stick position than the Edtracker I am currently using for pitch and roll.

Or they may be a complete nightmare....

Gloves have to be tracked else there is a disconnect between my perception and in game pilot. If the rift and vive were not tracked.. then they would not make sense to use as headsets

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Gloves have to be tracked else there is a disconnect between my perception and in game pilot. If the rift and vive were not tracked.. then they would not make sense to use as headsets

They must be tracked in 3dof minimum, else you could not raise it above your head to click overhead buttons....

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

ok, captoglove looks cool..

practical, i dont think so.

i have a cyclic, and having a imaginary cyclic to fly with isnt going to cut it..

i rather hold on to a physical joystick.

my heli chair..

full-11822-116591-helicopter.jpg

Wouldnt happen to have some plans of this char lying around? I think recall a post about it as i bought the bike parts? What springs are those? What are you using for the cyclic base?

Thanks!

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

• 2 months later...

Just came across this captoglove thing which seems to be a great idea (however not quite cheap...). As I would also continue to use my HOTAS/pedals and just use the gloves for flicking the switches, I have downloaded the user manual and it seems that you have a mouse and keybord emulation mode, so you can just use the gloves for what you do with mouse and Keyboard and keep using the HOTAS for whatever is bound to that. To make sure, I have contacted the manufacturer and got the follwing reply (within a few hours):

++++

We are working together with ED because our CEO cooperates with them for some projects such as UH1. CaptoGlove can emulate and map any control. Therefore two gloves and a CaptoSensor can replicate collective cyclic and pedals. However the most expert players use a HOTAS but interaction with the cockpit is what is missing. So you can set up CaptoGlove to interact with items in the cockpit via mouse and keyboard emulation. Also, as it has pressure sensors so you can use not only bending to activate functions, but also pinching between index and thumb.Also, we are currently working with ED to furthermore integrate it in DCS. They have a full set on which they are working on.

+++

Shipping is said to be in Okober, so if any of you guys who odererd would give us your experiences that would be just great.

Edited by Red Squirrel

We are working together with ED because our CEO cooperates with them for some projects such as UH1. CaptoGlove can emulate and map any control. Therefore two gloves and a CaptoSensor can replicate collective cyclic and pedals. However the most expert players use a HOTAS but interaction with the cockpit is what is missing. So you can set up CaptoGlove to interact with items in the cockpit via mouse and keyboard emulation. Also, as it has pressure sensors so you can use not only bending to activate functions, but also pinching between index and thumb.Also, we are currently working with ED to furthermore integrate it in DCS. They have a full set on which they are working on

source? link?

Wouldnt happen to have some plans of this char lying around? I think recall a post about it as i bought the bike parts? What springs are those? What are you using for the cyclic base?

Thanks!

using pillow block bearings for the base.. not ideal..

if i had to go back in time, i would have just gotten a VPK gunfighter lol

but it was fun building. you can find alot of my photos somewhere on the simhq forums

source? link?

Not wishing to butt in, but he said its from an email he received from the developer.

" To make sure, I have contacted the manufacturer and got the follwing reply (within a few hours):

++++

We are working together with ED because our CEO cooperates with them for some projects such as UH1. CaptoGlove can emulate and map any control. Therefore two gloves and a CaptoSensor can replicate collective cyclic and pedals. However the most expert players use a HOTAS but interaction with the cockpit is what is missing. So you can set up CaptoGlove to interact with items in the cockpit via mouse and keyboard emulation. Also, as it has pressure sensors so you can use not only bending to activate functions, but also pinching between index and thumb.Also, we are currently working with ED to furthermore integrate it in DCS. They have a full set on which they are working on.

+++"

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

so WHO is the manufacturer or developer???

i think this is what you are talking about.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/09/oculus-gloves/

they said it was very far from being a retail product..

but the concepts for a glove, i believe will work effectively for DCS.

can only hope for such a peripheral!

edit.. i was wrong.

you are talking about these guys

https://www.captoglove.com/

i was thinking facebook..

Edited by hannibal

theres a video of the captoglove..

so far i am seeing it as an alternate control that wouldnt require a hotas for dcs.. :/

i was hoping that it would show virtual hands in game or something

https://www.captoglove.com/forums/topic/future-of-gaming/

i am not impressed by this product.

like what happens if you do an un-intended guesture, and then you release bombs or rockets by accident... :/

now if the gloves can put a virtual finger tip, and your free hand has mapped right mouse and left mouse and scroll, then i can see the gloves being useful like that...

let see where time takes us!

Edited by hannibal

theres a video of the captoglove..

so far i am seeing it as an alternate control that wouldnt require a hotas for dcs.. :/

i was hoping that it would show virtual hands in game or something

https://www.captoglove.com/forums/topic/future-of-gaming/

i am not impressed by this product.

like what happens if you do an un-intended guesture, and then you release bombs or rockets by accident... :/

now if the gloves can put a virtual finger tip, and your free hand has mapped right mouse and left mouse and scroll, then i can see the gloves being useful like that...

let see where time takes us!

I Kickstarter backed this project. I have a pair, and I met with one of the developers when he was at a show in London. I had to exchange my delivered pair for next size up, they come up small. Textile glove quality is excellent, Reusch mfg, makers of sports gloves.

The tech side is interesting, but I have to say, still a work in progress. I have used it in cockpit, but still need to fine-tune, and that takes time. I have seen video of it used in Huey, and have had similar results. But it is tricky. Its a bit like trying to play a Theremin!

It is effectively a mouse you control by moving your hand in space. Ideally, one would have some kind of latching focus to switches. As switches are operated left click for down, right click for up, I am still trying to work that out. There is also some kind of conflict with mouse pointer, cross versus white dot. And it tends to lose DCS focus.

An animated hand would be great of course. It is a promising start but definitely a work in progress, and intended for many other applications.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

680$ for what? (490$ pair of gloves and 190$ motion sensor)

Same level of experience you get with Leapmotion for just 50$. Come on who is crazy here?

Both have same problem and it is DCS 2D mouse in side 3D cockpit and this is only DCS issue not the gloves.

It is useless and way way expensive.

Actually you don´t have to spend USD 680 (I was under the same impression first and emailed the captoglove.com guys again). You don´t need the extra motion sensor for your hands, each glove has a built in sensor, you just need the extra sensor if you "want to track other body parts"...So for a starter it is "just" USD 250 for one glove.

Wormeaten, do you use the Leapmotion in DCS? I thought that wasn´t possible as of yet? If that really workes in DCS that would be fantastic...

Did you try it with the new Orion software? I hear that it made tracking a lot more precise.

I think it's quite impressive what they have accomplished by tracking just your bare hands.

Absolutely! But the physical HOTAS can also be a problem, unless it is physically placed where it is in the virtual world.

Imagine you're sitting in front of your desk, like many flightsimmers do. You reach out for the gear handle in front of you, to the left, and your hand stops when it reaches the desk...

It's the same with any physical hardware in your immediate vicinity. Especially the throttle has to be placed out of the way of any switches you may need to reach in the virtual cockpit. It could become a problem for many users who don't have the physical space available. OTOH it will probably be awesome for users who do have unobstructed space around them.

It will be fun to follow this development...

It is surely not difficult to map areas of virtual space to match the physical environment.

The alternative would be to position your peripherals to match a zone in virtual space. The desk issue is a very simple thing to fix - just move your chair back so you cannot reach your desk at full arm stretch.

Joystick and throttle could also simply be placed below the scanned area, and used as a separate input outside the sphere of VR hand manipulation.

I don't think there'd be any real game breakers if some thought is put into how to achieve what is required.

Wormeaten, do you use the Leapmotion in DCS? I thought that wasn´t possible as of yet? If that really workes in DCS that would be fantastic...

Unfortunately DCS got some problem because mixing 2D mouse cursor inside 3D 6DoF cockpit. Because of this conflict Leapmotion not work correctly in DCS.

But that is the only ED issue not othervise and only ED can fix it with implementing 3D 6DoF mouse cursor positioning inside 3D 6DoF cockpit.

Unfortunately DCS got some problem because mixing 2D mouse cursor inside 3D 6DoF cockpit. Because of this conflict Leapmotion not work correctly in DCS.

But that is the only ED issue not othervise and only ED can fix it with implementing 3D 6DoF mouse cursor positioning inside 3D 6DoF cockpit.

not ED issue.

people are using mouse and trackball fine.

leap motion just sucks.

but oddly enough, i went back to leap motion for a moment to try thr orion software..

i say oddly cause mouse cursor control when sensor was place on desk was ok... but put it in VR mode, it was terrible..

maybe some more time by leap motion devs..it could be better

not ED issue.

people are using mouse and trackball fine.

leap motion just sucks.

but oddly enough, i went back to leap motion for a moment to try thr orion software..

i say oddly cause mouse cursor control when sensor was place on desk was ok... but put it in VR mode, it was terrible..

maybe some more time by leap motion devs..it could be better

Leapmotion is 3D 6DoF mouse in essence. Trackball is 2D same way as mouse and is is suitable for 2D DCS mouse cursor tracking. That is why it is working but just working. You need to meke lot of unnatural move and kombine with unnaturale move of your head to work and that is point.

With Leapmotion you need to compensate your hand movement and head movement to make it work with that 2D 3D conflict.

With mouse/trackball just head movement and that is much more easier mostly because we get use to it from the past.

This problem is existing even with headtracking not just in VR.

Leapmotion is working perfectly in other games even in old FSX whit just minor adaptation. Same prob existing even on expansive motion gloves. So is it than Leapmotion problem or ED?

Same bullshit we got from ED in other issue so we could not say that SLI/CF for example is not working and blame Nvidia or AMD for it. We could not blame Intel or AMD because DCS using only one core properly especially today when number of cores rise rapidly. And how long this technology exist?

With every new version of DCS World demand for hardware resources is higher and higher and raising faster than technology progress and only because of the fact that ED din't do nothing to implementing new technologies in game. Multy core CPU are standard for 20 years now and in this 20 years they didn't do nothing about it. Similar story is with SLI/CF only it is not 20 years but definitely not less than 10.

We are in 21st century now for 17 years it is time for ED to step in same age as we are. Stop living in the past.